Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moen mixing valve for shower threaded valve

Hi,

I attempted to install a mixing valve for a shower today and failed miserably. Everything leaks. It has threaded female connectors, which I screwed male compression fittings into. I didn't use Teflon tape - should I have? Also I tightened these as hard as I could - really hard. Any advice on how I can remedy this?

On the compression side, after overtightening the first one, I took the parts from another fitting and got it tight without what I though was over overtightening. How tight should these be?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Re: Moen mixing valve for shower threaded valve

Originally posted by dagill View Post
    Hi,

I attempted to install a mixing valve for a shower today and failed miserably. Everything leaks. It has threaded female connectors, which I screwed male compression fittings into. I didn't use Teflon tape - should I have? Also I tightened these as hard as I could - really hard. Any advice on how I can remedy this?

On the compression side, after overtightening the first one, I took the parts from another fitting and got it tight without what I though was over overtightening. How tight should these be?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
    You need a pro. That is your lesson for today.

Comment

That was helpful. Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Dave

I'm not sure where you live but I doubt compression is legal in the wall. As for the IPS fittings, they need some type of sealant.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I'm not sure where you live but I doubt compression is legal in the wall. As for the IPS fittings, they need some type of sealant.

Mark
          Thanks! Will teflon tape disintegrate when I sweat the pipe to the fitting?

Comment

Thanks! Will teflon tape disintegrate when I sweat the pipe to the fitting?
            Yes you need to keep the heat off of the IPS connections. You may want to solder short piece on to the MIP adapters before you screw them in.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
            X