Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Grohe grohmix cartridge 47 025 - missing trim & handle, how is it adjusted & fix??? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grohe grohmix cartridge 47 025 - missing trim & handle, how is it adjusted & fix???

Hi,
    I am missing the trim and handle for the Grohe thermostat.
    It has the Grohmix 47 025 cartridge on there (except there is no screw on the tip): http://www.gromepro.grohe.com/m/25_3...duct=47025X998

The rough-in valve looks like whats in this document http://www.gromepro.grohe.com/lib/1/tpi/697257.pdf

I am not sure exactly which trim and handle it was using, and Grohe does not stock them in brass now.
    I bought handle 47 298, and trying to use the Escutcheon from part 19 421.

I am wondering how is the temperature adjusted for this cartridge? Through the teeth on the ring? the slot in the middle (as shown in the picture)? How do I install the handle? Anyone got instructions? Do I need a limit ring? what else?

Thank you so much for the help!
    Attached Files

Re: Grohe grohmix cartridge 47 025 - missing trim & handle, how is it adjusted & fix?

the valve you're showing is a temperature / thermostatic balancing valve.

the tapered front shaft is what the handle fits onto and is how the temperature is adjusted.

i believe that the valve does not control flow. you need a separate volume control.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Grohe grohmix cartridge 47 025 - missing trim & handle, how is it adjusted & fix?

Thank you Rick.

Yes, there are separate volume controls.

"tapered front shaft" -- are you referring to the tip of cartridge? It seems smooth inside and outside that tip (like a horn). Just wonder how is it adjusted. Would the handle 47 298 fit? Do I need anything else to make it work?

thank you very much again!

Comment

the handle has a matching taper and when mated with the cartridge shaft and handle screw, it makes a tight fit that won't slip.

the temperature calibration is accomplished by setting the temperature to a fixed mark such as 90 degrees and then installing the handle at the 90 degree mark. the handle and trim also has a high limit over ride button to allow you to go past a set safety temperature.

do not touch the center screw inside the cartridge. this is for factory calibration.

i would think that you could just buy the trim set since the rough valve is already installed. chrome is the most common finish.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Got it!
          The handle (47 298) I bought does have the mating piece and cap screw. Now I know what they are for

I did not notice any button on the handle (just round piece with temp marks, it does not have a level either).

Seems like I need to buy a limit ring? does its color show?

Everything is polished brass color, so I am stuck trying to find those matching parts (really hard and expensive to find brass).

thank you again

Comment

if need be, buy the chrome trim kit and have the chrome stripped off. it's solid brass underneath. a good plating shop should be able to strip and polish it.

the cap / temperature ring fits onto the spline of the cartridge. the handle has a spring loaded button that engages onto the temp ring.

buy the chrome to get started with and once it properly works, then have it polished. if the temperature is not working properly, then an expensive cartridge is needed. the newer ones are a paraffin/ wax base sensor. 3/4'' is what you noted.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you so much Rick!

You solved my problem in 2 minutes that my plumber failed to answer in 2 weeks!

I will do what you said, and get it working, then find the limit ring. I already got a brass plate (but the screw holes are wider 4" vs 3.6" on the valve, so I am going to just use a bracket and join them together).

best regards

Comment

Working...
              X