Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper way to do a smoke test for D.W.V.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proper way to do a smoke test for D.W.V.

Just ordered 4 revenge rodent smoke bombs Amazon $23.93. I should be wrestling 4 S.F. Firefighters on a roof be next Wed. It's all fun at 67
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      Just ordered 4 revenge rodent smoke bombs Amazon $23.93. I should be wrestling 4 S.F. Firefighters on a roof be next Wed. It's all fun at 67
      Have someone bring a camcorder and post it on YouTube. (Immediately before, call FD on non emergency dispatch line and tell them what you are doing and where.)
      Poison smoke?
      We used to make our own smoke bombs.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
        Have someone bring a camcorder and post it on YouTube. (Immediately before, call FD on non emergency dispatch line and tell them what you are doing and where.)
        Poison smoke?
        We used to make our own smoke bombs.
        " I'M ON TOP OF THE WORLD MA ! "
        Maybe I'll wear My firefighters Nite hitch . Rubber boots, red suspenders red jock strap!
        Got a camera Robert!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

What pressure and how long?
          How long to pump up a typical DWV system to test pressure?
          I normally pump up to around 500 to 1000 KPA before the inspector comes and allow another 5 to 10 minutes whilst he`s there, you don`t have to do much pumping as you are already useing the existing air in the pipe the same way you test a gas pipe.

Tony

Comment

We can no longer test with air, period.

Pipe mfg. state it in their literature that no air test should be done. (PVC & I think CPVC)

J.C.

Comment

" I'M ON TOP OF THE WORLD MA ! "
              Maybe I'll wear My firefighters Nite hitch . Rubber boots, red suspenders red jock strap!
              Got a camera Robert!
              Chief ain't never given me no red jock strap.
              But my bunker gear suspenders were red!
              "Night hitch"? Must be proper attire in SFC.

We ain't never lost a foundation!
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-27-2010, 11:32 PM.
              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Chief ain't never given me no red jock strap.
                But my bunker gear suspenders were red!
                "Night hitch"? Must be proper attire in SFC.

We ain't never lost a foundation!
                you must have never been fightin a place with a wood foundation!

of course accelerants all over most of the structural components didn't help.

Comment

Smoke test works well on high rises. Finds missed wax seals and loose joints easily. You can build a smoke generator with a 55 gal drum and a shop vac to push the smoke into the stack. Introduce the smoke at the bottom of the stack.

shop-vac outlet --->55 gal drum---->test tee at base of stack----> plug top of vent on roof

Allow some method of pressure relief; you only need a couple PSI; and don't forget to fill your traps or you will have smoke coming out everywhere.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Smoke test works well on high rises. Finds missed wax seals and loose joints easily. You can build a smoke generator with a 55 gal drum and a shop vac to push the smoke into the stack. Introduce the smoke at the bottom of the stack.

shop-vac outlet --->55 gal drum---->test tee at base of stack----> plug top of vent on roof

Allow some method of pressure relief; you only need a couple PSI; and don't forget to fill your traps or you will have smoke coming out everywhere.
                    How about a double Mechanical in the clean out ?

Comment

Tool
                      How did your smoke test turn out? Did you place the bomb in a stack or at the base of the line? Do you recommend the rodent smoke bombs you used?
                      I've got to do a test next week and I want to get it right the first time. I wonder what kind of smoke grenade Plumberscrack is referring to.

Comment

Funny folks Just moved out for their Sons health. Nice home in Noe valley S.F. sits empty! Nothing ever done to correct the problems.

Comment

You never purchased any smoke bombs?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                            Tool
                            How did your smoke test turn out? Did you place the bomb in a stack or at the base of the line? Do you recommend the rodent smoke bombs you used?
                            I've got to do a test next week and I want to get it right the first time. I wonder what kind of smoke grenade Plumberscrack is referring to.
                            Made by Superior Smoke Signal company

They have a 30, 60, or 90 second bomb found at most HVAC distributors

$6 each for the 60 sec. ones. About 2 out of every dozen are duds so keep a few extra on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbus View Post
                              you never purchased any smoke bombs?
                              still have them all, want to pick them up ???

Comment

still have them all, want to pick them up ???
                                25 revenge rodent smoke bombs amazon #5001

think they were $23.00 or so

Comment

Working...
                                X