Locating spetic system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating spetic system

I bought a house a couple of years ago and need to get the spetic drained. Problem is I dont know where to dig. I have a general idea as i watched it being done when the system was inspected. I dont want to dig aimlessly as its in a section of a garden. Which local governemt office should I contact? Its my understanding they will have that info/plans?

The funny thing is the company that emptied it previously doesnt remember doing it so they are no help.

Re: Locating spetic system

Originally posted by Pez View Post
    ... I have a general idea as i watched it being done when the system was inspected. I dont want to dig aimlessly as its in a section of a garden....
    If this helps, found a neighbor's septic tank by establishing a grid and poking the ground with a sharp rod. This could be done in a garden with damaging any plants. (Can't remember what I used as a rod.)
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

get a tile probe. breid..............

Comment

May be if the septic man came back to your house he would remember
        He probable doesn't like to dig the whole yard up either

Comment

put a pumping port on it when you find it. breid............

Comment

i do about 2 a month where i stick the camera into the CO and find the inlet, mark it and go about my other business. the HO gets to see the condition of the line and can take steps, or not, to correct any issues

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Re: Locating septic system

Your local health dept. should have a record of the location.

Comment

many options;

poking with a stick can work depending on depth of tank and soil type.

camera with a sonde and locator is pretty certain to work, as is a flushable sonde and locator, but will cost you a bit to have this done.

just digging for long enough will work too, but you've said that is not your preference.

whatever records you can find of installation at whatever your area calls the environmental health dept will help a little, but if they are anything like what I find at mine, they will at best steer you in the general direction, not give you an x marks the spot.

Agree with pumping port suggestion; all tanks should have risers on the lids brought to the surface.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                X