Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black or Galvy Gas Pipe?

Originally posted by Kevin Jones
    Maybe you are being insulting and grasping for straws because you just ran out PLUMBER

Florida has put as many adopted codes to the nation as Cali. Lets get back to the topic.

I have said it once and I will say it again. RICK I RESPECT YOU. I do not accept, respect, or condone galvy gas methods interior. This topic needs to be readdressed with the powers that be. It is FUBAR>
    I'm not sure who has contributed more to the Codes but Los Angeles is the original Uniform Plumbing Code and it predates Florida's Code by 47-years or so.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I'm not sure what joint you are referring to but the pipe has a melting point above 1,500 F

Exactly what pre test are you referring to and how do you know it does not exist if you have never read ASTM 53?

Mark
      Did I say I have never read it? Have you read it? Why would you question ASTM 53 and 1500F at the same time?

I am referring to the bonding of metals which is the exact point of the prior NFPA minimum. There is no precheck to pressure test or any other method before dipping under ASTM 53. After dipping the jurisdiction requires only they did it to pass...again no test. The material that may or may not make the joint is still untested. Yet it is all the sudden legal because it is pretty. They medium that may fill a joint does not meet the minimum standard of 1000F.

I kinda wish I had my grandparents Victrola so I could just crank the wheel and reset the needle. Are you homeowners getting by now?
      Last edited by Kevin Jones; 06-26-2010, 03:41 AM.

Comment

OK enough. Where is your codes? How do you know by code that black iron is tested before the galvanation process? How do you trust by code that it is the pipe that is solid and not just a painted surface?

Again Case Closed!!! It does not exist!!! Did I just say that? AGAIN FOR THE @TH TIME!!! Bring me what says this pipe is good other than I dipped it...AND I WILL BOW DOWN. Not that I am concerned because it still doesn't exist 4 hours later.
        Last edited by Kevin Jones; 06-26-2010, 03:54 AM.

Comment

It's funny how a stupid conversation just stumped the A-Team thus far.
          I think that was the whole point of your thread Kevin wasn`t it as your are a "Jack of all trades and master of none"

Tony

Comment

you're getting kind of aggressive over something that won't matter unless the house is already on fire. try a cup of decaf and decide if it's really worth getting worked up over.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

If it wasn't worth it. I would have never posted it.

Comment

I'll just leave this here

No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

with only 5 hours of sleep, are you going to be able to thread it under 66 seconds

don't forget you need to also thread pipe and assemble it with no pipe dope and pressure test it. while your at it with the camera, please post some photos of your work including all your gas jobs showing no pipe dope.

i've posted close to 1000 photos. all i'm asking is for a handful

you've got work to do, don't waste your time with rebuttals

no more excuses

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Kevin,

I'm sorry but I give up on this exchange as it will never end in a positive way. You post Code sections which are non responsive and ignore the pertinent Codes. I've given you the three major Codes (NFPA, UPC & IFGC) Chapter and Section and you ask me which Code. I can only offer you the information I cannot make you read it or understand it.

Mark

Comment

Got work to do. I have no time for apprentice comedy show. Have a nice day.

I want ASTM 53 that your codes have passed the buck to.

Rick I will be happy to post pics for professionals. Let me know if you can recognize one much less ever see one. Don't waste your time in the mirror.
                      Have at it.

http://www.astm.org/Standards/A53.htm

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
                        less excuses and more photos would be a start.

did all the other professional forums throw you out or just put you up to this to disrupt ours

everyone wants to be #1.

so which forum ran you over here

before you leave, some photos would be nice. even if they're only of you looking at the pipe that shouldn't be too hard is it

rick.
                        I think this needs to be over Rick.

Mark

Comment

Though this has already come to fisticuffs Allow me to shed some light on the Galvy issue.

#1 It is an approved material

#2 Please read the material below. I have highlighted the important bit, however to head off any confusion I should define "Non destructive testing" These tests can be any of many methods used to either X ray, Magnaflux, sonar testing and many other methods that all test the internal integrity of the metal itself. The manufacturer could either test the pipe as it comes off process ( and likely they would for cost reasons ) before the pipe is dipped, or they could test it after the fact. In either case, non destructive testing ( and they pretty much Xray the stuff ) will reveal any defects in the pipe. NFPA requires all piping to be subjected to the test, not just random samples.

