Tapping into existing gas line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tapping into existing gas line

Concrete has lye in it . Concrete and Stucco are as far as I know are portland cement with aggregates - larger aggregates for concrete and more sand/lime for stucco. Cement has limestone in it - is that what you were referring to? It may well be corrosive but I've never seen anyone put a sleeve on pipe passing through stucco here. Also when I installed the new pipe I looked at the existing pipe and saw no evidence of corrosion.

In any event since I took the photo I sealed the hole and the areas surrounding the pipe with silicone sealant just to prevent any moisture from entering.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
      Thanks B.C. Looks good!

Been gone for the last week so sorry I am posting ont his now. Back to post 43. That is stucco on steel pipe with no sleeve.

I have been going 36 hours straight now so I cannot think code or even remember at this point if it is. It may just be very good practice.

Concrete/stucco has lye in it which will eat at metals. ANY gas pipe going through that type of material really needs to be sleeved. No big deal. In your case get 1' of irrigation pipe and split it down the middle. Chip the hole larger if needed and slip the sleeve over the penetrating pipes.

Looks good though!

As for disconnect boxes...These can be made from anything and any size. If you want custom to match the yard/wall? Then just build the recess where you want it. Make it from what suites. Just install your pipe with good sense, proper protection, and good anchoring. If you want to prefab look in your beautiful new back yard...then install some plastic box Personally, I have seen some pics of the yard and think you might have better taste than that.
      No danger, it's galvanized.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        No danger, it's galvanized.

J.C.

You are bad.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

10 mil tape is plenty for this contact. since the stucco was drilled and the pipe is not encased by the stucco, i wouldn't be worried. the caulking will keep any moisture out of the stucco just as paint does.

passing through brick and always damp is another story. but even then it will take a long long time.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
            Concrete has lye in it . Concrete and Stucco are as far as I know are portland cement with aggregates - larger aggregates for concrete and more sand/lime for stucco. Cement has limestone in it - is that what you were referring to? It may well be corrosive but I've never seen anyone put a sleeve on pipe passing through stucco here. Also when I installed the new pipe I looked at the existing pipe and saw no evidence of corrosion.

In any event since I took the photo I sealed the hole and the areas surrounding the pipe with silicone sealant just to prevent any moisture from entering.
            Sorry...lime.

I told you I am tired 29 hours of planes, trains, and automobiles to get home with 2 young kids, all due to weather

It may be a Florida or propane thing with the sleeve. It is required here by the gas company without question. No sleeve, no meter! This area also only follows IFGC so it won't take much to lookup.

If code or not...You already know lime is corrosive. Why would you put gas pipe, on your own home, to the test? I have seen it eat a hole through copper. I bet every plumber on here that has real time in the field has too. I have seen it eat through steel pipe as well. Yes!!! It takes a lot of time for this to happen. I suppose gas pipe going through a wall and piped back to the meter is meant to be there a while.

It's your home you do what you want. I know here the gas company would have not set a meter nor a LP 1st stage regulator. Florida would fail depending on the inspector for both natural gas and propane.
            Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-13-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              10 mil tape is plenty for this contact. since the stucco was drilled and the pipe is not encased by the stucco, i wouldn't be worried. the caulking will keep any moisture out of the stucco just as paint does.

passing through brick and always damp is another story. but even then it will take a long long time.

rick.
              I think we are past the point of using tape if the pipe is already installed without protection. See post 43. Unless the plan is to take it apart and put it back together.

Oh never mind...you got galvy and caulk! It's immune
              Paint, caulk, and maybe a piece of tape is all that is needed. Heck since you have galvy nothing else pertains.The ground doesn't move in California as I understand it. There is no chance of the outer surface protection removal by scrapping. Coastal states don't have salted air either. There is absolutely no concern now or later of black iron failure in a salty environment.
              Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-13-2010, 09:35 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Yes, I agree - since we are using galv pipe it should be fine Seriously - we have been told about pivoting meters and pipe eating stucco. From what I can see contact between the stucco and pipe is marginal since the holes are a little bigger than the pipe. As I said I saw no sign of damage on the existing pipe while working on the new section.

Comment

Just wanted to post up a pic of the lit firepit which concludes the gas portion of this project. The concrete will be finished with a stone veneer and a top with some marble or onyx and with down lighting.

Comment

Working...
                  X