Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why are "Wet Vents" not allowed?

Thanks.
    I don'think they would allow a Studor vent for a toilet.
    Not sure they even allowed it for an island sink. (But I had changed the plan and placed the sink beneath a window so ran the vent up the wall.)
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
      I took Denver's homeowner's plumbing test so that I could do everything myself.
      All work must pass inspection for the building permit to be signed off.
      I will have to remove drywall in a closet to run a 1-1/2 or 2-inch PVC pipe up to the attic to vent the toilet.
      Would have been nice to use the 3-inch waste line which continues straight out the roof as vent stack to vent the toilet.
      Just open the wall!

It's much easier to just open the wall and get on with it compared to fretting about ways to save the tiny amount of time drywall takes.

You've spent more time on this already that the drywall work would have taken.

Comment

wet venting can be a confusing subject even for licensed plumbers. In essence, you can not wet vent a 1st floor bath if there are fixtures on the 2nd floor dumping into the same vent stack you used for the 1st floor. Wet venting saves a lot of time and money if done correctly. Colorado allows wet venting. It just needs to be done to code. This thread is a perfect example of why licensed plumbers charge what we charge. It's because we know what we are doing. I told you way back that under the IPC the vent to water closet distance is "unlimited" and still you are going on about using the 3" to vent it. If you understood wet venting (or venting at all) you would have figured this out a long time ago. Hire a plumber before the project winds up costing you 3 times what it would have had you done so in the first place.
        sigpic

Comment

Doing it myself. I do everything to code even if I do not obtain a permit for a small item. (Electrical inspector surprisingly queried why I would pull a permit for a single outlet! [For a washlet])
          I had already decided to install a 1.5 vent for the toilet and lavatory.
          Original question: Why was wet venting allowed from second floor but no more? (Or was what I have seen never allowed?)
          When the renters move out I will add the powderoom.
          Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-05-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

If you wet vent a 1st floor bath, it's vent(s) must either run through the roof or tie in above the flood level rim or the second floor fixtures. No waste from the second floor can dump into the 1st floor waste upstream of the fixtures and no waste from the 2nd floor can dump into the 1st floor vents.
            sigpic

Comment

NH the only exception is 2" kitchen drain and laundry tub am I correct? sharing the same line . This is why you see more than one stack in a basement one for the half bath on the first floor and another for the 2nd floor bath rooms that way the plumber can wet vent in the half bath and in 2nd floor and save pipe. wet venting I think is a better method if possible this way our vent is getting cleaned on a regular basis or washed.

Comment

Yes and no. IPC will not let anything other than bathroom groups be wet vented and the 09 code now wants washing machines dumped into 3"
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Yes and no. IPC will not let anything other than bathroom groups be wet vented and the 09 code now wants washing machines dumped into 3"
                  2-inch standpipe with trap must go directly to 3" immediately under the floor?
                  Strange because new front-loading washers have an even smaller drain hose than older washers. Appears they do not pump even HALF the volume of water as typical clothes washers.
                  Is this so there will be less chance of a blockage and an unattended running clothes washer would continue to flood the utility room?

Comment

Maybe "suds pressure zone" ?

Comment

Working...
                    X