X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting a new toilet question about thick wax ring

The top of my closet flange for my toilet is exactly 1/2" below my finished new tile floor. Will it be ok to just use an extra thick wax ring to seal the toilet to the flange or is the 1/2" gap too large for that. The big box stores sell a wax ring that is said to be 40% larger than a standard ring. Will this be sufficient?

Another option is to use a double wax ring but that will only be a last resort. Could anyone explain the exact procedure for setting a toilet with a double wax ring as well? Do you place both the rings on the closet flange and then set the toilet?? How do you prepare the rings before setting the toilet? I am clueless here. I am trying to avoid using a flange extender because unless prepared exactly right they have a tendency to leak I am told.

Re: Setting a new toilet question about thick wax ring

you've been told right

the correct location for a closet flange is the lip of the flange to be sitting on top of the finished floor. since yours is sitting 1/2'' below flush plus the 1/4'' flange on top of the floor, you're 3/4'' low.

i would either raise the flange if it's possible without a big chore or i would double up the wax as a single thick wax will not be thick enough to properly crush the wax between the toilet and flange.

i would use a wax ring with plastic horn on top of a regular ring to basically funnel the 2 rings together. make sure you use a full size 4'' ring and not a 4''x 3'' ring unless the flange is truly a 3'' ring.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Ok so an extra thick wax ring won't do the trick such as the Harvey's No Seep #10 or their Reinforced Wax Extender Ring? I don't know what the purpose of these extra thick rings are if not to fill a gap.

Is there any special preparation to mold the 2 rings together if I use 2 regular rings or do I just stack the funnel ring on top of the regular ring over the closet flange and set the toilet on that?

Comment

Originally posted by hy_tek View Post
        Ok so an extra thick wax ring won't do the trick such as the Harvey's No Seep #10 or their Reinforced Wax Extender Ring? I don't know what the purpose of these extra thick rings are if not to fill a gap.

the problem is the flange is approx 3/4'' low and the thicker wax will not make up the distance. if you try it, the toilet needs to crush the wax between the flange and the base of the toilet. if it doesn't it will leak when you get a stoppage.

Is there any special preparation to mold the 2 rings together if I use 2 regular rings or do I just stack the funnel ring on top of the regular ring over the closet flange and set the toilet on that?
        i stack the plastic horn on top of the regular ring. this will cause the 2 rings to stay perfectly aligned. as long as the wax is at room temperature above 70 they will mend nicely. make sure they're the same brand as some waxes are different.

you will notice that the toilet will sit slightly high until you apply some pressure to squeeze it down. if it sits flat on the floor before you put any weight on it, then it's probably not enough wax. the rings should crush and stick to the flange and bowl.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I use plumbers putty.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I contacted Harvey's Technical Support and they told me their #35B Reinforced Wax Extender Kit is made to fill gaps from 1/4" to 1" below finished floor. Any thoughts on the reliability of this product?

I contacted a local plumbing outfit and the guy wanted $189 to install a 1/2" flange extension ring. I suppose it would be worth the money if he could guarantee it wouldn't leak.

Comment

For a little more you might be able to get the flange replaced and properly
              set. Worst case scenario would be chipping out a concrete floor.
              When you are trying to compensate for an improperly installed flange,
              nothing is guaranteed. The method Rick described is the one I use and
              the best way. You may need longer closet bolts, also.
              Last edited by Big Jim; 06-21-2010, 01:33 PM.

Comment

ditto rick and big jim. breid.....................

Comment

Working...
                X