Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water pressure again

Originally posted by natalie1999 View Post
    Thanks Kevin but I do think expansion tank is working. It's only supposed to kick in when water heater is running, and the water pressure is not being maintained at a steady PSI even though water heater is not running.

I actually found an old quote for replacing PRV and main water valve to ball valve (someone recommended this to me a while back) for $295. Should probably give them a call tomorrow.
    A PRV and ball valve for $295...should have done it then. I have had people fly me from FL to NY to do a service call. Unless you have something more to look at? doesn't make sense.

An expansion tank works ALL THE TIME! This is why the tank is filled to within 2# of the delivery pressure. To much it is useless...to little you may create disease. This is why you need a trusted professional. The water heater is only the source of the issue.

Todays water heaters expend their btu potential better now than before. This means a faster rate of gaining heat. Boyle's Law states that temperature and pressure go up together.So we are also gaining pressure rapidly with the heat, just after you turn off the hot water valve. Now we have a sealed system...because your taps don't leak. Pressure has no where to go...except into the expansion tank. Without it, the T&P on the water heater will start to give. Now you have another water leak.

To little pressure and you will not exchange the water in the tank completely and create stagnet water. This type of water condition over time can cause disease and still have a leak in the same place.

You want and need a real professional that can service both your HVAC and plumbing...that does not over a quote over the phone!

Comment

Okay, from your message, maybe I should just call a technician to see what's up with the pressure. I'm pretty confused now so it might be for the best. The estimate for $295 was from a recommended plumber who just said it was an estimate, could change once he saw everything.

Comment

Kevin, I personally installed her expansion tank less than a year ago. I'm sure it's fine. Her issue now is with the pressure reducing valve now. She has extremely high pressure in her neighborhood and PRV's are a common failure.

If the $295 installed price is still valid with that plumber you should probably schedule with him and be done with it. It would be hard to find a better price for that job.

If I remember correctly she has CPVC throughout the house. The main service coming in may be copper I can't be sure. You may want to mention you have CPVC so he can bring the proper adapters.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Kevin, I personally installed her expansion tank less than a year ago. I'm sure it's fine. Her issue now is with the pressure reducing valve now. She has extremely high pressure in her neighborhood and PRV's are a common failure.

If the $295 installed price is still valid with that plumber you should probably schedule with him and be done with it. It would be hard to find a better price for that job.

If I remember correctly she has CPVC throughout the house. The main service coming in may be copper I can't be sure. You may want to mention you have CPVC so he can bring the proper adapters.
          If I were you Natalie...I would have Barry do it no matter the cost. He cares enough about his profession to be on here and he knows your system a year later...He Cares About His Work!

If you have cpvc then pressure is even more important. A failed prv will most certainly cause all the above and ruin a 1 year old expansion tank as well. I would not rule it out, should be rechecked. What kind of pressure do you have supplied? We had one that was pushing 200 psi and had to 2 stage the prv.

Comment

Lol, that is true Kevin. I would very much like him to do it if he can!

The water supply company says the pressure is 80 psi but that seems more like a rough estimate. They seemed unwilling to tell me anything else. My county website even says we don't need expansion tanks and it is not required by Code. Just shows you how much they know.

Comment

Working...
            X