Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Damaged threads on pipe

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    It is addressing a problem 500-miles to the North of you.

Mark
    Originally posted by blue_can View Post
    The City of Elk Grove (Kevin's link) is 500-miles to the North of you and has very corrosive soil due in part to the proximity to the Sacramento Delta. You should not need a sacrificial anode in San Diego.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This is a pic of unprotected pipe I just pulled out yesterday.
      Attached Files

Comment

We are not allowed to bury steel pipe here, coated, taped or otherwise. Furthermore, I would not trust any coating or tape because you never know what the future holds. All it takes is one small very sharp rock rubbing against the pipe over time and you have a leak.
        sigpic

Comment

Here is what I did to repair what was found. I suppose the original installers thought galvy buried deep enough and unprtected would be just fine. After all it was 8' down...nobody is ever going to see it.

I understand this is a gas pipe thread and I am showing a water pipe in these pics. What I am showing here is what a good pipe wrap looks like. The area unwrapped was incased in a SDR pipe riserand sealed on the bottom. The stainless pegs are for future failure of the valve so that the pvc never takes the brawn put against the valve. I also felt brass was a much better choice than galvy in this case. I give the first guy thumbs up for enough sense to band a PVC FIP joint. My question is if you are going to be that lazy why not just MIP it and be done? The original U/G valve was a standard ball valve with the handle cut off, not even a curb stop.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Kevin Jones; 07-02-2010, 04:57 PM. Reason: additional note

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
            I give the first guy thumbs up for enough sense to band a PVC FIP joint. My question is if you are going to be that lazy why not just MIP it and be done?

I don't understand your idea of the guy being "that lazy". I do understand why he didn't use a male adapter on it though. It's not the manufacturers recommended transition from metal to plastic.

http://www.spearsmfg.com/how_to/FG-3B-0105_0706_English.pdf

Mick

Comment

Yes, I was not planning to wrap the fittings until the system has been tested. My plan was to complete the pipe run and then conduct the 10psi pressure test. Once that passes I will do the gas hookup and then connect the manometer to the other end, measure the pressure, shut off the branch valve and see how long it will hold pressure. Also check for leaks at the same time. Once this is done and passes I will wrap the fittings. Not sure if there is a specified time for test 2 - I just ordered the 2009 gas code and handbook - I will check in there.

I was planning to line the trench with plastic sheet to avoid contaminating the pipes.

I will defnitiely post pics. I already have many pics of the yard remodel which as so far included plumbing for the irrigation, electrics, concrete, stone, plants and landscaping, drains etc. I suppose I should post pics of the drains on the drain thread.
              Just wanted to post regarding the manometer test in case anyone was wondering - Annex D of the 2009 gas code handbook specifies such a test - Section D3). If the manometer holds static pressure for 3 mins after the gas is shutoff to the system it is sufficient to consider the system leak free.

Comment

Just wanted to post regarding the manometer test in case anyone was wondering - Annex D of the 2009 gas code handbook specifies such a test - Section D3). If the manometer holds static pressure for 3 mins after the gas is shutoff to the system it is sufficient to consider the system leak free.
                Indian River County, Florida had to hold 9"W.C. for 24 hours. Now that is leak free.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                  Indian River County, Florida had to hold 9"W.C. for 24 hours. Now that is leak free.
                  LOL true - the longer the better - I guess 48 hours is better than 24 hours etc. So this Indian River County in FL actually specifies the static gas pressure value as an actual value (9" WC)?

Comment

Actually there is a test mentioned in Annex D involving 9" WC - but that is for propane as a I read it - not NG. Again the test time is 3 mins - not 24 hours.

Actually I thought of an issue with a 24 hour test which is also confirmed by reading the gas code - if the temp falls during the night, the air in the pipe will cool and contract leading to a lower pressure reading which could be mistaken for a leak where in reality there is none.

Anyone seen that?

Comment

yes i have especially when you fill a line during a hot day and have a large system that's exposed to the elements.

i've had 24 hour tests for large systems.

it really boils down to the administrative authority/ inspector.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X