Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another of my dumb ideas: Gray water into back yard.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another of my dumb ideas: Gray water into back yard.

thinkin about it.... i'm sure there's some kind of EPA rule against what you're talkin about.

you might look into it before you wind up with a huge fine or something

Comment

Originally posted by radar_40 View Post
      thinkin about it.... i'm sure there's some kind of EPA rule against what you're talkin about.

you might look into it before you wind up with a huge fine or something
      Probably illegal for two reasons: sanitation concerns and water reuse.
      I would try it, anyway.
      Should be no health issue with diluted biodegradable detergent.
      We do not waste food, so our plates are already clean.
      We then brush/rinse dishes into the garbage disposer before placing them in the dishwasher. (They often appear already washed!)
      Food particles go in the sanitary sewer.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

I just read this the other day...

you might save alot of water by just letting the dishwasher do it all.

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/s...asher-1677291/

Comment

Originally posted by radar_40 View Post
          I just read this the other day...
          you might save alot of water by just letting the dishwasher do it all.
          http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/s...asher-1677291/
          We have purchased enough Corelle dishes at garage sales that we load the dishwasher over several days before it is full.
          Some foods have dried on so hard thathe dishwasher, using the weaker biodegradeable detergent, will not wash off.
          (To save gas costs, we also have turned down the water heater temperature to less than 120 F. Not sure it the dishwasher heats the water or not.)
          We use little water when pre-washing.
          Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-24-2010, 08:14 AM.
          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

For years when we had the old septic tank (only 300 gallons), the clothes washer, went out a pipe and out to the yard,
            the grass grew great where it had water, the only "dead" was right were the water emptied and pooled, where the pipe ended, and that was about a 2 x 3 foot area, It was used that way for many many years, (until the septic tank was replaced with a modern owner of proper size), the biggest issue was winter when the water would turn to ice, but my mother never used any bio or special detergents, or other, she bleached clothes, used Tide and other detergents, If it would have been on a perforated drain line and dispersed more evenly I doubt if there would have been hardly any dead areas, there was a fair amount of lint that would come out from time to time,

on many of the old farm houses, the kitchen sink would just have a drain that went out of the wall on to a flower bed, or herb garden,

and if you want grossed out, when I was a kid, my uncle would had a hand pump on the septic tank and would pump it for watering the garden (he had a windmill, and that is how the garden got most of its water), Not that I recommend that, but no one was ever sick or ill because of it,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

thats not dumb

Comment

Working...
              X