Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another of my dumb ideas: Gray water into back yard.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another of my dumb ideas: Gray water into back yard.

Does anyone make a valve which could divert gray water down the drain or into our back yard?
    Such a valve would be under the kitchen sink, one for the dishwasher, one for the clothes washer, laundry tub, illegal utility tub I installed in the garage.
    We use biodegradeable dish detergent so I could send dishwasher water into a 50 gallon tank and its overflow would go into the yard.
    The kitchen sink water when not using the garbage disposer would be fine for irrigation.

We hate to send gray water to sewage treatment.
    We are using fresh, treated potable water to water our weeds.

Thank you.

Robert
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-19-2010, 12:29 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Another of my dumb ideas: Gray water into back yard.

i'm seriously thinking of doing a similar thing with the main shower we use. laundry would be more involved and kitchen is a no no.

i was planning on diverting the shower drain to a holding tank with a sump pump connected to some rain birds that won't clog as the jet is approx. 1/4''. these would be on their own system so as not to even connect to the in ground system using potable water protected by above ground sprinkler valves with vacuum breakers.

the shower would be the biggest grey water usage in our house.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
      Does anyone make a valve which could divert gray water down the drain or into our back yard?
      Such a valve would be under the kitchen sink, one for the dishwasher, one for the clothes washer, laundry tub, illegal utility tub I installed in the garage.
      We use biodegradeable dish detergent so I could send dishwasher water into a 50 gallon tank and its overflow would go into the yard.
      The kitchen sink water when not using the garbage disposer would be fine for irrigation.

Thank you.

Robert
      with out a special permit it is illegal to reuse water in Colorado, there has been some recent law changes but saving rain water and gray water reuse has been considered illegal, for the most part, check in the law first

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06702.html
      see page 22, of the next PDF from the
      http://water.state.co.us/pubs/presen...p_04142004.pdf
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I was just reading the other day that reclaimed water systems could be used in commercial here, but not residential.

As long as you're not looking for code compliance, sounds like a system that could work.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          i'm seriously thinking of doing a similar thing with the main shower we use. laundry would be more involved and kitchen is a no no.
          i was planning on diverting the shower drain to a holding tank with a sump pump connected to some rain birds that won't clog as the jet is approx. 1/4''. these would be on their own system so as not to even connect to the in ground system using potable water protected by above ground sprinkler valves with vacuum breakers.
          the shower would be the biggest grey water usage in our house.
          rick.
          Great idea!
          Would a vacuum breaker not be good enough assurance of no backflow contamination?
          Would you gain enough water from showers to not suppliment with domestic water?

What is the problem with the laundry? Lint?
          I was just going to let the water flow out into the yard.
          But it would be nice to have a screen skim off lint.
          (I'm considering drilling a 1-inch hole in the outside wall and piping the clothes washer water under the deck to where if flows onto the lawn.)

We brush dishes at the sink before loading into the dishwasher. So dishwasher water would not be bad.

Wish I could do the shower, and bathroom sinks but no access to their lines.

Is there a VALVE which can divert water one way or another?
          Preferrably 12-volt electrically activated.
          After sweeping chimneys, first lather and rinse should go to the sanitary sewer.
          Then I would change valve to divert the rest to the lawn.

Yes, Colorado does not even allow rain gutter water to be retained.
          Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-19-2010, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Some interesting stuff.

http://www.greywater.com/

To do it the way they suggest would involve a considerable investment in both time and $$.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Sanitation has come a long way in 100+ years, and Ed Begley and his band of wackos wants to set us back to the dark ages, all in the name of green.

The California Plumbing Code now allows grey water, and has very specific requirements. There is good reason that kitchen water cannot go to the gray side. And you cannot just "overflow" gray water out to the back yard. It must be filtered and distributed underground, NOT on the surface.

If you want to go ahead with a slap jack system, fine. Let YOUR kids roll around in the e-coli.

Yes, the valve you want is available through an industrial supply, try usabluebook.com for example. But to install it would be ILLEGAL. Please get your local code book , and consult your local inspectors, for guidance in this.

Comment

Three Way Diverter Valves
                http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/divertervalves.htm

and I am sure there available from other suppliers,

some other items of interest,
                http://www.water.ca.gov/wateruseeffi...guide_book.pdf
                http://www.water.ca.gov/wateruseeffi..._Standards.pdf

http://frontierassoc.net/greenafford...er%20final.pdf

http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/index.htm
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Great idea!
                  Would a vacuum breaker not be good enough assurance of no backflow contamination?

no, you'd need two separate systems for something like that.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

[QUOTE=Robert Gift;301101]Does anyone make a valve which could divert gray water down the drain or into our back yard?

Thank you.

We have been useing grey water from our showers, clothes washing machines and baths for years now either pumping it onto our gardens through grey water systems or by gravity feed.
                    Here are some photos of 50mm (2") pvc divertors that can be cut into 50mm pvc waste pipes..
                    Attached Files

Comment

None of this grey water stuff is new. I think when you reallize you are not breaking new ground it all becomes easier to do ...........again

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                        None of this grey water stuff is new. I think when you reallize you are not breaking new ground it all becomes easier to do ...........again
                        I'm always breakinground and wind.

I don't want to go to all the trouble and expense.
                        Would like to simply route the dishwasher line into the 50 gallon barrel to cool the water and dilute the detergent before it goes onto the backyard lawn.
                        Same with clothes washer.
                        The drain line diverter valves are too expensive and inconvenient to operate.
                        Would be nice if they could be switched using an electric switch. (I'd make it so anytime the garbage disposer was operated, it would direct the waste water into the sanitary sewer.)

Comment

I'm always breakinground and wind.

I don't want to go to all the trouble and expense.
                          Would like to simply route the dishwasher line into the 50 gallon barrel to cool the water and dilute the detergent before it goes onto the backyard lawn.
                          Same with clothes washer.
                          The drain line diverter valves are too expensive and inconvenient to operate.
                          Would be nice if they could be switched using an electric switch. (I'd make it so anytime the garbage disposer was operated, it would direct the waste water into the sanitary sewer.)
                          I have woundered how much detergent a lawn or garden or for that matter a drain field could handle or if it ever becomes inert? I tell you what I'm considering building a solar close dryer. 2 poles with a string streched between then I'll hang the close on it. I wounder how many kids have never seen that?

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                            I have woundered how much detergent a lawn or garden or for that matter a drain field could handle or if it ever becomes inert? I tell you what I'm considering building a solar close dryer. 2 poles with a string streched between then I'll hang the close on it. I wounder how many kids have never seen that?
                            Hopefully the many rinse cycles will sufficiently dilute the biodegradeable detergent in the 50-gallon barrel.

I tried to install a solar clothes dryer but the HOA will not allow it.
                            We hang our wash in the garage which luckily has two openable windows.
                            We use plastic clothes hangers hung on 3/4 inch plastic pipes, not clothes pins. It is quicker and easier than clothes pins!
                            My wife bought some stupid Chinese folding contraption with many clothes pins hanging down. You just squeeze the clothespin open and it holds the sock or towel or washcloth, etc. Much faster than trying to clothespin pieces to a clothesline.
                            Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-22-2010, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I forgot about biodegradeable detergent. that helps

Comment

Working...
                              X