Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do liquidrain cleaners work?

Do they work well?
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: How do liquidrain cleaners work?

What you do is take the cap off, don't bother with the directions, they're for wimps. Pour some down the drain and wait two seconds. Nothing's happening so pour some more down and wait another two seconds. Still nothing so empty the whole can down there. NOW something's happening. You can tell by the bubbles and smoke that's burning your eyes. Another 1/2 a minute or so and woosh, down goes the drain. Another 3 seconds and the wife is yelling that there is water pouring through the dining room ceiling. That would be the big hole the acid burned through that old galvanized drain.

Call plumber, pay the bill
    sigpic

Comment

By first making the plumber very, very sick !

Then destroying his sewer cables

other then that they don't work on drain

stoppages
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

If you pour it down the kitchen sink and have a garbage disposal, the disposal may well be toast afterwards. If you pour it down a toilet or urinal, it may crack from the heat generated. If you get the really strong stuff, you may wreck the finish of the fixture. If you breath the fumes deeply, you may find yourself on the floor gasping. Or, if you are lucky, it may clear a small hole and run down the drain leaving a fixture sort of working, for a while. Skip the chemicals.
        Last edited by asktom; 06-30-2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

They are mostly either strong acids or strong bases, and work by eating/melting/desolving through the clog,

the problem is most of the time the liquid cleaner never makes it to the clog in strong enough concentrations to eat at the clog,
          bases turn the grease to soap and acids eats the hair and other, but as soon as it partly opens up the cleaner is moved on down the pipe leaving most of the time the majority of the clog behind, and the pipes are not scoured or worked clean,

they can work if they get to the clog, but they seldom do a complete job in the process,

they are dangerous to the user and not the best for the plumbing or the plumber or drain cleaner equipment that is called in to complete the job,

my wifes grand father lost an eye to Lye being used as a drain cleaner, when he plunged it and it splashed back up in his face.

and some times mixing two different types can cause serious issues as well, they may react with each other producing toxic gases and even possible serious chemical reactions could take place, (explosion type reactions).

If you still choose to use, wear goggles and proper rubber gloves and have access to running water to rinse any spillage off of one instantly, some acids and bases in stronger strengths can scar and burn in just seconds,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are enzymes that have been promoted and there idea is that if you add on a regular basis the enzyme will work on the grease and the other that is adhering to the drain pipe and convert it into some thing that is water soluble, and can be carried easily down the pipe by regular water flows,

If there to be effective they need to be use at night when they have a chance to set in the pipe and do there work but then again many times the problems are not where they can get to, I thing in some instances they may help maintain a drain that is in poorer condition, but there not a replacement for proper clearing methods or replacement of line when needed.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

once again bhd with the real answers

save some money and pour bleach into the lines prior to a complete stoppage. the bleach is a base and the main ingredient to most non acid cleaners. just be careful not to splash onto clothes or carpets.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I had a lady use "Specially Formulated For Grease" product of some brand.
              She had just poured hot grease down the drain and immediately chased it with cold water. The blockage was there in the trap. So the whole bottle of cleaner that she put in didn't have far to go and it didn't work. It did do a nice job of tarnishing/destroying the sink that had to be replaced now.

On drain lines that needed to be cabled, the customer would be charged for the cabling and also for the entire cost of a new cable including the labor to change it.

Comment

They work just Bad enough to screw up your stainless steal sink
                If only that dirty black would come in to style

Comment

As I tell all my customers that ask me this question.

They work.... on TV
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

After you are done making a mess with liquid drain cleaner then you can move on to the Kinetic Water ram. A tool pretty much guaranteed to spray crap from one end of the kitchen to the other.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      After you are done making a mess with liquid drain cleaner then you can move on to the Kinetic Water ram. A tool pretty much guaranteed to spray crap from one end of the kitchen to the other.
                      oh come on.. I use a kinetic water ram all the time. Just used one on a job where the k/s and lav backed up into the tub. Every time I tried to rod the rod went towards the tub. So I filled both sinks let them go, as I held a rag in the overflow and snapped the trigger on the water ram. Water went down in a nice rush. Then I rerodded the line since I cleared the blockage at the tee that was making the rod go the wrong way in the first place.

Comment

So you havn't had it blow the tubular waste off the kitchen sink yet?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          So you havn't had it blow the tubular waste off the kitchen sink yet?
                          Nope, Been using it for 20+ years. My brother once on one hand blew the cover off the drum trap on a bath tub... needless to say it was a mess. There is always a place and time for certain tools.

Comment

Boy,just dont do it...just dont. It ant good for the pipes or the plumber that comes to fix that pipe when the magic cleaner dont work.

Comment

Originally posted by REXHOUND View Post
                              Boy,just dont do it...just dont. It ant good for the pipes or the plumber that comes to fix that pipe when the magic cleaner dont work.
                              No intentions of ever using the stuff. I have a closet auger and a 25' snake. Rent a powered snake when necessary.

Just curious if the products heated the water at the clog.
                              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
                              X