Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does EasyWater(tm) water softener work?

I am willing to put my money up to find the answer. Any nah sayers willing to make a wager? The scope is $250 and is USB Digital. No taking my word for it...you see it. If it works...dinner for my wife and I, seeing as I will get a lecture for doing this...better make her happy. Otherwise I will find a lesser model and you can take my word for what I see.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      there is absolutely no physics behind it whatsoever. In order for any magnetic, radio frequency, or electric field to effect water flowing through a pipe at all the equipment would be larger than the house and use as much electricity as a factory. I have spent better than 20 years doing research on these scams ( and they are scams ) Not one single product has ever met the claims made by the manufacturer, NOT ONE. No they do not soften water, they in fact do nothing to water. They can not do anything to water because in order for them to do as claimed they would have to violate several laws of physics and chemistry. Sorry to be so brutal here but this crap has been on and off the market for many many years. The people that push this garbage hide behind " customer endorsements" which when you begin really digging turn out to be "paid" endorsements or endorsements made by friends, workers and family members. I have put several of these units through extensive, scientific testing with predictable results. I have been threatened with lawsuits by a couple of manufacturers ( though the folded like a cheap suitcase when I offered to go to court) Anybody can google " water treatment scam" and find a number of sites by chemists and physics instructors that will lay out in exhaustive detail exactly why these products can not work and still, folks get suckered into buying them. You may as well believe in Sasquatch or Roswell aliens.

One more thing on the magnetic field scams. Calcium is not magnetic. It is non ferrous. Sprinkle some on the table and see what effect even the strongest neo dimeum magnet has on it. None, zippo, nada.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
        I am willing to put my money up to find the answer. Any nah sayers willing to make a wager? The scope is $250 and is USB Digital. No taking my word for it...you see it. If it works...dinner for my wife and I, seeing as I will get a lecture for doing this...better make her happy. Otherwise I will find a lesser model and you can take my word for what I see.
        May I suggest checking out American Science & Surplus http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/.../4/category/43
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Guys wait before you spend more hard earned cash on this. I have tested this thing. I have had it installed and operating under a variety of water conditions in my lab. We have tested the water in house and sent the samples off to UNH chem lab for analysis. In every case there was no difference between untreated and treated samples. Even if ( and it won't) it did round off the calcium you have to remember that we are talking calcium in solution at the mgl state. Here is a fact. Not one single one of these products ( and there have been a whole lot of them over the years ) has ever stood up to scientific testing. Not one single laboratory has ever given one of these things the seal of approval or even a marginal one. Every single positive claim is from untrained, unscientific folks giving it their endorsement. They don't work, because they can not work. And I don't want to even give credence to the old "well I don't have to prove it does work because you can't prove that it doesn't" because yes I can, so can a bunch of other scientists. Just because you refuse to believe the truth does not change the facts.
          sigpic

Comment

I am also a Ham Radio Operator, ka7gkn
            This topic was discussed a while back as I was very concerned
            about RFI [Radio Frequency Interference].

I must agree the voodoo science here is simply snake oil!

If you want soft water, get a water softener. As mentioned in another post do not drink the water during a regenerating cycle..This is likely why most softeners are set to regenerate during the middle of the night.

Also it has been discussed that the discharge will have minimal effect on septic systems...I am on septic without any challenges.

Can't lift those nasty 40lbs bags of salt? Well, they do sell 25lb bags.

The way my softener is plumbed I have both the cold and hot water
            softened...Many installations just soften the hot water!

I use a reverse osmosis system for my "drinking and cooking" cold water. Using a TD tester [total dissolved solids] I get typical readings as follows:

hot from faucet...475
            cold from faucet..475
            RO water ........... 33

Re-plumbing my home from "rusty 25 year old" galvanized
            pipe to WISBRO-PEX I notice that the RO [reverse osmosis] filters
            are lasing a whole lot longer, and the TDS values are significantly lower.

Cactus Man

Comment

Correct
              The salt process of softeners, sodium chloride is used to regenerate the resin bed. Many people get confused that the sodium levels increase dramatically. Which it does not, a properly working softener rinses the majority of the sodium to drain during rinse since it is the chlorides of sodium choride that exchanges ions with the resin bed to recharge the softener.*
              So the minimal salt trace added is barely measurable

For the health concious, that wish to eliminate all potential sodium added their diet will use potassium chloride for thier softeners at almost twice the cost per bag.*

Comment

If we obtain a water softener, should we go with potassium chloride or sodium chloride?

Thank you.
                I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

It depends on which mine is closer to you as cost of the product. In Colorado sodium is far less expensive. As for salt in the drinking water, one slice of white bread contains as much if not more salt than a softener introduces. Most units also have an automatic bypass in them now too. So when they are regenerating you do not get the brine solution if water is used.

