Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black or Galvy Gas Pipe?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Kevin could be right according to current code. My older book does not exclude galvanized. But as we all know, things get tweaked all the time. Whether it makes sense or not.

So let's see which code he is referencing (maybe he'll post it soon-VERBATIM) and I or we might learn something.

Or he might.

J.C.
    As we all know, different Jurisdictions add different requirements and limitations for local concerns. However, I have included the National Codes which at least one of the Codes would apply to 90% of all Jurisdictions.

The International Fuel Gas Code (403.4.2), NFPA-54 (Table A.5.6) and the Uniform Plumbing Code (1209.5.2.2)'

All of the above Codes permit galvanize steel piping for gas lines.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks Mark. Now I'm curious as to what code he is referring too. Maybe he'll provide it.

J.C.

Comment

are sand holes possible yes have they happened to me yes is galvy legal yes is black pipe legal yes should you always do an air test on what you install yes should you be lisc and insured yes are drip legs necessary any longer no because gas today is dry are sediment traps necessary yes. bottom line gas needs to be respected and done right after all this forum attracts alot of opinions and this is just another.

Comment

Galvy is not legal here and drip legs are required or the gas company will not set the meter.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Do You plum in 6" drip legs in N.H. ? When I demo pipes here I always pull d.l. end caps. Never any crap in them! How about Yours ? Thanks Tool
            I found a bunch of dark flaky things in one once. I accidentally flipped the drip leg upside down when I had it apart and it all piled out on the floor. No clue what it was but it was in there and would have been in the gas control valve if the drip leg wasn't there.

One thing to consider is what happens when a gas line gets cut. All sorts of dirt and debris can end up in the line and I imagine possibly in your customer's gas control valves. Why not put the drip leg in? It's cheap insurance and is code.
            Last edited by Mr. Ooter; 05-24-2010, 10:15 PM. Reason: asdfasdf

Comment

What happened to Kevin?

J.C.

Comment

Maybe He's replacing rusted out black iron under some steam table
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  What happened to Kevin?

J.C.
                  I would not worry too much it's only been a day. Hopefully he is out making a living.

Mark

Comment

Galvanized pipe is black steel pipe with a galvanized coating. I have always used galvi for gas piping outdoors if the pipe was above ground. Never had any problems. Black steel gas pipe and fittings installed outdoors above ground has a nasty habit of rusting.
                    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Sorry for the delay on the info...between work, dad, and husband some days do not have enough hours.

Ok I will make 2 concessions only. One the set temp. of 1500F off by 50 degrees. Two NFPA gave jurisdiction over to 24CFR 3280.705.

And I quote:

3280.705 - Gas piping systems.

(b) Materials. All materials used for the installation, extension, alteration, or repair of any gas piping system shall be new and free from defects or internal obstructions. It shall not be permissible to repair defects in gas piping or fittings. Inferior or defective materials shall be removed and replaced with acceptable material. The system shall be made of materials having a melting point of not less than 1,450 F.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
                        I found a bunch of dark flaky things in one once. I accidentally flipped the drip leg upside down when I had it apart and it all piled out on the floor. No clue what it was but it was in there and would have been in the gas control valve if the drip leg wasn't there.

One thing to consider is what happens when a gas line gets cut. All sorts of dirt and debris can end up in the line and I imagine possibly in your customer's gas control valves. Why not put the drip leg in? It's cheap insurance and is code.
                        Love this one. Sediment traps are required on all self-fired unattended appliances. Stoves, dryers...any appliance that requires a person physical present to start operation does not require a trap. Also trap length shall be no less than 3".

Ooter could not have said it better. It's cheap insurance.

Comment

I finally had the time to read back over all the responses. Thank you to all that have joined in.

I have not said galvy is illegal. I have said galvy is illegal in some jurisdictions and has no place inside a structure. Lets just look at the business side of it first.
                          1. Galvy cost more...why not put that money to the bottom line?
                          2. It is a fact! This is an imperfect world and so will be your materials.
                          This is not our fault. This is an industrial fluke and it happens all the
                          time.
                          3. A black iron pipe or fitting must first be made. Then dipped galvy. What
                          just happened to a seam rip or sand hole? Do you believe galvy is all
                          1st run material?
                          4. The aboved mentioned fluke carries a liability at 800F. That's not much.
                          5. The melting point of black iron is about 2800F, copper 1980F, Stainless
                          steel is roughly 2550F or better depending on the blend, and the
                          weakest link is zinc 780F. Do you see a common thread with the first
                          temperatures and the melting points.
                          6. You work had for your money. Why take a chance of handing it over to
                          an attorney just to say it's not my fault in court.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                            Sorry for the delay on the info...between work, dad, and husband some days do not have enough hours.

Ok I will make 2 concessions only. One the set temp. of 1500F off by 50 degrees. Two NFPA gave jurisdiction over to 24CFR 3280.705.

And I quote:

3280.705 - Gas piping systems.

(b) Materials. All materials used for the installation, extension, alteration, or repair of any gas piping system shall be new and free from defects or internal obstructions. It shall not be permissible to repair defects in gas piping or fittings. Inferior or defective materials shall be removed and replaced with acceptable material. The system shall be made of materials having a melting point of not less than 1,450 F.
                            You've just quoted the Gas Piping Systems Code for HUD controlled Manufactured Home Construction. The language is almost the same as what is listed in the UPC, IPC and NFPA, none of which prohibits galvanize coating.

Mark
                            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-27-2010, 12:14 AM.

Comment

As a standard I follow the strictest codes of all jurisdictions put together. I do not short change my clients or myself. My point is only, using galvy leaves the open possibility of a very weak link that one has no way of knowing upon completion of the job. It has it's place outside for sure. I fully agree IFGC, NFPA 54 and 58, 24 CFR, UBC and the list goes on, All allow for the use of galvy. In a perfect world that is fine. This is not a perfect world!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                                As a standard I follow the strictest codes of all jurisdictions put together. I do not short change my clients or myself. My point is only, using galvy leaves the open possibility of a very weak link that one has no way of knowing upon completion of the job. It has it's place outside for sure. I fully agree IFGC, NFPA 54 and 58, 24 CFR, UBC and the list goes on, All allow for the use of galvy. In a perfect world that is fine. This is not a perfect world!
                                I was really questioning more why you would use a Code for HUD Mobile Homes more than anything else.

I have never had a casting hole in a fitting or a void in a pipe seam which would pass a pressure test. The truth is there are many occasions where you owe it to your customer to spend the extra money on galvanize pipe for gaslines to prevent corrosion which could be caused by a harsh environment.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X