X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent needed?

Older home has utility tub added in basement directly below kitchen sink. Kitchen sink 2" Pipe comes down the wall to 4" in floor. A plumber removed the clean-out to connect utility tub. Besides eliminating the clean-out (that I now need to clean the 4"). They also installed two automatic vents.
    I want to leave the sink but restore the clean-out to at least 3 1/2". I don't need any vent since the utility tub has less than 5Ft of pipe going to 4" pipe.. Correct?
    Thanks, Dennis... I'm septic & drain not a plumber.

Re: Vent needed?

Originally posted by Dennis/Ohio View Post
    Older home has utility tub added in basement directly below kitchen sink. Kitchen sink 2" Pipe comes down the wall to 4" in floor. A plumber removed the clean-out to connect utility tub. Besides eliminating the clean-out (that I now need to clean the 4"). They also installed two automatic vents.
    I want to leave the sink but restore the clean-out to at least 3 1/2". I don't need any vent since the utility tub has less than 5Ft of pipe going to 4" pipe.. Correct?
    Thanks, Dennis... I'm septic & drain not a plumber.
    The utility sink would be wet vented, so yes you will need a vent, and most codes do not allow you to use a clean out to plumb in future fixtures.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      The utility sink would be wet vented, so yes you will need a vent, and most codes do not allow you to use a clean out to plumb in future fixtures.
      I don't think it is allowed to be plumbed into the clean-out fitting. Although the plumbing was done by a licensed plumbing company. I'll get the plumbing company that did the work involved and See what we come up with.
      Thanks, Dennis....

Comment

I don't think it is allowed to be plumbed into the clean-out fitting. Although the plumbing was done by a licensed plumbing company. I'll get the plumbing company that did the work involved and See what we come up with.
        Thanks, Dennis....
        Just curious, other than its threaded plug, how can one connect to a female cleanout outlet?
        Yes, I would have opposed eliminating a cleanout.
        In the 3-inch vertical line from the second floor, I.nstalled a wide-sweep "Y" |r| with the cleanout exiting flush with the exterior siding about 30 inches above the ground.
        Makes for the easiest rooting jobs I havever done.
        Also installed an outdoor outlet near it for the rooter.
        Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-05-2010, 12:40 AM.
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
          Just curious, other than its threaded plug, how can one connect to a female clean out outlet?
          Yes, I would have opposed eliminating a clean out.
          Has a threaded bushing thats probably 3 1/2" since it was a 3 1/2" clean-out. The bushing looks older like the plumber installed a new sink and piping similar to what was there before he got the job.
          I'd guess one of those rubber donuts would make a connection. I've seen a donut connecting 4" PVC to 4" cast bell without a leak. High rough, at the wall and no leaks. I was surprised how it seemed to work well.

I have a restaurant right now I keep telling the owner to have a outside clean-out installed. It is overhead in the basement, give me a break!

Best, Dennis.....

Comment

...I have a restaurant right now I keep telling the owner to have a outside clean-out installed. It is overhead in the basement, give me a break! ...
            What? And save bringing heavy rooters inside and downstairs and then hauling the filthy rooters back up?
            And miss the fun of pulling the dripping snake out above your head?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
              What? And save bringing heavy rooters inside and downstairs and then hauling the filthy rooters back up?
              And miss the fun of pulling the dripping snake out above your head?
              The really sad part is the clean-out cap is only two feet from the back wall and parking lot. A 45 and three feet of pipe would put it outside (brick wall but oh well). I had a plumber give him an estimate to do it and he didn't have it done so far. Ooops, I hope he can swim.

Comment

The really sad part is the clean-out cap is only two feet from the back wall and parking lot. A 45 and three feet of pipe would put it outside (brick wall but oh well). I had a plumber give him an estimate to do it and he didn't have it done so far. Ooops, I hope he can swim.
                How unfortunate. (stupid)
                If I were there, I'd put in thextension myself. (First would check with the building department to see if there is anything prohibiting an exterior cleanout there.)
                Never had a problem chiseling through a double brick wall. Actually kind of fun!

Comment

Working...
                X