X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing screens on all roof vents

My neighbor is an old S.F. plumber . Doesn't do any drain work,has no machines, Here I now
    have 3 and a jetter, Hadley ever use it, and I'm a Gen. Cont.! I have shown Him what I have and offered it to Him ,If He ever needs it. Well His Wash. Machine backed up[Branch only] So I dropped off the General Top Gun. Now He has a huge 200 year old Oak tree
    Above His house and a flat roof. In the past He's talked about Billions of acorns raining down
    endlessly! I asked if this May be the blockage. No, He has installed screens for them all!
    At days end I picked it up. Cable cleaned and oiled. He can have whatever He needs for a machine in the future. Have You heard of screens for vents before ? I learned something!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: installing screens on all roof vents

Yes but we use them to keep out iguanas, etc. not a code thing
    Mike

Comment

A screen is o.k. if you live in a warm climate. The do make tamper proof caps for vents that have the air intake on the bottom, I think that they started using them years ago because the roofers were dropping their empty beer cans down the pipes.

Comment

Three are a bunch of vent screens available but make sure you do not reduce the vent cross-section.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Problem with screens is that now you have a really good perch for a birds nest.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Three are a bunch of vent screens available but make sure you do not reduce the vent cross-section.

Mark
            I can't see any reason Id ever install these. Poor Harry says His wife gets
            Upset with Him , every Year there is a bumper crop of acorns! Hi tree, must be a pita.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              I can't see any reason Id ever install these. Poor Harry says His wife gets
              Upset with Him , every Year there is a bumper crop of acorns! Hi tree, must be a pita.
              In some areas they have rodents and other critters climbing down them.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Here at the school district we use the tamper proof mushroom style caps that keeps the oak trees and vandals from dropping crap down the vents. I had a situation one time where someone dropped a broomstick down a vent on the high school football stadium bathrooms, that caused intermitent blockages in the sewer main for years. I would snake the main and it would be fine untill the next big game. It drove me nuts for along time until I finally had it camera-ed and found the culprit. Lots of fun snaring the broomstick out of a 2" vent. Vent covers were installed on all vents after that.

Comment

I'M IN ,WILL CHECK FERGY FOR THEM, OR SOLDER THEM UP MYSELF . Mouse in the house,
                  I'm in BIG trouble with Me bride !

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    I'M IN ,WILL CHECK FERGY FOR THEM, OR SOLDER THEM UP MYSELF . Mouse in the house,
                    I'm in BIG trouble with Me bride !
                    Mouse it he house? Time to break out the shot gun and commence ta' blastin'
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      Mouse it he house? Time to break out the shot gun and commence ta' blastin'
                      The only reason I'm still around ,is I kill " huge bugs " size of a bb
                      Last edited by toolaholic; 06-01-2010, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
                        Here at the school district we use the tamper proof mushroom style caps that keeps the oak trees and vandals from dropping crap down the vents. I had a situation one time where someone dropped a broomstick down a vent on the high school football stadium bathrooms, that caused intermitent blockages in the sewer main for years. I would snake the main and it would be fine untill the next big game. It drove me nuts for along time until I finally had it camera-ed and found the culprit. Lots of fun snaring the broomstick out of a 2" vent. Vent covers were installed on all vents after that.
                        I was called to remove a baseball-on-the-end-of-a-rope out of a 2" metal vent.
                        The baseball was hanging from the pipe.
                        Its red handle was 20 feet down inside the vent and would not come out.
                        Had to use me fibreglass chimbley brush rods to catch on the rope and move it so that it came free.
                        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

repeated vanity sink stoppage; pulled over 50 full, double peanuts in the shell out of the line, several times. someone was feeding the squirrels, squirrel was storing them in the vent.

4" service, full of pinecones, again I think a squirrel, down the vent stack.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            repeated vanity sink stoppage; pulled over 50 full, double peanuts in the shell out of the line, several times. someone was feeding the squirrels, squirrel was storing them in the vent.
                            That's the squirrel I trained.
                            Put them in the wrong tube.
                            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

WE HAVE A LOT OF BIRDS AND 2 squirrels in our yard, I constantly keep 2 bird baths full and leave lots of sunflower seeds and wild bird seed out. 6 doves [ 3 couples] stella jays,scrub jays, sparrows, humming birds. We love the show .Glass, floor to open beam ceiling . Read about Mark twain and steller Jays.

Comment

Working...
                              X