Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

new service line

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new service line

    The well on some rental property I own has gone bad and all 5 estimates for well service have come in well over $20k.... sooo, I'm looking at connecting into county water. I'm getting varied info about how/what to install for county water; one group says use 1" pex, another says 1" poly, another says to use 2" poly. The service length is ~700ft with a total rise from the street of about 15ft. The county will install the meter with a 3/4" connect ($7k) and I've gotten 3 estimates for trenching the pipe, all fall between $6-7k. The trenching costs, I think, are wayyy out of line but overall the cost still beats well service.

    What do the pros think about the kind of line that should run 700ft?

    thanks

  • #2
    Re: new service line

    700' is a long run. 15' rise is nothing. but i would see what a larger meter will run 1'' will supply more water than a 3/4''.

    also i would definitely oversize the water service too. the pressure drop during use actual use will vary greatly with a smaller line compared to a larger line. also keep in mind that an over sized line will not flush debris as well and could eventually get a scum layer.

    as far as pipe material goes. 700' of pex or poly is still relatively cheap. if it's approved, make sure you bury a tracer wire and plenty of sand to protect the line. copper will cost a pretty fortune and that leaves pvc.

    check with your local city and contractor for what's approved and what they suggest. remember plenty of sand and tracer wire for non metallic pipe. take pictures and save to your computer.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: new service line

      Originally posted by netsysmgr View Post
      The well on some rental property I own has gone bad and all 5 estimates for well service have come in well over $20k.... sooo, I'm looking at connecting into county water. I'm getting varied info about how/what to install for county water; one group says use 1" pex, another says 1" poly, another says to use 2" poly. The service length is ~700ft with a total rise from the street of about 15ft. The county will install the meter with a 3/4" connect ($7k) and I've gotten 3 estimates for trenching the pipe, all fall between $6-7k. The trenching costs, I think, are wayyy out of line but overall the cost still beats well service.

      What do the pros think about the kind of line that should run 700ft?

      thanks
      Not enough information. How do you plan to use the water? Will you be irrigating a yard or garden? How many bathrooms is the building and how many people may reside in it? What is your estimated max gpm usage?

      Now with that information you can size the line properly. PEX is a great way to go, but there is also another product very similar call PureCore. Check with local codes...but purecore comes in 500' lengths, so only one buried joint is better than 7.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: new service line

        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        700' is a long run. 15' rise is nothing. but i would see what a larger meter will run 1'' will supply more water than a 3/4''.

        also i would definitely oversize the water service too. the pressure drop during use actual use will vary greatly with a smaller line compared to a larger line. also keep in mind that an over sized line will not flush debris as well and could eventually get a scum layer.

        as far as pipe material goes. 700' of pex or poly is still relatively cheap. if it's approved, make sure you bury a tracer wire and plenty of sand to protect the line. copper will cost a pretty fortune and that leaves pvc.

        check with your local city and contractor for what's approved and what they suggest. remember plenty of sand and tracer wire for non metallic pipe. take pictures and save to your computer.

        rick.
        Moving to a 1" meter more than doubles the meter cost and significantly raises the usage rates so I've ruled the 1" meter option as a no-go.
        I would agree to using a service pipe larger than the meter tap but would you consider 1" pex/poly insufficient? 1.5" poly be a better option?

        thanks

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: new service line

          Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
          Not enough information. How do you plan to use the water? Will you be irrigating a yard or garden? How many bathrooms is the building and how many people may reside in it? What is your estimated max gpm usage?

          Now with that information you can size the line properly. PEX is a great way to go, but there is also another product very similar call PureCore. Check with local codes...but purecore comes in 500' lengths, so only one buried joint is better than 7.
          Water line will supply the house only. Landscaping is handled by another well.
          The house has 3 full baths, technically is a 4 bedroom house, with 2 adults living in it. I couldn't guess at what the monthly usage is.
          I can get both pex and poly in 500' spools but I'm getting conflicting info about which should be used -- one side says absolutely use poly and no pex, the other says just the opposite.

          thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: new service line

            >>>I can get both pex and poly in 500' spools but I'm getting conflicting info about which should be used -- one side says absolutely use poly and no pex, the other says just the opposite.<<<

            I would have no problem putting in either, used both never had a problem, I would go with the cheapest.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: new service line

              Poly in my opinion is the worst pipe product on the market.

              Pex would be your best bet.

              Comment

              Working...
              X