X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower Drain

Any ideas on how to get grout out of a trap? The shower was draining slowly so I removed the strainer, snaked the drain and scraped (using a dowel) some soap/hair/dirt off the inside of the drain. The drain now works but I can feel grout in the trap. I'm pretty sure it's grout as I had to chip grout out of the screw heads and the strainer in order to remove it. The trap isn't accessible without opening the kitchen ceiling.

This is the fourth minor tile related problem from a renovation done 5 years ago.
    Not a bad tiler, just sloppy. Wonder why he doesn't use us as a reference?

Re: Shower Drain

Take a shop vac and suck all the water out of the trap. Then take a two liter bottle of coke and pour it in the line and let it sit over night. They next day check it, it may take a few times but I know people who says it works. I have heard that people will also use muriatic acid / hydrochloric acid. That is some strong stuff and I am not comfortable with recommending it but there are some guys out there that might. You would risk damaging your pipe when using any acid to clean your drains as well as yourself. You can burn yourself very bad and chemical burns are the worst kind.

I hope some of the other guys might have a better solution but that is all I could think of.

Comment

hammer and chistle? CAREFULLY? thats a crappy one, ummm i agree with using coke, maybe after the pop sitting over night you mite be able to hammer out the grout CAREFULLY or just losen it up to be able to shop vac er out.... Good luck

Row
      if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

First I removed the water with a wash cloth rung into the toilet.
        Then used a hammer and long screwdriver as chisel. Was fun!
        (Nothing sharp to cut into the PVC pipe.)
        Also try filling the trap with white vinegar and letting it remain for as long as possible. Cheap, nontoxic, biodegradeable.
        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

if nothing else works, the muriatic acid likely will....

Try EVERY other option first, more than once.

Comment

K-50 with chain knocker head while flushing with plenty of water.
            Go slow and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by radar_40 View Post
              if nothing else works, the muriatic acid likely will....

Try EVERY other option first, more than once.
              There recently was a plumber killed using muriatic acid to clean an area in a pipe, two fire department responders had to be rushed to the hospital (don't know if they survived) I would THINK real hard before I used it.

Comment

Originally posted by shacko View Post
                There recently was a plumber killed using muriatic acid to clean an area in a pipe, two fire department responders had to be rushed to the hospital (don't know if they survived) I would THINK real hard before I used it.
                The firefighters may be brain dead. My chief is angry that they entered without SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus).
                Muriatic acid is no problem as long as plentiful ventilation.
                Whenecessary I use a squirrel cage blower to blow bad air out and bring fresh air in from behind.

Comment

I have done that many many times with a 5/16" or a 3/8 " cable
                  had this track of homes ever time one sold the developer called us
                  to have use power snake the bathtub and shower drains because the
                  tiler they used had got grout in the traps and drains run the snake with lots of water and problem solved !
                  JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Long flathead screwdriver, light hammer, and shop vac...good luck.

There will still be jagged debris left on the back side of the trap. The drain will need service more frequently.

Light taps

Comment

Robert Gift:>>>Muriatic acid is no problem as long as plentiful ventilation.<<<

Thats one of the reasons that I don't recommend muriatic acid for diyers because you can't even convince the pros that there is potential danger.

I know of pros that were killed because they tried to vent propane or freon in a closed up area.

Muriatic acid can also create an explosion if mixed with the wrong substance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                        Long flathead screwdriver, light hammer, and shop vac...good luck.
                        There will still be jagged debris left on the back side of the trap. The drain will need service more frequently.
                        Light taps?
                        Taps light enough noto break the screwdriver handle.
                        The trap cannot be accessed any other way except for tearing out drywall.
                        Too bad the tiler didn't shove a piece of garbage into the drain to prevent all this problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X