X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joining unthreaded pipe

I need to put a fitting on an unthreaded stub of 3/4" brass nipple (not copper pipe), I do not wish to thread the end of the brass nipple because if the pipe is even slightly rotated, the seal will be broken between the pipe and concrete fountain base and water will leak out of the fountain. This pipe and fitting need to withstand household water pressure.

Soldered and sharkbite fittings I have seen all fit copper tube pipe, not the larger brass thick walled nipples. Do you have any suggestions?

Re: joining unthreaded pipe

a brass "G" coupling will work. it's basically a compression fitting with rubber donuts that will compress onto the ends of the pipe. they make a short 3'' and a longer 6'' model. use the 6'' one and make sure to properly restrain the ends of the pipe to prevent them from pulling out.

also make sure you connect a jumper/ bonding wire across the 2 ends to keep your ground continual.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Dresser makes what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        a brass "G" coupling will work. it's basically a compression fitting with rubber donuts that will compress onto the ends of the pipe. they make a short 3'' and a longer 6'' model. use the 6'' one and make sure to properly restrain the ends of the pipe to prevent them from pulling out.

also make sure you connect a jumper/ bonding wire across the 2 ends to keep your ground continual.

rick.
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

You could alwas thread it and use a LR nipple.

Comment

Originally posted by REXHOUND View Post
            You could alwas thread it and use a LR nipple.
            He doesn't want to thread it, because all he has to work with is a short stub coming up inside a fountain of some sort. The pipe is epoxied into the fountain and will leak if disturbed. A couple of other forums have suggested Dresser couplings.

Comment

Working...
            X