Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does EasyWater(tm) water softener work?

They say that they explain how it works, but they do not.
    http://www.easywater.com/howitworks.aspx

Anyone know about this?
    With my knowledge in chemistry, this sounds like a scam to me.

Thank you,

Robert
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Does EasyWater(tm) water softener work?

Easy Water is based on Faraday's Law of Magnetics. The idea of the item is sound and can be researched better by looking under Faraday. I have one customer that put one in and they are happy with the water. The unit does not soften the water nor does it remove anything. It is suppose to reshape the molecule's outer edges to round them and there by causing it to be less likely to adhere to pipes, faucets, and other fixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
      Easy Water is based on Faraday's Law of Magnetics. The idea of the item is sound and can be researched better by looking under Faraday. I have one customer that put one in and they are happy with the water. The unit does not soften the water nor does it remove anything. It is suppose to reshape the molecule's outer edges to round them and there by causing it to be less likely to adhere to pipes, faucets, and other fixtures.
      Thank you.
      That is what they claim.
      But how?
      And, does it work?
      As a HAM radio operator I have experience with a variety of radio frequencies and high voltages.
      Applying an rf signal to a piece of copper pipe does not mean any signal will get into the water.
      If signal does get into water, what affect will it have on minerals in water?
      If this worked, I'd expect water companies to use it to diminish mineral build-up in their thousands of miles of pipe.
      And customers would likely be happy to pay a little extra to have such water.

Comment

The verdict is still out and will be for sometime. The unit was installed maybe 6 weeks ago. They are very specific about the installation based on type and size of pipe, number of wraps along the pipe, and single or double layered. They are equally demanding of the neat quality of the wrap. The unit senses the current and has a monitor light. I can't test the water after the unit because we have removed nothing. I will be rechecking the system in the next several weeks and get an update from the client.

Comment

Guy on telephone says, "it uses only 21 Watts".

"Signal wire" wraps around copper incoming water line.
          Due to Faraday Effect, how does "signal" get through copper pipe to water?

With the speed of water (which has quite strong molecular bonds) through the pipe, how can the external coil have an effect?

Supposedly alters calcium and magnesium minerals in the water so that "they do not stick".
          He also says it causes water droplets to be smaller. Said they are often "8 molecules". (Haha! Maybe 8 billion.)

If it "softens" water without replacing calcium and magnesium with sodium, this would be great.

If we install a salt water softener, would it be.st to run a 1/4 inch line from before the softener to the refrigerator ice-maker/water dispenser?
          Presumably we would be consuming less salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post

If we install a salt water softener, would it be.st to run a 1/4 inch line from before the softener to the refrigerator ice-maker/water dispenser?
            Presumably we would be consuming less salt.
            Salt softeners are not really adding salt to the water. I was always told the salt was to wash the media during a backwash cycle, as long as you do not use any water during a backwash cycle there should not be any large amounts of salt in your drinking water. My mom's house is on a well and has a large salt type softener, and I can tell you that when it regenerates the water is softer, and does not have a salty taste to it. But if someone wakes up during the regeneration cycle and uses the water, it will have a slightly strong salty taste to it.

Now I am not saying there is no salt in the water after it regenerates, I never analyzed the water other than checking for softness. Just telling you what I have noticed and been told.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Tell you what. Send me the money, I'll wave my magic wand and you will get the same results. Easy Water is a scam.
              sigpic

Comment

The unit does not soften water. When you wrap a copper coil and pass electricity across it, you make a magnet...physics 101. This is no small magnet they are creating. The water pass through the core or the highest magnetic field generated. There is no passing of electricity into the water. To answer how a magnetic field reaches the water...get a marble, a magnet, and a glass table...do you see were this is going? If the magnet works through an object as a toy, then it can also do the same through copper. I am not saying go buy one. I am saying, there is sound physics behind what they are doing. My customer came to me to put this in for them...not the other way around. The verdict is still out and I will repost on this for you when I find out. You can leave the magic wand behind...they need it for Baxi Lunas anyway...lol

