X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are "Wet Vents" not allowed?

Had the perfect place to install a 3" wet vent behind a toilet (I plan to create a powderoom on the first floor of an old house.)
    So many homes have them.
    Why no longer legal?

Thank you.

Robert
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Why are "Wet Vents" not allowed?

Depends on the code you are under. Under IPC the listed vent to toilet distance is unlimited.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Depends on the code you are under. Under IPC the listed vent to toilet distance is unlimited.
      I don't understand what that means.

I was hoping to make the 3-inch PVC waste line from the two 2nd-floor bathrooms be the vent for the new main floor powderoom toilet. (That three-inch continues as the vent stack out the roof.)
      But Denver says I can't wet vent the 1st-floor toilet.
      Now I'll have to run a 2-inch (is 1-1/2" sufficient?) vent from the powderoom toilet and tie it into the stack in the attic. That will be difficult.

Thank you.
      Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-29-2010, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
        I don't understand what that means.

I was hoping to make the 3-inch PVC waste line from the two 2nd-floor bathrooms be the vent for the new main floor powderoom toilet. (That three-inch continues as the vent stack out the roof.)
        But Denver says I can't wet vent the 1st-floor toilet.
        Now I'll have to run a 2-inch (is 1-1/2" sufficient?) vent from the powderoom toilet and tie it into the stack in the attic. That will be difficult.

Thank you.
        What exactly are you up too? You want to hook a hairdryer to the powder room toilet, originally posted that you had a perfect place behind the toilet I believe for the upstairs drop, and now you want to vent that powder room toilet with the vertical drop from the second floor bathrooms.

What's going on?

Follow the rules, do it right, don't try to find a way "around" everything.

No plumbers at all in your area?

J.C.

Comment

went venting is legal, but it has to be on the same floor as the fixtures you're serving. also a toilet can't be wet vented. but the sink and shower can wet vent into the toilet vent stack, out here.

who needs a vent

just hook up a hair dryer

are you waiting for the day i ask a chimney question

should be payback time

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Wet venting to the first floor could lead to blockage of the vents as the waste passes by. This can eventually lead to siphonage of the traps and a real stinky mess. Maybe if you hook a chain to the toilet flush valve that also turns on the hair dryer at the same time you can get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              What exactly are you up too? You want to hook a hairdryer to the powder room toilet, originally posted that you had a perfect place behind the toilet I believe for the upstairs drop, and now you want to vent that powder room toilet with the vertical drop from the second floor bathrooms.
              What's going on?
              Follow the rules, do it right, don't try to find a way "around" everything.
              No plumbers at all in your area?
              J.C.
              Different house.
              I do everything myself. Can't afford a professional.
              Just wondering why not now allowed, when other houses have it?
              Here it especially makes sense.
              Yes, I do everything to code.
              Thanks.
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-29-2010, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                Wet venting to the first floor could lead to blockage of the vents as the waste passes by. This can eventually lead to siphonage of the traps and a real stinky mess. Maybe if you hook a chain to the toilet flush valve that also turns on the hair dryer at the same time you can get away with it.
                That is a GREAT idea!
                Actually, Gift's Giftgasabzieher should turn on as soon as one is seated.
                If it works well enough, I would connect it to the powderoom light switch.

Thanks, PlumbeRick for explaining the details.
                I thought a 3-inch pipe would allowaste water passage without a blockage or without pulling water from the toilet trap.

Comment

Different house.
                  I do everything myself. Can't afford a professional.
                  Just wondering why not now allowed, when other houses have it?
                  Here it especially makes sense.
                  Yes, I do everything to code.
                  Thanks.
                  You keep saying they are not allowed which is incorrect. They are allowed in some cases but they need to be installed correctly. That is why some people will pay a professional who knows how to properly do it.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    You keep saying they are not allowed which is incorrect. They are allowed in some cases but they need to be installed correctly. That is why some people will pay a professional who knows how to properly do it.
                    Mark
                    I took Denver's homeowner's plumbing test so that I could do everything myself.
                    All work must pass inspection for the building permit to be signed off.
                    I will have to remove drywall in a closet to run a 1-1/2 or 2-inch PVC pipe up to the attic to vent the toilet.
                    Would have been nice to use the 3-inch waste line which continues straight out the roof as vent stack to vent the toilet.

Comment

I took Denver's homeowner's plumbing test so that I could do everything myself.
                      All work must pass inspection for the building permit to be signed off.
                      I will have to remove drywall in a closet to run a 1-1/2 or 2-inch PVC pipe up to the attic to vent the toilet.
                      Would have been nice to use the 3-inch waste line which continues straight out the roof as vent stack to vent the toilet.
                      Whoever said all codes are suppose to make sense. We just do what the good books tell us

Comment

hey Gift, I live in CO too.
                        What you are talking about sounds like it would not be allowed by any code anywhere at anytime. Colorado is under IPC code and a WC horizontal line can run unlimited until it makes a drop or connects to a stack, it will require a vent, at least 1.5". You can vent two bathroom groups with a 1.5" vent. Providing they are back to back on the same floor/ level.

Wet vents IPC can only be be used with drains on the same level.
                        Correctly installed wet vents can be used.
                        ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
                          hey Gift, I live in CO too.
                          What you are talking about sounds like it would not be allowed by any code anywhere at anytime. Colorado is under IPC code and a WC horizontal line can run unlimited until it makes a drop or connects to a stack, it will require a vent, at least 1.5". You can vent two bathroom groups with a 1.5" vent. Providing they are back to back on the same floor/ level.
                          Wet vents IPC can only be be used with drains on the same level.
                          Correctly installed wet vents can be used.
                          Yes. Thanks.
                          Just wondered why they were allowed and now no more.
                          I'll be venting the toilet with 1.5 inch which will be fun running to the attic from the first floor.
                          Will they make me fill the whole vent system again or I can be permitted to plug just the short toilet branch and its vent?
                          If the whole 2nd floor system, I'll have to pull two toilets and one REAL bidet and plug three sinks and a bathtub and shower.

Comment

They're legal in Michigan. It sounds a bit different there. In MI, you can individually vent a lav. and tie the b/t and or shower line into the lav line(1.5"), up or down stream and the the toilet up or down stream(whichever end you didn't tie into the b/t). If you tie the toilet upstream of the lav you can go up to 12 feet from the lav line( Only one fixture can go upstream of the vented line[lav]. The b/t would be 5 feet @ 1.5" pipe and the shower 8 feet @ 2" pipe. The footage applies downstream to the lav as well. You can put any bathroom fixture ,even bidets, and floor drains on a wet vent. Same floor also applies as mentioned in other posts.

Sorry sounds confusing

Comment

Have you considered an AAV? (Air Admittance Valve aka Studor Vent) As long as you keep it accessible, i.e. an access panel, they're good to go in Denver. That way you don't have to run to the 2nd floor or attic.

As far as your frustration; I don't know that they've ever been allowed to go to different floors. But I've seen some wonderful "plumbing" during the wild fix-n-flip days in the Denver Metro.

ETA: On remodels and additions, I've rarely had inspectors ask for any pressure tests, as long as they see good glue joints. I wouldn't worry about having to retest your entire system.

Comment

Working...
                              X