X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Plumbing a House

I recently purchased a house that has all the old galvanized plumbing. Since I am redoing lots of stuff in the house anyway, I thought I'd go ahead and replace the plumbing as well. I was set to go with copper, but then I heard that some water actually corrodes copper. If that is so, under what conditions does this happen? I plan on installing a water softener, as the water is quite hard where I live if that has any bearing on it. I'm aware that a lot of people are going with PEX instead of copper. What are the advantages and disadvantages of that over copper? I also wanted to replace the main shutoff valve with a brass ball valve. Am I going to have problems with corrosion if I attach it to the galvanized supply line?

Re: Re-Plumbing a House

No. Brass and Galvy are fine. When we go galvy to copper, We run a 3" brass nipple for electroceses.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

In my area, in New York, the plumbers I know direct me to not mix brass and galvanized. I've also personally come across substantially corroded galvanized when connected to brass pipe. So as a rule I never mix either copper or brass with galvanized. (Brass contains copper)

Not sure if this is an area difference or if I have some signals crossed - I am not a plumber. This is just what I know from my experience.

Good luck with your project!

Comment

brass has no electrolisis with galv. you will be fine with brass ball valve on galv pipe thats what they are made for just like dielectrics there made of brass and galv. as for hard water ading water sofener is good idea
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Water softener great idea. Pex over copper is an even better choice. Copper that is not reamed or installed incorrectly has a life of 15-20 years before cavitation eats through the pipe; installed correctly 50 years on average. Pex is going to last longer than the house will stand. Pex does not burst or split if it freezes. Pex is easy to add or move pipes in the future and can create several fewer joints on a system because of it's flexibility. I do not pipe houses with copper anymore unless that is all the customer wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
            Water softener great idea. Pex over copper is an even better choice. Copper that is not reamed or installed incorrectly has a life of 15-20 years before cavitation eats through the pipe; installed correctly 50 years on average. Pex is going to last longer than the house will stand. Pex does not burst or split if it freezes. Pex is easy to add or move pipes in the future and can create several fewer joints on a system because of it's flexibility. I do not pipe houses with copper anymore unless that is all the customer wants.
            Are there issues with PEX leaking or bursting? The first thing that came up when I google PEX was a link to some lawyers web sites for a suit about PEX leaking.

Comment

Pex is like any other type of pipe. If you don't do it right, there can be leaks. In the last 7 years of using this product I have only had 2 leaks. Both were from the cinch ring being off position because of difficult access to the joint. I have taken a piece of pex capped on each end and filled with water and put in and out of the freezer for months trying to make it fail...it did not. There are some older pipes like poly or qwest pipe that had many failures and lawsuits. This is not the same pipe of yesterday.

Comment

Pex is like any other type of pipe. If you don't do it right, there can be leaks. In the last 7 years of using this product I have only had 2 leaks. Both were from the cinch ring being off position because of difficult access to the joint. I have taken a piece of pex capped on each end and filled with water and put in and out of the freezer for months trying to make it fail...it did not. There are some older pipes like poly or qwest pipe that had many failures and lawsuits. This is not the same pipe of yesterday.
                Which is the best brand of PEX? Are the crimping tools universal? Do you use a gauge to ensure that you have a good crimp like I saw in a video on PEX?

Comment

Wirsbo is what we mostly use. As for the connector, I will never use an expansion style. I prefer using Watts cinch rings. This allows one tool to do all sizes without head changes. The rings are stainless steel and are like butterfly crimps. The tool will not release until the crimp is fully made.

Comment

Wirsbo is great. There are many types of pex the most common ones are. A B C type A is better it is more flexable and if it does kink you can fix it with a heat gun. Type A is the only one you can use the expander tool on. I would use it in my own house and not think twice about it. I use it on heatinging systems so I use one with an oxygen barrier. You dont need that for domestic water.

Comment

Here is a thought how about hiring someone who has the experience. I don't get it how we give free advice and then complain when we have no work.
                      Last time I try to fix it myself. Next time I will hire a PROFESSIONAL.

Comment

Wirsbo is what we mostly use. As for the connector, I will never use an expansion style. I prefer using Watts cinch rings. This allows one tool to do all sizes without head changes. The rings are stainless steel and are like butterfly crimps. The tool will not release until the crimp is fully made.
                        Just curious why you wouldnt use the expander tool if you are using Wirsbo which is Pex A and specifically calls for the expander.

Comment

Tool is to large for a lot of areas, constant head changes and debris considerations (none with my tool), and live in a cold climate slowing the return of the pipe, and my neck/shoulders are paying their dues from doing field work to long...if I have to pump that thing constantly I will not be able to move my arms. For me it makes sense physically and time wise...I can hit a 1", 3/4", and 1/2" before you change the head the first time.

Comment

Tool is to large for a lot of areas, constant head changes and debris considerations (none with my tool), and live in a cold climate slowing the return of the pipe, and my neck/shoulders are paying their dues from doing field work to long...if I have to pump that thing constantly I will not be able to move my arms. For me it makes sense physically and time wise...I can hit a 1", 3/4", and 1/2" before you change the head the first time.
                            Ahhhhh.....but it is not the approved connection by Uponor which would eliminate all warranties and liability on connections.

Just a tip to think about.

J.C.

Comment

I back my work. Not to worried about factory warranties for more than a few parts. Plus I have never had a failure after leaving the site satisfied with the job. Other than a yahoo with a nail gun...If the tool don't fit, I don't quit.

Comment

Working...
                              X