Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re-Plumbing a House

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
    Tool is to large for a lot of areas, constant head changes and debris considerations (none with my tool), and live in a cold climate slowing the return of the pipe, and my neck/shoulders are paying their dues from doing field work to long...if I have to pump that thing constantly I will not be able to move my arms. For me it makes sense physically and time wise...I can hit a 1", 3/4", and 1/2" before you change the head the first time.
    I understand the head changes, cool climate, and oh boy do I understand the neck/shoulder issue. Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "debris consideration". Also I was thinking you could maybe save a little money using Pex B or C if you are not using the expander. Just asking

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
      Tool is to large for a lot of areas, constant head changes and debris considerations (none with my tool), and live in a cold climate slowing the return of the pipe, and my neck/shoulders are paying their dues from doing field work to long...if I have to pump that thing constantly I will not be able to move my arms. For me it makes sense physically and time wise...I can hit a 1", 3/4", and 1/2" before you change the head the first time.

Why not buy the cordless expander? They work.

A crimper is faster, but I prefer the expansion joint in Wirsbo (Now Uponor) because the PEX is always trying to return to it's original size, whereas the crimp is the best it's ever going to be the moment it's crimped.

Also, the expansion type joints have a greater inside diameter and so are less restrictive to flow than the crimp joints.

All this said, I prefer copper pipe in most instances.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Debris in the head. I am a firm believer that a clean joint is a happy joint. I can count on one hand how many leaks I have in a year. I do not sit behind a desk. I am in the field doing what I love everyday. I also keep my tools oiled and working freely. Oil and crawlspaces don't mix when keeping a clean joint.

I also do mostly hydronic work. When one puts a product poured in concrete, one best be confident when standing behind it. I have had to many failures with their way to put it in a slab. Why would I still consider it above slab? I don't always follow the rules, especially when the rules are stupid. I follow what is tested and has proven itself for my customers and me, while meeting code.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
          Why not buy the cordless expander? They work.

A crimper is faster, but I prefer the expansion joint in Wirsbo (Now Uponor) because the PEX is always trying to return to it's original size, whereas the crimp is the best it's ever going to be the moment it's crimped.

Also, the expansion type joints have a greater inside diameter and so are less restrictive to flow than the crimp joints.

All this said, I prefer copper pipe in most instances.
          Copper has been around how many years?? Pex and the rest?? Must agree copper is still the best until the other stuff proves itself.
          Last time I try to fix it myself. Next time I will hire a PROFESSIONAL.

Comment

Originally posted by xooma View Post
            Here is a thought how about hiring someone who has the experience. I don't get it how we give free advice and then complain when we have no work.
            If I had a ton of money, I'd be happy to hire someone to do it, but I don't.

Comment

Working...
            X