Comment

there is absolutely no physics behind it whatsoever. In order for any magnetic, radio frequency, or electric field to effect water flowing through a pipe at all the equipment would be larger than the house and use as much electricity as a factory. I have spent better than 20 years doing research on these scams ( and they are scams ) Not one single product has ever met the claims made by the manufacturer, NOT ONE. No they do not soften water, they in fact do nothing to water. They can not do anything to water because in order for them to do as claimed they would have to violate several laws of physics and chemistry. Sorry to be so brutal here but this crap has been on and off the market for many many years. The people that push this garbage hide behind " customer endorsements" which when you begin really digging turn out to be "paid" endorsements or endorsements made by friends, workers and family members. I have put several of these units through extensive, scientific testing with predictable results. I have been threatened with lawsuits by a couple of manufacturers ( though the folded like a cheap suitcase when I offered to go to court) Anybody can google " water treatment scam" and find a number of sites by chemists and physics instructors that will lay out in exhaustive detail exactly why these products can not work and still, folks get suckered into buying them. You may as well believe in Sasquatch or Roswell aliens.

One more thing on the magnetic field scams. Calcium is not magnetic. It is non ferrous. Sprinkle some on the table and see what effect even the strongest neo dimeum magnet has on it. None, zippo, nada.
                  Last edited by NHMaster3015; 05-18-2010, 07:30 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    Salt softeners are not really adding salt to the water. I was always told the salt was to wash the media during a backwash cycle, as long as you do not use any water during a backwash cycle there should not be any large amounts of salt in your drinking water. My mom's house is on a well and has a large salt type softener, and I can tell you that when it regenerates the water is softer, and does not have a salty taste to it. But if someone wakes up during the regeneration cycle and uses the water, it will have a slightly strong salty taste to it.

Now I am not saying there is no salt in the water after it regenerates, I never analyzed the water other than checking for softness. Just telling you what I have noticed and been told.
                    We set units to regenerate in the wee hrs of the morning. Typical salt intrusion is 7mgl, less than a slice of white bread.
                    sigpic

Comment

The unit does not soften water. When you wrap a copper coil and pass electricity across it, you make a magnet...physics 101. This is no small magnet they are creating. The water pass through the core or the highest magnetic field generated. There is no passing of electricity into the water. To answer how a magnetic field reaches the water...get a marble, a magnet, and a glass table...do you see were this is going? If the magnet works through an object as a toy, then it can also do the same through copper. I am not saying go buy one. I am saying, there is sound physics behind what they are doing. My customer came to me to put this in for them...not the other way around. The verdict is still out and I will repost on this for you when I find out. You can leave the magic wand behind...they need it for Baxi Lunas anyway...lol
                      Hmm a magnetic field passing through a grounded copper water pipe. That is an interesting concept. Ever hear of a Faraday Cage? The way they work is they are grounded are grounded to dissipate any electric currents generated from the external electromagnetic fields and thus block a large amount of the electromagnetic interference. So wrapping a wire and making it into an electromagnetic will do nothing since a copper pipe is grounded so the radio waves, and electromagnetic fields are going to be dissipated to ground.

Comment

Do want ever you want. I have not once said it worked. I have already said there is no way to prove it works... I will only share what my customer has to say when I get the word.

I would love to see proof of it not working since I can't prove it does.
                        Thank you

Comment

Do want ever you want. I have not once said it worked. I have already said there is no way to prove it works... I will only share what my customer has to say when I get the word.

I would love to see proof of it not working since I can't prove it does.
                          Thank you
                          It is suppose to reshape the molecule's outer edges to round them and there by causing it to be less likely to adhere to pipes, faucets, and other fixtures.
                          Well you can prove if it works. In your post you say "It is suppose to reshape the molecule's outer edges to round them ...." Take a water sample before the unit look at it under a microscope, then take sample after the unit and have a look and see if the molecules are more rounded as they claim.

Comment

I don't think any of us should be installing anything that we can't prove to work. Why would anyone do so?

J.C.

Comment

Challenge accepted...will run out and buy the microscope. Got young kids anyway; we can play.

Comment

Working...
                              X