X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping into existing gas line

Guys - Is there any easy way to tap into already installed black steel pipe in order to create a branch line for natural gas.

Re: Tapping into existing gas line

easy for me, might not be easy for you

if it's near an end of the run, then just back it all off and add the tee where needed and put it all back.

keep in mind a union is only legal at the fixture. if you cut the line and try to reconnect, then you need a left and right nipple and coupling.

is this outside or under the house, in a wall?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick - yes, I could do it near the end of a run which would make it easier. To explain what is going on - someone suggested installing a frepit in my new yard design (not sure if you remember but you helped with the storm drain questions - have not yet got around to installing that yet but I did go to Ewing irrigation supply and pickup SDR35 pipe and all the fittings and a grate drain so I owe you a big thanks for helping out on that one).

But anyway this question is in connection with connecting a run of gas pipe to the yard for a NG firepit. I could remove the connection from my tankless which is nearby, get a tee in there and do it that way. I was wondering if it would make sense to tap it in another place - say closer to the gas meter - but you cannot unscrew anything can you?? in the middle of a run. I wondered if there was a way to say cut the pipe with a reciprocating saw and then connect a tee without having to rethread the pipe. Is there anything similar to a fenco for gas or some other way of doing such a thing.

Comment

keep in mind that underground gas pipe requires factory wrapped/ coated pipe. honestly, dig the trench and let a licensed plumber install it properly for you. the trench needs 12'' of coverage for steel and 18'' for hdpe pipe. coming off the tankless will probably work if the combined btu's and total developed length is within the pipe size you have already running to the tankless. running from the meter is easier to size and is probably the best choice.

seem to have an abundance of engineers out of san diego

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I removed the 1/2" pipe and replaced with 1" when I installed the tankless so there should be enough capacity in there for a small firepit. I guess I was unclear whether it is legal to install a tee on a branch line designed to serve one fixture. I suppose I shoud consult the gas code book about the specifics - I have a copy somewhere around.

I know black iron pipe rusts very quickly so I can imagine that would not be code approved for outdoor use. How can you run from the meter - I mean how can you remove the existing pipe as it is not at the end of a run.

So who are the all these other engineers from San Diego , Oh and who is Piper. Some local politican in LA

Comment

piper's a dream

Comment

piper aka phoebe is not yet born joey and my first child

she is due end of august and joey/ mrsseatdown chose phoebe and mark recommended piper. i guess he didn't think i would run with piper

i helped an engineer a month back who lives in san diego and she was very appreciative that i drove there and took care of a sewer problem.

she actually had half the forum trying to help her, but i was geographically the closes. she also posted some great videos of the problem and did a great job of documenting the issue. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...269#post293269

i know there are others that live closer if you need a recomendation.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Congrats Rick - I recall that you were going to have a baby. So people on the forum are getting to help choose the name .

I just inspected the gas meter and noticed that the meter is connected to a tee and one port is used for the house supply and the other is capped. So it should be pretty easy to use that capped port to create a second line. It is necessary by code to keep an access point for say taking gas pressure measurements - in that case the new line can also need to lead into a tee with one end capped. What is the recommended gas pipe for the outside - is it CSST?

I will have a think about how best to do this. The initial run will need to go through the garage. I suppose I could run the pipe myself until it gets outside and then have someone lay the exterior part.

No harm in getting some quotes so please forward me your recommendations.

Comment

First questions first...what is the footage to the firepit and how many btu's.

Comment

That's still a tbd Kevin - I'm on a very extensive yard remodel that has been in progress for several months. I was talked into considering a firepit by friends - that was not in the plans initially. So I'm considering a small one. I know you can buy the burner rings for these. Not looked into the sizes but I don't plan to make a firepit more than about 4' in diameter so I'm guessing the flame will be about 20K BTU or in that sort of range.

The actual firepit will probably be concrete with a stone veneer or stone.

I was also thinking it may be nice to have an extra outlet to hookup a BBQ.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      keep in mind a union is only legal at the fixture. if you cut the line and try to reconnect, then you need a left and right nipple and coupling.

rick.
                      Rick is the union thing a local code ,,i never put a union in a place that is hard to get to but we can put them in the middle of the run to tie a line in .
                      i have never seen a left and right nipple
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

don't connect to the plugged tee at the meter. it belongs to the gas company for bypassing. you need to add a tee after the tee, not on the side of the plug. very important to know that.

a 3/4'' line should be adequate, but we need the footage and btu's and bbq btu's which can be anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 for the bbq.

get the ditch dug and help out a good local plumber who will give you some cheap lessons.

now guys, how come no one is volunteering to help out a guy

he's an engineer and also in san diego. are you single do you own a boat

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

are you single do you own a boat

More importantly, what label beer(s) do you stock in your fridge?
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

do you make a mean milk shake

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

hawk

i ain't from california, but my guess is that the nipple in you right hand is the right nipple and the nipple in your left hand is the left nipple. just a guess. just a guess. i can't find anything in my code book about unions in the middle of runs. maybe his local gas co disallows it, idk. breid...................

Comment

Working...
                              X