pex vs cpvc.....replacing galvanized

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pex vs cpvc.....replacing galvanized

So i have galvanized pipe that was installed in 1984. The last homeowner replaced maybe 10% with copper leaving me with about 150 feet of galvanized pipe. Over the last 5 years i have had 3 pin hole leaks and ready to replace the old with the new.

I have a few plumbers come out and bid the job. All pipe is in the attic, easy to get to. Horizontals only, connecting to existing verticals.

Two plumbers stated they would only use CPVC or Copper, no PEX. They both went on and on about how bad PEX is and so forth. One bid was 1600 and one was 3700 for CPVC. They both said copper would at least double that about.

Had two plumbers come out and quote only PEX. the would both use the Uphonor system with brass fittings. no manifold just running the PEX like the current pipes are, elbow and tees as needed....one bid is $1700 and one is $2000.

So i live in Houston Texas. Summers are HOT. attic gets hot. My area has HARD water. what are the pros and cons of PEX vs CPVC. If it was your house what would you use.

Re: pex vs cpvc.....replacing galvanized

Go with copper. Pex sucks
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      Go with copper. Pex sucks
      That is a well thought out answer.

What if i tell you copper only lasts 10 years in my area.....would you still say go with copper?

Comment

I live in Glendale AZ and typically the attic gets quite warm 130F+
        in the summer time.
        I replaced all our galvanized with WISBRO-PEX almost 4+ years ago.

The routing was also via the attic to a manifold distribution system located in the "utility room".

I have copper stub outs for all fixtures and the manifold is all copper with ball valves.

I ran 3/4" PEX to everything...
        keep in mind the inside diameter of PEX is slightly less than 3/4 or when running 1/2 it's also a bit less.

I also ran 1" PEX from the water meter to the manifold.
        I do have a water softener and the way I'm plumbed I soften both the hot and cold runs.

I suggest the following....
        insulate all your PEX in the attic with that split foam pipe insulation. You buy it in 4 or 6 foot lengths at Home Depot.
        Don't just do the hot run do the cold supply too as that will reduce the heat transfer from the attic to the cold supply.

We are very happy with PEX and just be sure the plumber doing the installation has the knowledge and correct tools for the brand of PEX he is using. Also watch him to ensure he secures the runs properly, and does gentle bends..no sharp nineties!!! sometimes a loop will also be OK. If not secured correctly you may experience water hammer or banging when your toilets fill, as the PEX can/does vibrate if not secured properly.

Verify if you'll require a building permit...very important for homeowner's insurance coverage.

Another advantage is the runs are seamless! In other words the main supply line goes directly to the manifold and each run is one piece from the manifold to its assigned stub out. With CPVC you'll have to deal with many glued fittings and it only takes one bad glue joint to fail at 9p.m. on a Friday night to ruin a weekend!

Finally do the estimates you presented here include new fixtures? I strongly suggest you replace them ALL as they are probably grunged up from the galvanized pipe. I did all the dry wall repairs myself and saved close to $2000.00

Another obvious plus are the filters on my reverse osmosis system stays cleaner longer.
        You will be amazed as to the improved water pressure after you install PEX.

A negative is your water will have a plastic taste for a while. This will only be until the pipes are "washed" by water flow. This can be a week or less or more...The taste is harmless.

Cactus Man

Comment

Just curious as to why copper only lasts 10 years in the Houston area?

Is it due to the water or to the heat or both or what?

-confused in Chicago

Comment

Uponor PEX, and insulate the pipes

I really like copper, but like PEX, PVC etc etc etc, it isn't for every job

Comment

Here in south-central Fla. CPVC is the go-to alternative to copper.
              Mainly due to cost, but there are water quality issues in some areas.
              It is more readily available than PEX and the pipe and fittings are CTS.
              We've done a lot of residential and commercial jobs with zero
              fitting failures. When done properly a solvent weld joint should
              never fail. Regardless, insulating the piping is a good idea.

Comment

I would take PEX over CPVC any day. That being said I must pose a question. Isn't CPVC an oil base product? Wouldn't the oil dissipate over the course of say 15 years and leave the pipe brittle? I seem to recall a lot of law suits out of Texas specifically for that reason back in the late 80's and early 90's.

Comment

I have seen CPVC get brittle over time, but I don't know of any
                  cases where that, in itself, caused failure. As for law suits, I've
                  never heard of any, but that doesn't mean there weren't any.
                  Sometimes the region dictates the material that is used.
                  Not saying CPVC is better than PEX, just saying it's what
                  we're used to using. IMO, copper is king, but not always practical.

Comment

PEX sucks, it's not DIY friendly and it's expensive. It's reliability is only as good as whoever installed it. BEWARE. As soon as you have a problem with it is when you will realize the REAL cost of it. SCAM.

Comment

PEX sucks, it's not DIY friendly and it's expensive. It's reliability is only as good as whoever installed it. BEWARE. As soon as you have a problem with it is when you will realize the REAL cost of it. SCAM.

Comment

I'd rather find lead pipes than PEX crap whe I have to go fix something....it's unreliable, expensive, unproven GARBAGE as far as I and most any other DIY'er are concerned.

If it's so great and so reliable then why is it so failure prone and so expensive for an average person to fix?? All it is is a scam made to keep people from DIY'ing. I live in a mobile home that was made in 1989 and it's only 2010...I dont even know when this GREAT PEX was put in but it was sometimne after 1989 and now cuz most of my insulation is torn out from under the house around ALL my pipes....kitchen, AND bathrooms....so how can it be that great?? It sprung a leak just now, and I don't know when this crap was installed butit HAS to be between 1989 and 2009 so how great can it be?? I have a slow leak somewhere in my kitchen sink too....mold growing around the under-cabinets.....wow....great product...well worth the extra expense...NOT.... what CRAP. Even if old copper or PVC failed EVER single winter then I'd still come up better than with the PEX garbage. If you're a DIY'er then avoid PEX. If you find PEX in your house then replace it with PVC or copper before fixing the PEX.

Comment

Originally posted by jeannielay View Post
                          I'd rather find lead pipes than PEX crap whe I have to go fix something....it's unreliable, expensive, unproven GARBAGE as far as I and most any other DIY'er are concerned.

If it's so great and so reliable then why is it so failure prone and so expensive for an average person to fix?? All it is is a scam made to keep people from DIY'ing. I live in a mobile home that was made in 1989 and it's only 2010...I dont even know when this GREAT PEX was put in but it was sometimne after 1989 and now cuz most of my insulation is torn out from under the house around ALL my pipes....kitchen, AND bathrooms....so how can it be that great?? It sprung a leak just now, and I don't know when this crap was installed butit HAS to be between 1989 and 2009 so how great can it be?? I have a slow leak somewhere in my kitchen sink too....mold growing around the under-cabinets.....wow....great product...well worth the extra expense...NOT.... what CRAP. Even if old copper or PVC failed EVER single winter then I'd still come up better than with the PEX garbage. If you're a DIY'er then avoid PEX. If you find PEX in your house then replace it with PVC or copper before fixing the PEX.

is your pex grey?

Comment

jeannie baby tell us how you really feel. had much luck welding pex lately? i have both cpvc and pex in my house in the attic in indiana with no problems. are you going to use a manifold on your pex? breid................

Comment

This, So much This

Originally posted by GreenPlumb View Post
                              is your pex grey?
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X