sump pump problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump pump problem

Last night, a breaker was tripped which also had the sump pump plugged into it. So, I reset the breaker and then plugged the sump pump back into the grounded outlet. It made a short buzzing/humming sound and has not worked since. (I don't know if it had stopped working before the breaker had tripped as we had been out of town for the weekend.) I've read the manual and tried plugging in the power cord directly, bypassing the solid-state water sensor plug, like the manual suggested and nothing happens. Does this mean the motor is ruined? Or is there a reset switch on the ridgid sump pump that I should find and reset?

Re: sump pump problem

i believe it's a thermal overlaod like most pumps. sounds like a pump and piggyback float switch. if plugging in the pump directly without the switch, it still hums,then your pump is shot or jammed. pull the pump and check for debris that might be lodged in the impeller. then plug it in and see what happens outside the water pit.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Sounds like the shaft is frozen or an obstruction in the impeller.
      Can you manually turn the impeller?
      If no hum, now, I hope you can find a reset button.
      If not, can you get into the motor and replace a thermofuse which may have blown.
      I soldered in a new one and the motor works fine.
      Do thermofuses tend to operate and reset only a few times before failing?
      Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-09-2010, 10:47 AM.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

I will pull the pump and see what I can find.

I hope I find a reset switch.

Comment

there is no reset switch that's resetable by you. the thermal switch is internal and automatic if it does indeed have 1.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
          X