X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need replacement backflow valve

Evidently we need to find this exact same backflow valve or else jackhammer our basement floor to put a new one in. Can anyone suggest how I might track this down?

Thanks,
    Lee
    Attached Files

Re: Need replacement backflow valve

I would bust out the floor and put in a new valve.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by navels View Post
      Evidently we need to find this exact same backflow valve or else jackhammer our basement floor to put a new one in. Can anyone suggest how I might track this down?

Thanks,
      Lee

First thing to do is call it a backwater valve rather than a backflow valve as there is a major difference. The second thing to do is break out the floor and replace the valve rather than trying to fix it.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Howdy there, my answer is going to be a lot longer than Ron's, but with roughly the same recommendation.

It kind of Looks like a "Jumbo Mfg." brand valve to me. If it is, a replacement flapper is likely available from many plumbing supply houses in your area. Here's the link to the website of that particular brand.

http://www.jumbomfg.com/product_cast...ter_valves.htm

Jumbo valves not very reliable though.

My Brother-in-law has one installed as part of a flood control system with a pump at his house. The flapper gets hung up very easily on waste/debris.

For backwater valves only, I recommend J.R. Smith or Zurn brands. A LOT more expensive, but you have to remember that with plumbing, and especially with flood control, you get exactly what you pay for. Quality is proportional to Cost.

Some questions about your situation:

1. How old is the valve? How old is the house?

2. Was it installed while you have owned the home?

3. Has it been maintained/serviced while you have owned the home?

4. Where in the basement is it located?

5. What flows through the valve (all plumbing fixtures or only some)?

6. Is the basement finished (drywall, flooring, etc.)

7. Why was the valve installed? Were there sewer issues at this house before or problems with the city mains or both?

Answers to these questions would help in both identifying possible brands of the valve as well as making recommendations for alternatives

If you answered No to #'s 2 or 3, I would highly recommend replacing the valve.

If you answered yes to #6, you have to consider how much of a gamble you want to take on having the basement flood before you can track down parts or whether or not the valve will hold even if you can find parts.

Regardless, I agree with Ron and I would still recommend replacing the valve as yours doesn't look too reliable.

You may luck out and find parts.....maybe.

Your best bet at finding parts will be a local supply house that offers counter sales to the general public.

Bottom line, if it were my house, I'd remove that valve without question or hesitation. I have nothing to gain ($$) by making that recommendation to you.

There is a reputable forum member on here from OK screen name OkieBill. I would suggest getting in touch with him.

best luck

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          I would bust out the floor and put in a new valve.
          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          First thing to do is call it a backwater valve rather than a backflow valve as there is a major difference. The second thing to do is break out the floor and replace the valve rather than trying to fix it.

Mark

That's the more concise way to put it

Comment

Working...
          X