Black or Galvy Gas Pipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black or Galvy Gas Pipe?

Here is a wonderful piece of galvy. No worries about protecting it. It's fine...no need to protect it. It is already protected.

It's so good for water. We should use it for gas! After all the water didn't explode!!
    Attached Files

Comment

not sure what your point is kevin.

i haven't used gal pipe for water in over 30 years. imported gal pipe is junk for water. but great for gas as our gas does not corrode our pipe.

we use to be able to buy green coated pipe in galvanized for underground. haven't seen that in a good 15 years.

now what i did see yesterday was some wanna be drain cleaner repaired a 1'' domestic water service with black pipe

i guess he does gas work too

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

To bad this water pipe failed in less than 10 years. Even the local hardware label on both pieces are intact. Another funny thing...it failed in the middle of the pipe.

How did that happen Rick? Unless the pipe itself may have been flawed. Amazing how at the thread, where half the steel was removed by the manufacturer the pipe was still whole.

I think water did a good job of showing pipe structure failure. Thank you.
        Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-02-2010, 08:59 PM. Reason: really gotta proof read first lol

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          not sure what your point is kevin.

i haven't used gal pipe for water in over 30 years. imported gal pipe is junk for water. but great for gas as our gas does not corrode our pipe.

we use to be able to buy green coated pipe in galvanized for underground. haven't seen that in a good 15 years.

now what i did see yesterday was some wanna be drain cleaner repaired a 1'' domestic water service with black pipe

i guess he does gas work too

rick.
          Maybe he does gas work I don't know?

Obviously he shouldn't be doing drain work.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. I never suggested using black iron for drains. Plumbers on the other hand seem to think galvy is great for both. Makes it easier on the truck stock too I bet.

And now that I think of it. What makes a drain guy qualified for gas?
          Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-02-2010, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Keep in mind, during the Competition Ridgid is also hosting their employee appreciation day. They had a giant BBQ out on the school house lawn and everyone is welcome to compete. I'm sure to many it is the first time they had ever used a threader.

Mark
            I'm very aware of it's purpose but I might be getting to something.

Who, among plumbers that know right from wrong, did not use oil in the threading competition?

J.C.

Comment

it was not i

the lack of full oil allowed the users to 2 hand the threader as the oiler would take up the second hand.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                Maybe he does gas work I don't know?

Obviously he shouldn't be doing drain work.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. I never suggested using black iron for drains. Plumbers on the other hand seem to think galvy is great for both. Makes it easier on the truck stock too I bet.

And now that I think of it. What makes a drain guy qualified for gas?
                kevin, do you not understand my point. the drain guy used black steel nipples for a water line repair. where did i imply he was using it for drains

i only use gal on gas and air lines. never on water as i know that there is no such thing as domestic gal pipe on the shelf. 1 supplier has domestic gal fittings, but not the pipe. said it's special order and could take months.

the pipe failed because it's exposed to a corrosive environment both in the soil and in the liquid. the gal plating is junk. 10 years is actually excellent for import gal pipe that's been buried. had that been a gas line it would have lasted mush longer as there wouldn't have been the internal corrosion. plus it is required to wrap and prime any buried gas line.

still don't really understand your point. gal pipe should have never been used for water. brass or copper would have been the call.

but hate to say it, your repair would not be allowed here as your brass nipples are not lead free and neither is your valve if that's for your domestic water service.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  kevin, do you not understand my point. the drain guy used black steel nipples for a water line repair. where did i imply he was using it for drains

i only use gal on gas and air lines. never on water as i know that there is no such thing as domestic gal pipe on the shelf. 1 supplier has domestic gal fittings, but not the pipe. said it's special order and could take months.

The pipe failed because it's exposed to a corrosive environment both in the soil and in the liquid. the gal plating is junk. 10 years is actually excellent for import gal pipe that's been buried. had that been a gas line it would have lasted mush longer as there wouldn't have been the internal corrosion. plus it is required to wrap and prime any buried gas line.

still don't really understand your point. gal pipe should have never been used for water. brass or copper would have been the call.

but hate to say it, your repair would not be allowed here as your brass nipples are not lead free and neither is your valve if that's for your domestic water service.

rick.
                  Sorry I did mix up the drain guy statement and the domestic water portion. I was busy Booking flights.

The galvy still let go in the middle of the pipe. That was a pinhole water leak that activated the soil around it. Look at the burning of the pipe. The failure point is clear. The surrounding area dates the errosion of the pipe.

You also wanted to see galvy failures and pics. I just had one that demonstrated the flaw of the pipe. I'll get to the supply house no worries.

As for the brass and stop, I have already said Colorado doesn't care and that is all that is available here. Should I have told my customers to wait a few more days without water just to special order out of CA. They had a pilot burning water heater too. Should I have red tagged it in the name of CA? Why would two little old ladies need water over the weekend?

Besides if you had seen the water coming out of that well, you would not be drinking it either. This water is not what any of us would call potable and I did my job correctly for the situation. Try again.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I'm very aware of it's purpose but I might be getting to something.

Who, among plumbers that know right from wrong, did not use oil in the threading competition?

J.C.
                    Everyone started out with a squirt of oil but some of the drain guys and factory guys thought they could power through to the end without more oil. The funny one was Aaron when his bucket oiler nozzle got twisted and he sprayed everyone with oil.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Everyone started out with a squirt of oil but some of the drain guys and factory guys thought they could power through to the end without more oil. The funny one was Aaron when his bucket oiler nozzle got twisted and he sprayed everyone with oil.

Mark
                      What was even funnier was the licensed contractor who didn't know how to use a hand threader.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, i never saw it, i only heard about it.

for the rest that missed it, we were grouped into 4 different teams. sort of like a golf foursome, but in this case more than 4 to a team.

this allowed us to go from station to station as a group and speed up the 2 hour event.

ben did you see it?

you missed the last one with the indoor 3 station electric threaders. lets just say that bill had an incident that gives b.p. a run for the money

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I was right there shaking my head.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                          X