Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

I cut out basement PVC drains and vents. 2" ends at ceiling.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cut out basement PVC drains and vents. 2" ends at ceiling.

Basement structural wood floor. (I can get under the floor and work.)
    Roughed-in PVC 3-inch toilet pipe, 2-inch tub/shower drain, 1-1/2 -inch vanity drain and vents WERE ALL IN THE WAY
    in the middle of the basement.

I pulled all the pipes up and cut off so stubs settle below the floor.
    Covered all open pipes with caps. Not solvent-welded.

What do I do about the open vertical vent in the ceiling?
    It also vented the floor drain in front of the water heater and furnace air conditioner drain.

I assume I cannot cap that 2-inch vent in the ceiling, so I attached a plastic bag to catch any condensation, etc.
    None collected.

Must I run another vent from the floor drain up behind the furnace and
    connect to that vent? (Behind the furnace would be out of the way.)
    Thanks to you-all, I now realize I cannot use the 3-inch main which soon becomes a vertical stack as the floor drain's wet vent.

Thank you.

PlumBob
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-17-2010, 07:11 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: I cut out basement PVC drains and vents. 2" ends at ceiling.

DIRTFT

Comment

No digital camera.
      Looking up from the basement a 2-inch PVC pipe is cut off a few inches below the plywood between floor joists.

I'll probably have to pull up a basement floor 4x8' T&G plywood sheet, connect to a drain line to vent the floor drain which was probably wet-vented through the fixture drains and vents.

Later, in a corner of the basement, I hope to install a toilet, real bidet and pedestal sink I already have.

Comment

Seriously Robert; if you want to be a plumber go hire on with someone as an apprentice.

I clean drains for a living. I brush up against the plumbing trade enough to know why the liscensing and permitting process exists, and to respect it.

If I go buy some brushes and glue them to sticks, can I call myself a chimney sweep? If I'm the kind of person who would, am I the kind of person who will accept responsibility when a customer has a chimney fire? I've been asked in the past to camera chimneys. I don't, not because I don't have the camera, or because I can't drop it down the chimney, but because I won't know what I'm looking at.

I understand the urge to help someone out, or to save them a few $ and put some in my pocket in the process, but without proper experience and knowledge I may well be unknowingly making a nightmare for them, not helping them.

I think it irresponsible to do work I'm not qualified to do, and think it might be wise for you to temper your enthusiasm with a little reality check.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          Seriously Robert; if you want to be a plumber go hire on with someone as an apprentice.
          If I go buy some brushes and glue them to sticks, can I call myself a chimney sweep? If I'm the kind of person who would, am I the kind of person who will accept responsibility when a customer has a chimney fire? I've been asked in the past to camera chimneys. I don't, not because I don't have the camera, or because I can't drop it down the chimney, but because I won't know what I'm looking at.
          I think it irresponsible to do work I'm not qualified to do, and think it might be wise for you to temper your enthusiasm with a little reality check.
          Can't afford a professional to merely cut all the PVC out which is something I can do myself.
          I have a homeowner's plumbing permit from my other house. This is our brand new used house. Built in 2000.

Why the builder would put it in the middle of the basement, and not a corner, we do not understand.
          Previous owner had boxes and items stacked among the PVC pipes sticking out of the floor.
          (Now our garage sale-purchased ping-pong table sits there.)

Yes, video flues! Just look for cracks (not unexpected) and pieces of flue liner missing. (That would need to be repaired.)
          Most flues will be just fine. In all the years I have found only one which needed repair.
          I show homeowners how to clean their own chimneys. Anyone unafraid of heights and sloped roofs can do it well.
          Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-18-2010, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Well, I think you need to back up and explain what you are trying to accomplish before anyone can help... I'm not sure, but it sounds like you are either abandoning or relocating some drain lines. Explain what you are trying to accomplish, to what end, and give an overview of the layout of the building, where these lines are in it, what they served, and find a way to post some pics.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
              ... Explain what you are trying to accomplish, to what end, and give an overview of the layout of the building, where these lines are in it, what they served, and find a way to post some pics.
              Basement roughed-in bathroom lines (toilet, 2" shower, 1-1/2" lavatory) cut out and capped below the floor.

Thoughthe water heater floor drain was wet-vented through the 3" waste line which soon becomes a stack.
              But you all have corrected that it can't wet-vent if not the same floor.

Obviously it was wet-vented through the roughed in plumbing I removed.
              Fortunately, water has never been pulled out of the floor drain trap.

I should wait until I design a new bathroom with toilet, bidet, pedestal sink in corner of the basement near where the roughed in plumbing was and vent or wet-vent the floor drain as before.
              Am I making a mistake planning no bathtub or shower?
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-18-2010, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Robert I am sorry for being dense but without a pic we cant see what you see.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                  Robert I am sorry for being dense but without a pic we cant see what you see.
                  You're not dense.
                  *I'm* the one who has no digital camera.

Just holes in the wood floor where 3, 2 and 1.5 inch PVC pipes came up out of the floor and contined up becoming vent pipes which connected into a 2" vertical vent up through the basement ceiling.

Since the PVC pipes were in the way in the middle of the basement, I cut them out and now we have space for a pingpong table.
                  What's left is the vertical 2" vent pipe cut 6 inches below the basement ceiling between floor joists.

I'll have to find a way of reconnecting to that vent pipe.
                  I'm planning a bathroom in a neaby corner and will somehow connect to the 2-inch basement floor drain to provide a vent for it.
                  Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-19-2010, 07:38 AM.

Comment

sounds like there is a crawlspace as the lines you've abandoned came up out of 'holes in the wood floor'. having a look down there should make it pretty clear what needs to be done. as far as what was the vent now hanging down out of the cieling... clearly it's entirely a vent or waste fom some fixture would be poring out on your ping pong table from time to time. I'd just glue a cap on it and forget about it.

As far as future plans, again, I'd be looking in the crawlspace, as it's relatively easy to run the water to whatever location you want it, but getting the fall for the drains can be more difficult. You might need that vent you've abandoned, might not if there is another easier way.

As to putting in a shower or tub... that's really your decision; do you want one? Would future buyers want one enough that it'd be a value adder?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                      No digital camera.
                      I humbly suggest you get one. They are not expensive. Pictures will go a long way to getting you some valid suggestions here.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                        I humbly suggest you get one. They are not expensive. Pictures will go a long way to getting you some valid suggestions here.
                        What? And join the 21st Century?
                        I must wait and redo the plumbing under the basement wood floor and tie it back into the cut-off 2" vertical vent. No other practical way around it.

Comment

Working...
                        X