Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

You'llaugh at this. Pull odors from toilet bowl.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You'llaugh at this. Pull odors from toilet bowl.

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
    What deck?
    Like the candles and linen!

Reminds me:
    We.nt to a Symphony in the Parks concert.

Many were uncomfortable on blankets on the hard ground and some getting a little damp from the grass.

We arrive with our folding picnic table - like a large flat suitcase.

In two minutes the table and four seats is set up.
    We take out linen table cloth, LED candles, wine glasses, silverware and linen napkins. Sit comfortably shaded beneath the table's umbrella and enjoy grape juice (I'm on call for medical transport) and cheese and crackers.

Then a short light rain from which we were protected.
    We invited a nearby elderly couple to sit with us.
    Everyone was envious.
    Sounds like Us But in a 33ft. motor home at the beach under an awning having Ice Tea!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Yes, just pipe this thing to the basement where your furnace is and maybe you can share the bathroom experience with everyone in the family.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
        Yes, just pipe this thing to the basement where your furnace is and maybe you can share the bathroom experience with everyone in the family.
        There IS a return air duct conveniently under the wall where the vacuum tube would come out!

I NEED NOT CUT THE TANK!
        This Bemis toilet tank cover is hollow.
        It has a hole opening into the tank and another out the back of the lid.
        I'll attach the tube to the opening.

OK, which one of you told my wife to hide hair dryer?
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Good idea!
          But here it would vent at the arrivinguests. Also, a wall extends out next to the front door and creates a kind of pocket to trap air beneath the porch ceiling.
          Also I'd have a problem getting wires through the insulated wall.
          I think the obstacles you describe could be overcome with a little more thought & work.

Try posting a picture of the interior vs. exterior. A good solution may come from it. Hooking a hairdryer vent system to the overflow is a bad solution. Many things can happen.

Pictures please.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I think the obstacles you describe could be overcome with a little more thought & work.
            Try posting a picture of the interior vs. exterior. A good solution may come from it. Hooking a hairdryer vent system to the overflow is a bad solution. Many things can happen.
            Pictures please. J.C.
            No ability to post photos. Sorry.
            Wife does not want the vent where it would be visible on the front wall of the house. (Porch runs along the front wall.)
            The enclosed area created by the porch 8 foot ceiling and another wall next to the front door may diminish odor freely dissipating.
            Guests may be greeted by odors other than smelly fish.

If the gentle vacuum is able to draw water into the toilet tank lid and down the tube, I would place a plastic container in the line to trap the water.
            Maybe even a toilet paper segment which would dissolve and fail before the air goes up into the hair dryer motor.
            This is the old-style hair dryer which has the hot air tube and plastic bonnet.
            Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-23-2010, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I think you're making this way too complicated.

What is above the powder room?

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                I think you're making this way too complicated.
                What is above the powder room?
                2nd floor bedroom.
                The only place I can go is into the unfinished basement.
                But she does not want the powderoom chopped up with a vent fan in the floor.
                So my idea, using junk from the house, would be discrete and hopefully effective.
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-23-2010, 07:21 PM.

Comment

what you seem to not be taking into account is an explosion proof motor on your hair dryer.

drop a bomb and you're liable to blow the place up

better have black steel gas pipe so that you don't melt the gal coating and really get yourself into trouble

please get some photos up of the finished product so that we can nominate it for a darwin award just in case something bad happens to you

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    ... drop a bomb and you're liable to blow the place up better have black steel gas pipe so that you don't melt the gal coating and really get yourself into trouble
                    please get some photos up of the finished product so that we can nominate it for a darwin award just in case something bad happens to you rick.
                    lol!
                    Yes, I was considering that. (Could bring back an old meaning of "powder" room.)
                    Hopefully flammable gasses would be so diluted thathey'll be well below the minimum concentration for combustion.
                    But I do accept your nomination for a Darwin Award.
                    Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-23-2010, 07:38 PM.

Comment

This thread brought a funny experience to mind.

The other day, one of my tenants complained about a foul odor in their bathroom coming from the toilet. I checked the toilet - clean as a whistle - tank and bowl. Properly sealed at the base. Flushed fine. No leaks whatsoever. And, I detected NO odor.

They said, 'well, we don't smell it now but yesterday it was awful!'
                      I told them that the only thing it could have been was that someone passed some awful-smelling stuff and then closed the door.

They haven't had a problem since.

Now I'm on fart patrol!
                      If it ain't broke, I haven't seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheJob View Post
                        ...Now I'm on fart patrol!
                        You need the Giftgasabzieher. Pulls the odor out as it's emitted.
                        Yes, Gift means poison in German.

Comment

Gift means poison in German.
                          That explains a lot.

Comment

Robert,

I think you need to back up a little in your thinking on this problem.

You are asking for help in how to implement a solution that is uncommon if not unheard of. It is that unusual because no one needs it. It is likely that you don't either, and that there is a standard practice soultion for addressing your problem.

I suggest you start over, not asking for help in how to implement your solution, but with help identifying the problem and an apprpriate solution to it.

specifically, I wonder whether the smell you want to get rid of is there all the time, only when someone has just been and laid a big heater, or if it comes and goes at random.

if it is the second case, well, that is to be expected and there are readilly available, relatively inexpensive vent fans made just for that.

if it is one of the other cases, you likely have a problem with something letting sewer gas into the bathroom, which might be any number of things, and the best course there is to find it and repair it, not mask it by trying to pull the smell that ought not be there in the first place out to somewhere else.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thanks, Ace.

The toilet is fine.
                              Only a problem when user has gas or waste odors.

Since the powderoom has an openable window, they did not install a vent fan.
                              But the window opens to the front porch, so when open there is a privacy issue, and an odor greeting arriving guests issue.

Also, odors do not readily dissipate through the open window.

Only place I can vent is into the porch or basement.
                              Wife does not want the front defaced with a vent fixture nor guests greeted with vent exhaust odors.

She also does not want a vent in the floor behind the toilet.

So, if I run a 1-inch vacuum tube up from the basement into the toiletank, bowl odors hopefully will be pulled out.

I did not know if/how to cut a hole in the tank rear wall.
                              But just discovered a vent hole in the Bemis toiletank lid!

So if I pull air out of that tank lid vent hole, and apply an adheasive foam seal to make the lid airtight on the tank, bowl air will be drawn into the flush rim water holes.

This all with stuff already in the garage.

Comment

How is that any better than just terminating the hose at the floor? The smell is not really in the toilet, it's throughout the room, and you will restrict the amout of airflow you pull by pulling it through the small passages in the toilet rim.

How is a vacuum hose coming up through the floor behind the toilet and tying into the tank less aesthetically offensive than a vent grill? A new tank with this vent you describe is going to cost as much as a cheap fart fan anyway. They as as cheap as $20. or just run flex duct to the grill and use that hair dryer lol... though I think this project will get easier and turn out better if you march that thing to the trash right now.

Vent on floor behind tolet is probably easiest, but it'll look hokey and homeowner and it'll get water it it from something someday (and your wife doesn't like that idea anyway). I'd suggest a vent fan grill on the wall somewhere inoffensive, drop hose through to the basement inside the wall (I doubt interrupting the plate with the hole for the hose will be impossible structurally depending on how it's framed). Measure carefully and you should be able to fish wire up to your existing light switch from the basement, add a second switch for the fan, etc.

If you are neat and measure right, you shouldn't need to do any drywall repair; just cut hole for fan, measure right and cut hole for hose/wiring from below, fish up through and attach, install fan, measure and cut hole into the right cavity to find the light switch for the fan wires from below, put a bigger box in there for the second switch, fish wires up, no big deal?
                                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X