Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grounding after system-wide repairs

Howdy-
    I've been lurking about for a while but I'm thinking this is my first Plumbin' Post.

I've been repairing a bungalow that suffered major freeze damage. Had I known I'd have just redone all the plumbing in PEX but 20/20 hindsight doesn't get it done. A real plumber would have known at the outset.

Now, the plumbing is a patchwork of copper and PEX after the pump. Heck, it's a patchwork of copper and PEX AT the pump. (new pump+tank)
    Of course the pump wiring (motor) is grounded via the house wiring but I've been blown off my feet (in years prior) by an ungrounded system (the water company's bill collection system for the prior tenants), I'd like to avoid that again.

At any rate, I don't want to dig more trenches to reach the copper connections I have left but if I need to I will. (dirt crawlspace)

That's why I'm asking- Do I need to ground every single copper segment?

As a note- I don't think that in disassembly/removal I ran across a prior ground but my memory isn't all that great today so there's that . . .

I've searched the archive of posts and didn't see a prior thread that really fit this but, in case I missed it I apologize in advance.
    Thanks for any insight you could give on this.
    Mark

Re: grounding after system-wide repairs

mark, good post

traditionally plumbing was either gal pipe or copper and electrical was also rounded to the cold water side.

but now with plastic, pe and cpvc, there is no grounding to the water lines. the electricians drive a ground rod and bond to that at the electrical service.

problem is your system was also using the water as a ground.

you need to have a ground rod installed if it's not already there. you also need to locate all the telephone, cable grounds and reroute them to a proper ground as your water system is no longer properly grounded.

this falls more onto the electricians as us plumbers are not the ones to do the grounding, but the ones that originally installed the pipes that others grounded too.

i would call your cable and phone company for an inspection of their equipment. also have an electrician check for proper grounding of their service.

very good thread that has not been discussed as far as i know.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Look for a ground rod driven outside near the meter box. There should be 2 of them no more than 10' apart and both connected to the meter box and the main panel.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marcintosh View Post
        howdy-
        i've been lurking about for a while but i'm thinking this is my first plumbin' post.

I've been repairing a bungalow that suffered major freeze damage. Had i known i'd have just redone all the plumbing in pex but 20/20 hindsight doesn't get it done. A real plumber would have known at the outset.

Now, the plumbing is a patchwork of copper and pex after the pump. Heck, it's a patchwork of copper and pex at the pump. (new pump+tank)
        of course the pump wiring (motor) is grounded via the house wiring but i've been blown off my feet (in years prior) by an ungrounded system (the water company's bill collection system for the prior tenants), i'd like to avoid that again.

At any rate, i don't want to dig more trenches to reach the copper connections i have left but if i need to i will. (dirt crawlspace)

that's why i'm asking- do i need to ground every single copper segment?

As a note- i don't think that in disassemble/removal i ran across a prior ground but my memory isn't all that great today so there's that . . .

I've searched the archive of posts and didn't see a prior thread that really fit this but, in case i missed it i apologize in advance.
        Thanks for any insight you could give on this.
        Mark
        i think this is one a lot of professional plumbers " miss"

when doing partial or complete repipes of house water

systems or the main service,

to replace ground or confirm a licensed electrician has done so
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Look for a ground rod driven outside near the meter box. There should be 2 of them no more than 10' apart and both connected to the meter box and the main panel.
          Found it. Not two just one, with elec/cable/POTS with no evidence of route to main box, clamped to an old steel pipe driven into the ground.

Install was evidently done by owner/builder in the late '40's Real shabby looking by now. Deserves replacement not repair.

Thanks for the help one and all.

Comment

Working...
          X