X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To The Shop Or Not...That Is The Question

Sitting at home last night and the dog starts flipping out. My neighbor is at the gate and asks if I can look at his water heater. So I did and yep it's leaking from the tank. I told him if he wanted I could change it out in the morning.

What would you do? Would you run it like a normal job through the shop on a Saturday or would you do it on the side and have some extra fun money? Just curious.

Re: To The Shop Or Not...That Is The Question

I would be a good neighbor and just fix it for him(charge accordingly)
    If it was a big job then yes I would go through the shop.
    I'm always having our customer's wanting me to do stuff on the side.My boss would rather not be bothered with the small stuff anyway.
    I suppose plumbing and Electrical work is different.Some days are just a lot of small jobs in those trades.
    Last edited by IamVince; 06-19-2010, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I should have said this is a very simple change out. 50 gallon electric with labor of 1 hour start to finish.

Comment

That must be simple
        Friends and neighbors always think they deserve a break

Comment

if the water heater you install were to spring a leak, or burst a supply while he's at work one day. who is he going after for damages? It's obviously not a likely scenario, but there's a reason your employer pays so much in insurance.

questions like that are why I only do side work for my immediate family. payment is in dinner.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

is the neighbor a customer of the company?

if so, then you're basically stealing from the company you work for.

if not, then as long as you supply your own material, and not truck stock. i see nothing wrong with helping out the neighbor.

as far as liability goes. the company has no liability for work you do on the side. so make sure you have a written understanding that you're assisting the neighbor and the liability lies on them.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

The neighbor is not an existing customer and I will NOT be using any truck stock. All of the tools I use are mine not company's. I would not even be using the company truck as my personal van is more than adequate. I am with Rick here. I just wondered what others do?
              Last edited by Kevin Jones; 06-19-2010, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I get calls all the time from people I know. I invoice it out through the company, this way if something does go wrong (burned down the house) our insurance will cover it. Also I would be using a company truck and tools. Granted I could supply parts myself, but not all the tools I am using.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Go on take the money and run wooo hooo hooo
                  sigpic

Comment

Job went as easy as expected. You all come on by...drinks on me. I even added the expansion tank as required and still done in an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                      Job went as easy as expected. You all come on by...drinks on me. I even added the expansion tank as required and still done in an hour.
                      It takes me an hour just to drain a 50 gal., and roll it out of the way.

I know an HVAC tech who boasts on how fast he can do compressor change outs. I've seen his work

James

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post

I know an HVAC tech who boasts on how fast he can do compressor change outs. I've seen his work

James
                        Here's how I do it.

First of all I have seen the job, so I have already done it in my head. Walk in with a hose and a tape measure. Hook the hose and start draining immediately. While that is happening move other obstacles...in this case I had to slide out and over a washing machine. Now mreasure your maximum good height of copper off the water heater. Go to the truck unpackage and completely prep the entire water heater to slide into place and match what you have. By the time that is done the water heater should be drained. One note on draining a water heater...Hook the hose, open the drain valve, and turn the water back on to flush sludge first. If it doesn't work then you have to pump it out. During the prep I already cut the copper on the old water heater as long as possible. Now walk back in with the new water heater ready to go and set it aside. Grab the old one and out to the truck. I already have a T, 90, and ftg fip ready. slide the new tank in place and mark your coppers for the joints. Make a couple quick cuts, REAM THE COPPER, prep and set. 6 sweat joints being sure to wipe each joint. Oh yeah...my work quality? My Avatar is my work...check it out. Then while the copper is cooling wire the unit. Attach the expansion tank, turn on water, purge of air, leak check, throw breaker. One hour install and I will put the quality up against anybody. I installed a Bradford 5o gal elect, with new expansion tank they never had one.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post

James
                          I use CO2 to blast out the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            I use CO2 to blast out the tank.
                            Causes Global warming

I have two Nitrogen cylinders, never thought about using compressed inert gas before.

Comment

That's why it was so hot Friday. Drtyhands must have been changing out a water heater. You can also make an adapter and hook a regular air compressor to the water heater to speed things up.

Comment

Working...
                              X