Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I replace 3/4-inch pressuregulator parts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I replace 3/4-inch pressuregulator parts?

Our sprinkler heads would not return due to low water pressure.
    (I adjusted the spring on each and now they work fine.)

Later the water utility guy happened to be driving down the street. I asked if he couldo a pressure check.

50 psi. No matter how far I turned the pressure adjustment screw, it would not rise or fall. (After an adjustment I ran water before the next reading.)

Rather than unsoldering and removing the 10-year-old regulator, can I just open it and replace anything?

Thank you,

PlumBob
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-27-2010, 06:26 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Can I replace 3/4-inch pressuregulator parts?

Depending on the model and brand, yes.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Did you check the pressure before and after the PRV? if your incomming pressure is higher then what you can get comming out, the PRV is probably bad, if the pressure is the same in and out thats all you're going to get, PRV is ok.

Comment

Watts N35B Model U Size 3/4
        serial number 9930C Set 50psi Range 25-75

Could check pressure only AFTER the pressuregulator - at the garden hose bib only 6 pipe feet away.

Four big flat-head screws holding the hub on.
        I'd like to take it apart to see if I can see anything wrong or sediment build-up, etc.

Comment

I have that exact same regulator in my home. There is a inlet filter which you can remove and see if there is any debris. A big nut on the side of the regulator that screws out and you should see a screen inside.

Mine went faulty a few years ago (was only getting about 20 psi once the shower was on but it rose to line pressure - about 90 psi - when everything was turned off).

I had a go at opening it up and fixing it - getting it apart was a big pain - holding it down while unscrewing the bolts was hard as I recall. I gave up and bought a new one. Mine is with a double union so it was a case of unscrewing the old one and replacing. However, I don't think they make this model anymore so if mine fails I will probably need to de-solder the unions when installing a new one - the dimenions are usually not compatible.

That said 50 PSI sounds like a reasonable pressure. Mine is set to 50psi. So I'm not sure that could be the reason.

Comment

Don't recall seeing that nut but I'll look for it. Thank you.
            Th.isoldered in, so I will not be able to put it in the vice to hold it secure.

Maybe I should just leave it alone.
            We have never had any diminished flow of which I am aware.

Nextime thathe water guy comes by, I'll ask for another pressure check.
            Maybe main is 50 psi. Or is thatoo low for main pressure?
            Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-27-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

The nut should be on the opposite side of the bell shaped assembly. It is a big nut - I think I used a 1" socket to remove it.

I would suggest getting a pressure check with and without some water flowing out of a fixture. It is possible it has failed and shows a good static pressure but maybe under load it may be dropping below a reasonable value. But if you get 50PSI maybe the problem is somewhere in the irrigation system.

Do you have an access point for checking the pressure/flow on the irrigation system?

Regarding the inlet pressure to the house if that's what you are calling main pressure - yes 50 psi is probably too low - if it is that value. For the regulator to work the inlet pressure probably should be somewhat higher.
              Last edited by blue_can; 06-27-2010, 09:50 PM.

Comment

How old is the unit? Is it worth it? If it is suspect...replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                  The nut should be on the opposite side of the bell shaped assembly. It is a big nut - I think I used a 1" socket to remove it.

I would suggest getting a pressure check with and without some water flowing out of a fixture. It is possible it has failed and shows a good static pressure but maybe under load it may be dropping below a reasonable value. But if you get 50PSI maybe the problem is somewhere in the irrigation system.

Do you have an access point for checking the pressure/flow on the irrigation system?
                  The sprinkler system branches from the house 3/4-inch a foot after the pressuregulator. Then 5 pipe feet from there is a garden hose bibb. So I just use the garden hose bibb as a pressure tap.

I'll try to do a check with water flowing.
                  Thank you.
                  Last edited by Robert Gift; 06-27-2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                    How old is the unit? Is it worth it? If it is suspect...replace it.
                    House was built in 2000.

To save money, I'll try to fix it.
                    After that doesn't work, I'll spend that same money after failing to have fixed it.

Comment

Just something to bear in mind is that if you somehow manage to half open the regulator and then get stuck due to a jammed screw or opening it up and are unable to repair it you will be stuck without water until you get a new one. In my case I bought a new one installed it and then tried to repair the old one to keep as a spare. For me the hassle of possibly being stuck without water was not worth it.

Comment

In my experience, rebuilding the smaller prv's is a waste of time. With the labor involved trying to get them apart, and then rebuilding them; and have the results be that they still don't work half the time or they don't last. I can get 3/4 inch Zurn Wilkins for under $100 around here and they work fine for another 5 or so years.

Comment

actually the 3/4'' regulators were costing me under $30.00 until the no lead went into affect. i might use a 3/4'' regulator once a year. 1'' is my main size around here.

unless there is no way to get the whole unit out, you can rob the inner parts and swap everything out. problem is you'll never get out the seat. unless this one is a drop in cartridge style.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

according to the watts web site. that regulator is no longer made. it'd been replaced by more current designs and most likely due to california's lead free requirements.

http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...d=64&parCat=84

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Why can'these last longer than 5 years?

Is there a union for 3/4 inch copper water pipe?
                              My solder is all lead/tin.

Comment

Working...
                              X