Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

You'llaugh at this. Pull odors from toilet bowl.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'llaugh at this. Pull odors from toilet bowl.

In the powderoom next to the front door is only a window - no vent fan.
    The window opens to the front porch where guests are arriving.

I'd like to keep the window closed and pull air up the toilet tank overflow tube to pull odor from the toilet bowl into the holes of the flush rim.

We have an old bonnet-style hair dryer, wide-neck funnel and adhesive-backed foam strip insulation sitting around.

Using ductape, I sealed the funnel over the hair dryer air intake.
    Attached the hair dryer's 1-3/8s inch diameter hose to the funnel neck.
    The quiet hair dryer has three speeds which can adjust the gentle vacuum through the hose.
    Below the floor, the dryer would expel the air into the basement.
    I can run its hose up behind the drywall in back of the toilet.

The foam gasket on the tank rim would make a good seal and also allow the lid to beasily removed.

Can I saw a 90-degree \/-shaped hole at the top of the tank wall?
    The hair dryer hose could be inserted and silicone-sealed into the notch and pull air out of the tank.

Now stop laughing.
    Thank you.

Robert
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-23-2010, 09:27 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: You'llaugh at this. Pull odors from toilet bowl.

Comment

There is a manufacturer that has a toilet that does that ... I can not remember who at the moment ... saw it at a trade show ... Dave

Comment

Re: You'l laugh at this. Pull odors from toilet bowl.

Why wouldn't You Put id a GOOD fan? Exhaust fans are measured in c.f.u. cubic ft . per minute. You want that high!And scones, Sound of fan and motor , You want that low! Also I have a specialty router set up to weather strip doors. Why not at this and a
        metal boot at door bottom. It will keep it Quiet!
        Last edited by toolaholic; 05-23-2010, 09:42 AM.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
          In the powderoom next to the front door is only a window - no vent fan.
          The window opens to the front porch where guests are arriving.

I'd like to keep the window closed and pull air up the toilet tank overflow tube to pull odor from the toilet bowl into the holes of the flush rim.

We have an old bonnet-style hair dryer, wide-neck funnel and adhesive-backed foam strip insulation sitting around.

Using ductape, I sealed the funnel over the hair dryer air intake.
          Attached the hair dryer's 1-3/8s inch diameter hose to the funnel neck.
          The quiet hair dryer has three speeds which can adjust the gentle vacuum through the hose.
          Below the floor, the dryer would expel the air into the basement.
          I can run its hose up behind the drywall in back of the toilet.

The foam gasket on the tank rim would make a good seal and also allow the lid to beasily removed.

Can I saw a 90-degree \/-shaped hole at the top of the tank wall?
          The hair dryer hose could be inserted and silicone-sealed into the notch and pull air out of the tank.

Now stop laughing.
          Thank you.

Robert
          Robert what you want is a toto 300 bidet. This unit has a ionizer for oder control and works great. Most other toilet seat bidets have a carbon filter to remove odor. The toto works the best for odor control and cleans you very good also. I don't sell this model but I have used and installed quite a few. you will be happy with it

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
            Robert what you want is a toto 300 bidet. This unit has a ionizer for oder control and works great. Most other toilet seat bidets have a carbon filter to remove odor. The toto works the best for odor control and cleans you very good also. I don't sell this model but I have used and installed quite a few. you will be happy with it
            Great idea robert, spend some $$$$$$$ Guy, what does this cost FLUSH?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

I'm too embarrased to show my jury-rigging.
              Actually, have no way to post photos.
              Just picture a cracked toilet tank and flooded powderoom because some moron tried to saw his tank.
              (I'd do it with tank empty but am concerned if the tank could later crack from the weakness I caused.)

Comment

The toto 300's are costly but he is interested in one anyway. What about you tool, when are you going to get one?
                As for the cost it has been a year or 2 since I bought a toto bidet so I'm not sure of the price
                Last edited by saysflushable; 05-23-2010, 09:58 AM.

Comment

to answer your question, yes, you can cut a toilet tank with a diamond saw/ grinder. i've sawed a tank down before to fit under the banjo top. the hard part was the square tank hole i needed to drill.

now to answer your other question

your wife is actually going to allow you to jury rig a hair dryer/ fan into the toilet and plug it in while you do your thing

will it work, yes it will

will you be the talk of all your visitors yes you will

either do as toll mentioned with the fart fan

or do as i did with joeys approval install a toto bidet seat with the built in deodorizer/ incinerator. does it work joey tells me it does

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Can't afford a Totoilet.

This is from an old plastic bonnet hair dryer, not the hand-held dryers, and parts already lying around.
                    The hair dryer motor unit would be in the basement with it's plastic tube running up the inside of the wall, then into the back of the tank.
                    So no electrical hazard and no noise. I'd also place it on a spare GFCI.

After her monthy party, could the Toto seat be easily removed from the powderoom and transferred back to the master bedroom toilet?

Too difficult to put in an exhaust fan. Also, it would have to vent under the front porch ceiling so odor could greet guests.

I'd rather pull air out than breathe ionized air.
                    Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-23-2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

When I first seen the thread title the first thought that came to mind was American Standard Vent-Away.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Porta potty on the deck! One with a sink! Jazz it up with candles,rug,linen

Comment

You could just install a fan lower down in the sidewall venting to the outside.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Porta potty on the deck! One with a sink! Jazz it up with candles,rug,linen
                            What deck?
                            Like the candles and linen!

Reminds me:
                            We.nt to a Symphony in the Parks concert.

Many were uncomfortable on blankets on the hard ground and some getting a little damp from the grass.

We arrive with our folding picnic table - like a large flat suitcase.

In two minutes the table and four seats is set up.
                            We take out linen table cloth, LED candles, wine glasses, silverware and linen napkins. Sit comfortably shaded beneath the table's umbrella and enjoy grape juice (I'm on call for medical transport) and cheese and crackers.

Then a short light rain from which we were protected.
                            We invited a nearby elderly couple to sit with us.
                            Everyone was envious.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              You could just install a fan lower down in the sidewall venting to the outside. J.C.
                              Good idea!
                              But here it would vent at the arrivinguests. Also, a wall extends out next to the front door and creates a kind of pocket to trap air beneath the porch ceiling.
                              Also I'd have a problem getting wires through the insulated wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X