X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tapping into existing gas line

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    soapy water or simple green.

is that tee and plug in the original position as you found it?

normally the the tee branch is to the meter and the plug is at the opposite end of the house line. this allows the gas company to bypass the meter and still supply gas to the house so they don't need to light anything if you're not home.

never seen them do it with the plug on top. maybe they have a different setup than we have

rick.
    ya rick on page 3 he has pics and tee with plug in same place
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Thanks post plumber

As post plumber said the pic is earlier in the thread but I will post it again.

I will check my neighbor's houses but I think they are all the same. To be honest I cannot see how you can bypass the meter with this arrangement. Maybe the original installers screwed up

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
        ya rick on page 3 he has pics and tee with plug in same place
        you are correct

maybe they do things different in san diego

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Yes, my neighbors also have their gas meters connected this way. I assumed that the plug was to allow access to test the gas pressure by the gas company.

Rick can you post a pic of how they are configured in your area. I cannot visualize what you described.

Comment

similar to yours, but the meter is connected to the tee at the center branch "t" and the plug is horizontal at 1 end with the house line at the opposite end.

the reason is so when they need to, they can unscrew the plug and insert a block off fitting that will go inside the tee, seal off the downstream house line and supply gas through it.

this allows for them to replace the meter or regulator and never loose gas to your home. basically they will not have to enter your home to re-lite the pilots.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Here in Manitoba the installation as shown in post #43 would have been red-tagged for not being compliant with our natural gas installation rules.

The reason for a red tag would be the installation lost the meter pivot point with the 90 ell being replaced with the tee and piping going down stream.

To do this in Manitoba the tee would have to be past the ell which would allow the meter to pivot if the ground around the meter riser settles.

I guess this would be to allow for frost action up here causing stuff to move up and down, but I think there would still want to be allowances in areas without frost for the riser / meter moving due to soil next to the foundation settling.
              Last edited by mbhydro; 07-11-2010, 09:30 AM. Reason: picture did not show up

Comment

That would apply pretty much everywhere but most local inspectors and the doofuses that set the meter have long since forgotten or ignored that little tidbit of code.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm not a plumber so anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. But anyway as per our national gas code (which I believe the state of California follows for most part) there is no mention of having to provide a meter pivot point as mentioned. The code says that meters should not be installed in locations not subject to excessive corrosion or vibration (very open to interpretation). The pivot point does sound like a good idea but what happens to pipe below the ground that may be subject to ground movement that have no pivot point. Also if the fittings and pipe are already tight so if any movement occurs the fitting possibly may crack rather than give so that does not really help also.

The correct solution would be to install the meter in such a way so that there is no reason for such a situation to occur such as the use of a flexible hose and the meter mounted on concrete or something like that.

Comment

don't worry about it, nobody else does
                    sigpic

Comment

the local gas company dictates their requirements.

out here with southern calif gas co. they only connect to 2'' and smaller house lines. so we need to provide a stub that's no larger than 2''.

the swing joints actually make it easy for them to align the meters and proper spread. they are no longer installing underground vault meters.

years ago there were brackets that were installed to maintain the spread, but those are no longer used.

it boils down to your local gas supplier as far as their requirements concerning the meter placement. we stub out at a predetermined spread for multi unit buildings. the gas company installs the gas header and all the necessary swing joints,bypass tee and meter unions.

there was even a time they installed seismic gas shut off valves on their side of the meter. they no longer allow the valves on their side and no longer install valves.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

So I had my inspection today. It went very well and the inspector was very impressed with the work overall especially with the meter hookup. It seems like many people run the line from a branch and end up undersizing the line so he said it had been done the correct way.

Big thanks once again to the people who helped out but mainly Rick and Kevin. I owe Rick dinner at least the next time you are in SD.

Comment

Man you Cali guys are only allowed unions at the appliance? Does that have to do with the earthquakes you guys get?

I would have a FIT, if I couldn't use a Union in the middle of the line somewhere, to branch off. (on existing gas piping)

Comment

i think it has more to do with vibration than an earthquake.

actually a left and right is not difficult as long as you have some play.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I thank you and I'm sure your neighbors thank you for having it inspected
                              sigpic

Comment

Thanks B.C. Looks good!

Been gone for the last week so sorry I am posting ont his now. Back to post 43. That is stucco on steel pipe with no sleeve.

I have been going 36 hours straight now so I cannot think code or even remember at this point if it is. It may just be very good practice.

Concrete/stucco has lye in it which will eat at metals. ANY gas pipe going through that type of material really needs to be sleeved. No big deal. In your case get 1' of irrigation pipe and split it down the middle. Chip the hole larger if needed and slip the sleeve over the penetrating pipes.

Looks good though!

As for disconnect boxes...These can be made from anything and any size. If you want custom to match the yard/wall? Then just build the recess where you want it. Make it from what suites. Just install your pipe with good sense, proper protection, and good anchoring. If you want to prefab look in your beautiful new back yard...then install some plastic box Personally, I have seen some pics of the yard and think you might have better taste than that.

Comment

Working...
                                X