X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Tub and Capping Pipes

I am removing a jet tub from my bathroom, and I want to cap the drain and the pipes so I can tile in the spot. I have a concrete slab and I wasn't real sure what the best way was to do this so that I can tile in the area. Any help from some experts would be great.

Thanks

Re: Removing Tub and Capping Pipes

You will know better when you get the tub out. If there is a box opening in the slab, I would remove the trap, and cap the trap arm somehow. Glue on cap if it is plastic. If it is threaded iron, cap the trap arm, or unscrew the nipple and plug the wye or wherever it connects, with a threaded plug. Some picture after you get the tub out would help.

You will need to patch the hole in the slab.

Comment

Open it up and see what you have. Most likely you have a concrete open box as said. You can put a rag in the pipe while doing the tile work. If you are going to take a lot of time doing the tile...then put the rag in a plastic bag and shove it in the pipe. All you want is to stop sewer gas and keep crap out of the pipe. If you want to get high tech? Get a rubber stopper plug. Cut your pipe as long as possible and still being able to do the tile.

One thing FL has is subterranean termites. If you fill the box with concrete there will still be a seam large enough for them to come in. I would leave the box open and saturate the area with insecticide just before the area is ready to be sealed in. If possible I would leave an access panel to be able to get back to the drain line plumbing.

You mentioned capping the darin line and other pipes for the jet tub...there will only be a drain line under the tub. The remaining pipes are a part of the tub you are pulling. Unless you have a deck mounted faucet?

Comment

Name and area are familiar...did you ever work with Tri-County Gas, MapCo, Williams, or Ferrell? In the Stuart area?

If you are him...catch me back.
        Last edited by Kevin Jones; 06-13-2010, 03:38 PM. Reason: personal note

Comment

FORGET ALL THAT HOME HANDYMAN SXXT

THE REAL PROFESSIONAL WAY IS TO USE A END CAP ALSO KNOWN IN

THE TRADE AS A JIM CAP OR TEST CAP SUCH AS THESE FROM MISSION

COUPLING CO.

http://www.missionrubber.com/Products/EndCaps.php

FOR EATHER A SHORT TIME WHILE YOU ARE DOING A REMODEL

OR PERMANENT THEY MEET CODE AND ARE " GAS " TIGHT !
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

For your hot and cold faucet supply pipes get some sharkbite

end caps they are good for copper,pex, or cpvc pipes and just push on the pipes
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
            X