dishwasher not draining

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dishwasher not draining

can anyone please give me their thoughts on a whirlpool dishwasher I am having problems with. it is working fine except for the draining of the used water. the hose to the garbage disposal seems clear. I see water in the hose but its just moving very slightly up and down when it should be draining. its not moving forward. I dont even know if I hear a "drain" motor running during this phase. should I? or is there no drain motor? please help with some advice. Glenn

Re: dishwasher not draining

p.m. "jered" he's actually an appliance guy and can give you the break down on that model.

do you have an air gap on the counter? or does the 5/8'' drain hose go directly to the disposal?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

thanks for posting Rick. Ive never seen the "air gap" that is talked about before. (?) but the hose goes right to the disposal and doesnt seem clogged. Glenn

Comment

I unfortunately dont know "Jered". do you have his screen namer so I might be able to PM him? Glenn

Comment

sorry, jerad http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/member.php?u=3161

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I had the same problem once, it turned out to be a foil lid, the type under screw caps made it past the dishwasher inlet strainer and laid in the sump before the inlet to the pump acting as a flapper.

Comment

I was thinking something like this also Lee. I am going to wet vac out the water and see if something is possibly down there. but if thats not the case I will try to get ahold of Jered. thanks Rick for His info. Glenn

Comment

he hasn't been on for close to a month and i hope he will check in. he didn't list any contact info. unless he checks in, it might take a while

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by all work & no play Glenn View Post
                  can anyone please give me their thoughts on a whirlpool dishwasher I am having problems with. it is working fine except for the draining of the used water. the hose to the garbage disposal seems clear. I see water in the hose but its just moving very slightly up and down when it should be draining. its not moving forward. I dont even know if I hear a "drain" motor running during this phase. should I? or is there no drain motor? please help with some advice. Glenn
                  Did you take the plug out of the garbage disposal?
                  The Other Rick

Comment

there is typically no drain motor. what there is a solenoid valve that redirects the water to the drain instead of the spray arms.

feel inside the disposal for a clear opening from the dishwasher hose.

also you should be able to see under the kick panel of the dishwasher for that valve. it's the one with the 3 hoses and has a solenoid with a wire linkage to control the valve direction.

but it could be a bad timer that actually controls the operation of the cycles.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

i've only swapped out a few timer switches, but all of them failed at the the point that started the drain cycle

Comment

thanks Guys for all this help thus far. I have gone thru all your comments and I am now leaning on that it is the timer switch. I did a test run on my washer and although its a GE I assume its the same basic design. I can hear clearly the time when mine is draining. you hear the difference in the sound of the "motor", when I get to that point on theirs there is no sounds at all, nor movement of any kind so I am going to see about getting a new timer and hopefully thats that. is the timer easy to replace? do I pop off the plate behind the face of the washer? Glenn

Comment

I just looked up a "timer" for the model I need. it costs $134.00, does this sound about right? is that the item I acually need, a "timer"? Glenn

Comment

easiest thing to do is manually engage the solenoid and see if it drains. be careful as the wires are live while it's running.

if it drains, then check for power at the solenoid during the drain cycle. if power, it's the solenoid. if no power, it's most likely the timer or possibly a relay if it has 1.

i can fix my own machines, but rarely want to deal with customers machines as it's not my trade.

don't swap the timer until you test for power to the solenoid.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

thanks Rick for this thought. I do want to try this but unfortunately I really dont even know what the "solenoid" looks like. is there a web site that shows the guts of a dishwasher. Ive tried many times in the past to find such a "map" of the internal parts but never got lucky. Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X