X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump pump humming

I just installed a back up sump next to my Zoeller m72 .3 hp. I also rerouted the piping by adding 40' of horizontal pipe so that the water will eject out the other side of the house. I sloped the 1 1/2" pipe 1/4" every 3' but at the end I had to rise 1' to get above the foundation.

The main pump will kick in and run filling the 40' run and ejecting some water out. But the 2nd cycle of water the pump will just hum and sounds like the pump is not primed. I tried drilling a 1/8 hole in the pipe near the base of the unit but that hasn't helped. I wonder if the pump is strong enough to get the water moving once the 40' is full? But what doesn't make sense is the back up pump is also a 1/3 hp pump and it has no problems pumping the water out.

Re: sump pump humming

try a larger pump or correct slope . grade doesnt work if you raize the end of the pipe 1' just leaves you with 40' of resistace .

Comment

i understand about the slope bnot being correct but there is no way for it to run across the basement and out. It has to have the 1' of rise to get above the foundation.

Why are both pump 1/3hp and one will do it no problem the other won't?

Comment

How old is the pump that is not working? Is there something jamming the impeller? Is the back check clogged?

Comment

the pump is less than 2 years old. Not sure what you mean by back check. I was going to take it out of the pit tonight and check for blockage.

Comment

Originally posted by firefighter5143 View Post
            the pump is less than 2 years old. Not sure what you mean by back check. I was going to take it out of the pit tonight and check for blockage.
            A check [ one way valve] is usually plumbed in the lower part of the vertical line to prevent water flowing back into the sump pit.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

With that type of run I would install the M-53 at a minimum or upgrade to the M-98
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

the pump could care less about the slope; slope is for gravity drains. it might be airlocked, but your hole, if drilled in the right spot, should take care of that.

the pump cares about total head, and to a lesser extent restriction in the line (too small a line, some choke point, etc). total head is the total change in elevation from the pump to the discharge point.

there is either something wrong with your pump, or something clogging it's discharge piping,

or, and this is most likely, when you added the backup pump you did not install a check valve for it, and the existing pump has one. when the existing pump runs, most of its flow is running out the bottom of the new pump. when the new pump runs, the check in the existing one's discharge prevents flow from going out through it, so it makes it to where you want it to.

if you don't have a check valve on the new pump, and do on the old, and they tie together into the same discharge line, that is your problem. you need two check valves, one for each pump, near the pump, with your weep hole drilled in the line between the pump and check valve. shut off valves downstream of the checks are nice so you can service the checks w/o dumping the line on yourself when you take them out to service them.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thanks 4 all the tips so far. Yes I do have 2 check valves installed. One on each pump. Yes I do have a weep hole drilled in each discharge pipe b4 the check valve. So either I got a faulty pump or its clogged hopefully 2morrow I'll be able to find out. Thanks again. I'll keep u up 2 date on the solution.

Comment

check weep hole on pump 3/16" at least and about 2" off male adapter to me sounds like pump is hydrolocked and I also agree with SewerRatz M-53 or m-98 . m-98 is stronger
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

ok so here is the update. I disconnected the pump below the check valve. Checked the pump for obstructions and there are none. I placed the pump in a 5 gallon bucket of water and plugged it in. It worked fine. Hooked it back up to the check valve and sure enough same thing back to humming. I do have the weep hole drilled in the correct location but no luck.

I think I am coming to the conclusion that the pump just isn't strong enough.

I am a big ridgid fan and would like the 1 hp pump but it seems to get horrible reviews. I'll look into the m98. Can anyone tell me what the price range is for the m98 and the best place to look into getting it?

Thanks

Comment

about $300. most plumbing supplies have them, or can get them. very common pump.

generally, if the pump spins and throws water, there is nothing wrong with it. I've got a hard time buying that adding a few feet of head by taking the discharge out another way has made the difference.

have you looked at the check valve on that leg? is it blocked with crud? or not opening fully for some other reason?

check the check!

try pulling the other pump out, leaving it's check in place, and running the offending pump to see if it is pumping out past the check for the new pump. there may be something preventing that new check from closing.

if not, then try hooking the maybe bad, old pump up to the new, working pump's discharge leg and see if it works there. if not, then I'd have to give up and say you need a stronger pump.

you could also compare the pump curves, graphs of gpm vs head, for the two pumps you have. should be avail on-line at mfr site. this will tell you if the new one is significantly stronger than the old. if they have similar curves, either the impeller or housing on the old is worn out, or there is some other problem, likely in the piping.

post some pics of the installation just to make sure there is nothing obvious.

the ridgid pumps are fine, but, unless they have changed them, the level sensing device that turns them on and off is junk. you want one with an old-school float switch, not a fancy electro-whatsis switch.
                        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 06-03-2010, 09:18 PM.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Where is your check valve located (height) on the vertical rise. If it is too close to the pump you have all that weight of water above it that makes it hard to open up. Put the check valve about 3 to 4 ft off the floor and see what happens.

Comment

Ace thanks for all the tips. I tried each and every one of them, including switching the pumps and checking the check valves. No luck. So then I went out and bought the 1hp Ridgid pump (the one no one reccomends) Hooked it up excatly like the old one, plugged it in, and it runs perfect. Pumps all the water out no problem.

So my issue was that the zoeller pump was not strong enough to get the water moving.

Rookie - My check valves are 3 feet from the base of the pump

Comment

tks for the resolution!

sorry to put you through the troubleshooting to only get where you were going anyway; just hated to see you go buy a new pump if that wasn't the problem. hope it was worth the effort for you to make sure. I guess that old one was on the ragged edge of its capacity in the first installation, or had worn the impeller/housing interface some, or both... still seems odd, but 'whatever', you've got a fix.

if your new one has the fancy electric eye level sensor, keep an ear open for it kicking on and off way too often. those sensors tend to be twitchy. wiping them clean fixes them for a little while. if it gets twitchy and starts cycling the pump too often, it'll burn the motor up. if you've got a regular float-on-a-stick switch, it'll be fine for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X