Comment

I am also a Ham Radio Operator "KF4MM" and they don't work. I am also a water well driller and pump repair man. I have seen these things over and over in advertising. I can honestly say I have only seen one at a customers. It was a long time ago and didn't even have electricity. Just a simple plastic box strapped around a pipe with hose clamps and a couple magnets inside. And again, it didn't work.

I did have a customer buy one before allowing us to install his softener to wash his boat. He paid almost $1000.00 for this thing. It was a really neat looking device, he had it installed and again "it didn't work". We put in the softener and he was happy.

If we obtain a water softener, should we go with potassium chloride or sodium chloride?
                    Go with the salt, the Pot Chloride will just cost a lot more and be used up faster for the same result.
                    Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Here is my take on this.........

The magnet folks sell "scale inhibitors" not softeners. They reduce scale formations for a short time then they seem to quit doing that. A softener will REMOVE the hardness not just sequester it. Scale inhibitors do not reduce your soap usage or give you that silky soft feeling out of the shower. Your clothes will still be stiff and wear prematurely. A softener also removes other constituents out of the water like Iron, barium and lead to name a few common ones.

23 year Culligan Man and President of the Colorado Water Quality Association.

Comment

These things have a remarkable separating effect. They separate a fool from his money. Just like the fuel line magnets, or the little grapefruit-slicer turbulence thing that goes in your car's intake air duct. It's all nonsense.

There is no legitimate science behind this. You'll read about magnets imparting a "surface charge" to the the magnesium and calcium... pure baloney. Ions are PART of a molecule... they don't even HAVE a "surface" in the context of a "surface charge". Calcium and magnesium exist in water as IONS... which by definition are already charged becasue they are missing an electron in their outer shell. Putting them through a magnetic field can't and doesn't change that. Until you get to the point where you are stripping off all the electrons and creating a plasma. Somehow I doubt if the Easywater is creating plasma.

And no you can't change the shape of a water molecule with a magnet, either. Pure horsefeathers.

You will not be able to find any legitimate chemical or electrochemical description of what is happening..... probably because nothing is happening. THese people are criminals.

Consumer's Reports actually tested these things (maybe not the "easywater" version) some time ago by installing on one of two tank-type hot water heaters fed from the same water source. After a prolonged test (I've forgotten how long they tested) there was no difference in the scale formation.

Ion exchange water softeners remain the only practical technology. I suppose you could use reverse osmosis, but the water consumption and size of the filter needed would both be huge and impractical.

Ion exchange works by replacing the hardness (Ca+ and Mg+) ions with sodium (or potassium). You are putting sodium ions into the water to replace the calcium and magnesium ions, but as mentioned it's tiny amounts. Sodium doesn't create scale or react poorly with soaps like traditional calcium and magnesium ions do, so hard water problems essentially go away. If you taste any salt in the water after the softener does a regeneration cycle, you need to increase the rinse time -- most softener controllers are programmable -- so that all of the saturated brine is flushed out of the resin tank more completely.

I am surprised at the report that if you use water while the system is in the midst of a regen you will taste salt. Mine goes into bypass. You will get hard water, but no brine gets into the house plumbing.

I use sodium chloride. It's $3.99 for 40 pounds at Costco, $4.99 elsewhere. Potassium Chloride is very expensive here in my area - $19 for 40 pounds. Still, it's desirable under either of two conditions: First, you're on a sodium-restricted diet. The second condition is debatable - that is, if your plumbing would use the salt water for lawn irrigation. After many years, the sodium build up could damage your lawn. Seems to me that this would take a loooooong time, but I know nothing about plant biology so maybe it's a concern. I put bypasses in my repipe job last year so that the hose bibs and sprinklers don't use soft water. Even if sodium on the lawn isn't a real problem, this saves money and water.

But I DID bring soft water out to one hose bib at the driveway for car washing. No water spots... very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                          ...But I DID bring soft water out to one hose bib at the driveway for car washing. No water spots... very cool.
                          That is my plan. I have installed a freeze-proof spigot inside the garage near the front for washing vehicles.
                          When I was washing the Expedition, a hospital called for an emergency delivery.
                          With no time to dry anything, the glass dried covered with white spots. Heading west into the sun, we had to use the windshield wipers and washer to clear the windshield so that we could see out.
                          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

What is the deal here ? NHmaster did you buy a easywater devise? Is that what you tested? I need to know I have been set up to sell these things thought it may be an easy way to get in to acid neutralizer and iron filter installs and gain a plumbing customer . But I can not sell something that does not work ! I have one of these and am planing on hooking it up this weekend to see what the deal is I have a hach test kit coming any day now the people from "easywater" are sending me leads to put these things in problem they are having is all these people have other problems Iron & P.H. so tell me what you know.

Comment

I also plan to make a call to the owner of the easywater company to question him about it. I have his number and extension. I don't want my name getting a bad rap due to a product that does not work!

Comment

Working...
                              X