X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Sharkbite in wall

I took out a frostfree faucet the previous owner had installed without attaching the line. Now I have a new faucet to install with a 1/2" male connection. What's left of the 1/2" copper pipe is 14" away and down 3".

I have sweated maybe a half dozen joints in my life. They didn't leak, but the last one was 30+ years ago. I do not want to go there.

First: Can I use Sharkbite connectors in the wall? One poster on another site said Sharkbite is "just another pressure connector and is only in code where it is visible."

Second: I saw a 1/2" Sharkbite to 3/4" female flex line water heater connector. The faucet I took out has a 3/4" male. I might be able to repair it and reinstall it. Would that flex line be appropriate for this? Is it likely I could find one like it but with a 1/2" female on one end?

Any other suggestions appreciated too.

Thanks.

Re: Use of Sharkbite in wall

most of us won't recommend sharkbites, much less in a wall, and at least under IPC the flex connectors Have to be in an readily accessible location.

It's a home, don't cut corners.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

sharkbites are ok in my book, but i wouldn't install it in a non accessible location and especially 1 that's subject to a twisting/ rotational force.

probably best to prep it for a plumber due to the tight spot and potential for a fire.

take a photo and post it for us

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the post.

I Wouldn't want to cut corners. That's why I'm here. I wouldn't have thought of them except one of the editors of Handyman Magazine said, "Rest assured that push-in fittings have earned a thumbs-up from plumbing watchdog organizations like IAMPO, UPO, and IPC." Of course I have no idea who he is talking about, but it sounded good. : )

And he said nothing about a requirement to use them only under certain circumstances.

So your saying the only option is the sweat joints?

Comment

Thanks Rick

As for the photo, I just did a recover on my computer and I haven't installed my camera and the computer is ignoring it. : )

It's pretty straight forward though. A 1/2" copper pipe coming through the left (inside) stud about 3" below where the faucet will come in.

As for the twist and turn concern, I would guess we would just do the way the builder did on the one in the front of the house. the connector he used is made to attach to the stud the faucet ends in with a couple of brass wood screws. That one held up OK when I replaced it. The home owner didn't seem to think that was necessary when he replaced the original (the insulation in between those two studs is different at the bottom).

As for the fire hazard, I've never set one on fire yet, and number two son managed to cap the line without lighting any fires.

As for a pro, I think number one son can manage since he sweats in HVAC OK.

But if there are no safe connections to switch out the copper pipe, I guess we'll just do it the old fashioned way. : )

Thanks for taking time to respond guys. If anyone has a better idea, speak up.

Comment

sounds like the #1 and #2 son and you can easily handle the solder job. don't have him braze it as it anneals the copper and makes it too soft.

you're in good hands with the family.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Papa James View Post
              Thanks for the post.

I Wouldn't want to cut corners. That's why I'm here. I wouldn't have thought of them except one of the editors of Handyman Magazine said, "Rest assured that push-in fittings have earned a thumbs-up from plumbing watchdog organizations like IAMPO, UPO, and IPC." Of course I have no idea who he is talking about, but it sounded good. : )

And he said nothing about a requirement to use them only under certain circumstances.

So your saying the only option is the sweat joints?
              Do you really think IAPMO, UPO, IPC NSF or any others are not in it for the money
              sigpic

Comment

hell i'm in it for the money. breid................

Comment

Working...
                X