Joint Compound or Tape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joint Compound or Tape

Tape or dope, dope or tape. Use that which is approved. Neither one are supposed to seal the threads, only lubricate the joint so that tightening does not gall the threads and cause a leak. With sharp, properly adjusted dies and good threading technique no tape or dope should be required. However, this ain't a perfect world and therefore tape and dopes contain fillers which will make up for bad field conditions. Tape must be approved for gas. It will say so right on the roll and it's usually blue or yellowish in color.
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, when using tape I've used the yellow tape (gas).

I did a quick test with the TIF and the dope (Rectorseal T+2). It does react to the dope in large quantities. For example it shows a detection if you stick the probe inside the can. But very little reaction when sniffing the applicator coated with dope. So for this dope the effect of the total amount of dope on the threads should not cause the sniffer to go off. I think in that regard Kevin's advice is good - you can use the sniffer to check there is no gas and reaction to dope - if there is an indication then a further test is probably in order just to make sure it's not the dope that's causing the alarm.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
        Yes, when using tape I've used the yellow tape (gas).

I did a quick test with the TIF and the dope (Rectorseal T+2). It does react to the dope in large quantities. For example it shows a detection if you stick the probe inside the can. But very little reaction when sniffing the applicator coated with dope. So for this dope the effect of the total amount of dope on the threads should not cause the sniffer to go off. I think in that regard Kevin's advice is good - you can use the sniffer to check there is no gas and reaction to dope - if there is an indication then a further test is probably in order just to make sure it's not the dope that's causing the alarm.
        Considering the cost of the darn thing I probably should trust my sniffer but for some reason I always go back to the old soap bubbles.
        sigpic

Comment

I have used teflon tape followed by teflon paste for many years and and very rarely have any leaks. On 2-1/2" and larger steel pipe threads I prefer teflon tape followed by keytite.

Comment

You hafta be careful with teflon paste because you can over tighten the joint and crack the fitting.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              You hafta be careful with teflon paste because you can over tighten the joint and crack the fitting.
              Yes, I agree, especially on brass fittings.

Comment

Working...
              X