I can't figure this one out...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't figure this one out...

A toilet in one of the apartments I manage had to be flushed 3 times each use, according to the tenant. She never reported the problem until water backed up from the toilet to her tub.

I called in a pro plumber. He cleared the line - ran 75 feet of cabling. He also removed the toilet to run the auger, and he replaced the fill valve. But he said toilet still fills to rim when flushed and needs replacing.

I replaced the toilet - new one works great!

However, here's my question: why would that toilet fill to rim before flushing if there's no blockage in line?
    I still have the toilet and it's clean all through. All my other apartments have the same style and nobody else has this problem.

I'd really like to understand this. Thanks for your help.
    If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Re: I can't figure this one out...

Lift the flapper and check for a bowl cleaner of some type.
    Sometimes they will slip into the hole and lodge, causing the toilet to flush slowly.

I assume the Plumber would have noticed mineral build up and sometimes the bowl cleaner cakes are easy to overlook, especially white ones.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

You had a very old toilet, the jets under the rim were clogged causing the toilet not to swirl properly and flush. instead the water was just filling the bowl up until the trap overfilled and sucked the waste down.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Another possability is some people don't flush the toilet and let the urine sit and that can be the reason why the toilet in that apartment went bad. Also a backed up toilet would not cause a tub to back up.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the flapper opening and the jet holes. Didn't think of that!!

The backup was further down in the drain. There was a huge mass of hair that the plumber pulled out. It was located after where the tub and toilet tee-out to the main.

A few years ago, we discovered a belly in the lateral line and had 50 feet replaced. The 4 first-floor apartments used to back up every couple months. I'm thinking that the hair clog might have been a residual issue resulting from the old lateral problem. At least I hope so!
          If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Comment

there is also a jet at the bottum of toilet bowl some times it can get clogeged with calcium and toilet will not flush right . when you look in bowl its the apx. 3/4" hole opening at bottum of toilet if its clogged bingo hope that helps good luck
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

YEA! what he said. Thats what I was getting at, but not in so many words. thanks for elaborating on that.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheJob View Post
                A toilet in one of the apartments I manage had to be flushed 3 times each use,... why would that toilet fill to rim before flushing if there's no blockage in line?
                I still have the toilet and it's clean all through. All my other apartments have the same style and nobody else has this problem.

I'd really like to understand this. Thanks for your help.
                Sounds like a restriction in the toilet's outlet channel.
                After they hand snaked their toilet, with still poor flow I removed a friend's toilet.
                A childs toy remained in the outlet channel. It was very difficult to see looking in from the bottom.

Poorly flushing toilets in a house I was able to get to flush like new by removing mineral build-up from the each of the holes in the flush rim.

For build-up in the bowl jet, if there is one, I slowly poured white vinegar in the bowl and let the acidic viegar work over night.

They flush like new.
                I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

the rim holes are very important. here is a short video on the subject.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1711770754

Comment

She uses pipe cleaners.
                    The minerals obstructing the water flow from the rim holes was too hard for pipe cleaners to remove.
                    I used a Phillips head screwdriver which matched the rim holes.

What a difference?

I should also have done several applications of white vinegar but never bothered.
                    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
                    X