Abstract
                          This specification covers seamless and welded black and hot-dipped galvanized steel pipe in NPS 1/8 to NPS 26. The steel categorized in this standard must be open-hearth, basic-oxygen or electric-furnace processed and must have the following chemical requirements: carbon, manganese, phosphorus, sulfur, copper, nickel, chromium, molybdenum, and vanadium. The tubing shall undergo a seamless or welding process. Tension, bend, and flattening tests shall be performed to make sure that it must adhere to the mechanical properties of the standard. The hydrostatic test shall be applied, without leakage through the weld seam or the pipe body. Nondestructive electric test shall be made to make sure that the full volume of the pipe must be in accordance with the standard. The purchaser shall have the right to perform any of the inspections and tests set forth in this specification where deemed necessary to ensure that the pipe conforms to the specified requirements.
                          This abstract is a brief summary of the referenced standard. It is informational only and not an official part of the standard; the full text of the standard itself must be referred to for its use and application. ASTM does not give any warranty express or implied or make any representation that the contents of this abstract are accurate, complete or up to date.
                          1. Scope

1.1 This specification covers seamless and welded black and hot-dipped galvanized steel pipe in NPS 1/8 to NPS 26 [DN 6 to DN 650] (Note 1), inclusive, with nominal wall thickness (Note 2) as given in Table X2.2 and X2.3. It shall be permissible to furnish pipe having other dimensions provided that such pipe complies with all other requirements of this specification. Supplementary requirements of an optional nature are provided and shall apply only when specified by the purchaser.
                          Note 1 - The dimensionless designators NPS (nominal pipe size) [DN (diameter nominal)] have been substituted in this specification for such traditional terms as "nominal diameter," "size," and "nominal size."
                          Note 2 - The term nominal wall thickness has been assigned for the purpose of convenient designation, existing in name only, and is used to distinguish it from the actual wall thickness, which may vary over or under the nominal wall thickness.
                          1.2 This specification covers the following types and grades:
                          1.2.1 Type F - Furnace-butt-welded, continuous welded Grade A,
                          1.2.2 Type E - Electric-resistance-welded, Grades A and B, and
                          1.2.3 Type S - Seamless, Grades A and B.
                          Note 3 - See Appendix X1 for definitions of types of pipe.
                          1.3 Pipe ordered under this specification is intended for mechanical and pressure applications and is also acceptable for ordinary uses in steam, water, gas, and air lines. It is suitable for welding, and suitable for forming operations involving coiling, bending, and flanging, subject to the following qualifications:
                          1.3.1 Type F is not intended for flanging.
                          1.3.2 If Type S or Type E is required for close coiling or cold bending, Grade A is the preferred grade; however, this is not intended to prohibit the cold bending of Grade B pipe.
                          1.3.3 Type E is furnished either nonexpanded or cold expanded at the option of the manufacturer.
                          1.4 The values stated in either SI units or inch-pound units are to be regarded separately as standard. The values stated in each system may not be exact equivalents; therefore, each system is to be used independently of the other.
                          The following precautionary caveat pertains only to the test method portion, Sections 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, and 15 of this specification: This standard does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory requirements prior to use.
                          1.5 The text of this specification contains notes or footnotes, or both, that provide explanatory material. Such notes and footnotes, excluding those in tables and figures, do not contain any mandatory requirements.
                          sigpic

Comment

i think kevin jones abandoned ship. he was sinking faster than b.p.

Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
                            Thread of the Week Award(s): 0

bon voyage, hasta la vista, adiĆ³s, later

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Lol

Comment

I understood his point. It's great for him to see "through" the code and offer improvements. However, you rub people the wrong way when you make such an effort to beat them in the head to make them wrong with so little evidence to provide a "reasonable" percentage of doubt in a product.

An overkill point can be reached in many cases.

I'm seeing new commercial here with just a couple of bathrooms that have double check meter yolks, NO irrigation and RPZ's being required along with all of the normal plumbing rules of vacuum breakers, air gaps etc.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X