X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ratz

tell us like it is!!! breid..................

Comment

Re: HELP! water leak through ceiling - gushing

I removed the handheld wall elbow, and everything looked dry there, and no leaking when turned on.

I cut a hole into the ceiling where it leaked the most, the drywall is pretty dry already, and the struct is try too. Could not see anything as it was not directly under the drain hole, and structs are blocking the view.

so I went back to basics, and did more testing. 3 buckets into drain hole directly, no leak.

Plugged the drain hole, and filled the shower base (tiles) with water very quickly almost to the step (so about 2 inches of standing water).

about one minute into it, water started dripping from ceiling, then it turned into a shower!

My guess is, the caulk between the base tiles and the sitting tiles (facing the shower heads etc, there is an area for sitting down, covered with tiles too), probably also along the shower head wall. The caulk must have failed.
      also, there are gaps directly under the sitting tiles that are not caulked or grouted.

yes, we just moved in - not a new construction, so no warranty.

thinking back, it happened when kids taken shower (more like playing there), they probably blocked the drain hole, and also the spray heads were directly spraying on the sitting tiles, so some went into the gap directly, and a lot water probably just flowed down into gap, and onto the joint where the caulk failed. When I took the shower, it was quick and no standing water and water just sprayed onto me.

so, I will remove and re-caulk everything first. Then do another standing water test to see how it goes. and I will report back again in a couple days.

Should have followed the suggestions before cutting holes.. but hey, the hole makes the drywall dry faster I guess

thank you guys again!

Comment

New shower pan.

J.C.

Comment

INSTEAD OF CAULKING YOU NEED TO GET A PROFESSIONAL TILE MAN IN TO CLEAN, REGROUT, AND APPLY SEALER COAT TO WHOLE TILE SHOWER TO GET IT FIXED PROPERLY

THEN NO MORE HEADACHES OR EXTRA DRYWALL REPAIRS

JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

The shower pan should be water tight from the drain all the way to 6"+ up the walls.

You should be able to fill the bottom of that shower with 4"+ of water with zero leaks. That's how we test them at rough in before tile. If it leaks with water in the floor, odds are the shower pan has to be replaced.

Sometimes it's at the drain to pan connection. But if you're going to get to that then you're just as well to remove the tile and replace the shower pan.

The caulk picture you posted should have ZERO bearing on the waterproof integrity of the shower at that point. That looks like the bottom joint from the wall to the floor. The shower pan should be rolled up the wall behind it.

So if there was no grout or caulk at ALL in there, it should still hold water.

P.S. That caulk is a mess. But a nice "car-wash" shower"!

J.C.

Comment

J.C.,
              How do I verify if I even have a shower pan?
              I had enough plumbing problems, it does not surprise me if there was no shower pan to begin with.
              I looked into the drain hole, it does not seem to have any other holes inside the pipe (looking into it from the drain hole).

the wall with shower heads on has concrete backing.

If the base tiles are also glued to the concrete backing, it would be a big hassle to remove them without replacing them all...

thank you

Comment

another, considering how quick the leak develops (after filling up with water) and how much is leaking out (almost like a water fall), what is most likely? no shower pan membrane at all?

there got to be a big gap under the failed caulking, sipping water can not leak that much and quick. If there was a membrane under the tile and cement board, it would take time to leak out also, right?

what is the best way to fix this?
                obviously redo is one way, but considering the size, I guess it would be over 2K at least (tile alone would be over 1500$ - and hard to match the entire bathroom - the same tiles throughout....)

thank you

Comment

Good question! You're supposed to have a shower pan if it was installed correctly.

Repairing/replacing one is ALWAYS a hassle. But to do it right, you can't cut corners. The tile, backing, and cement bed must be removed. Then the pan also.

Might be lead, copper, or PVC membrane. More likely PVC. Very seriously doubt they used a Schluter system.

Since you have drywall open, you might be able to peek around and see a portion of the pan if it's there. Might not though.

You blocked the drain, put a few inches of water in the bottom, and things began to leak. It's the pan, drain, or combination of both. In my experience, 90% or more of people do not get "lucky" with just a drain repair for less than $100.00. The majority have to demo the bottom of the shower and redo the pan. I would suggest demoing and putting pan material on the seat area also. A good tile person should know what to do.

Remember, this is based on the test you say you performed on the bottom of the shower.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Ask friends, co-workers, family for a recommended & licensed plumber. They might have one of these to help diagnose things. It's what I use when needed.

J.C.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking at the height of the curb in pic 2 I would bet there is no shower pan. I bet this has been a problem for a while based on the nasty caulk job. To fix this right you will likely need to tear it out and install a proper pan. I would also suggest (as have others) that you tear out the garage ceiling and replace the drywall. A leak as you describe does not usually happen overnight, it tends to progress slowly, I bet there is a bunch of mold on the drywall already, wear a proper mask when tearing out the drywall. Of course you could always hack it and by an extra large tube of silicon to seal it up enough that it will only leak enough to feed your mold collection

Comment

Since you already got a hole to fix make it bigger and see if you can see were the water is comming from

The gushing water must have a easy path to follow to leak that fast

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          Dare I say it... nah I will bite my tongue.
                          I'll say it. Holy flying f*** people, the man can afford a multiple grohe shower system and he's leeching us for free information so he can save a buck!!! How about yoyo calls a plumber and pays him to do a proper job?? His shower cost more than my first 2 cars. We're not talking about someone who has gotten screwed by a plumber and wanted a second opinion, he just wants the free information so he doesn't have to pay a plumber. We're screwing our plumbing brethen in IL by giving this guy step by step instructions. Why is it always the engineers who want the free ticket?

Yes, I do feel better now.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sorry if my questions offended you, and sorry if I am not supposed to ask help from experts in this thread.

I bought this house with the shower system with it -- well, sort of. There is zero trim on it. I did get a plumber, a recommended one by the big plumbing supply house around here, to fix and trim the whole thing (along with other plumbing fixes)
                            A month later, I still had nothing (no, I did not haggle the price) but delays.

So I found this forum, I asked a question about the Grohe thermostat, I got answer right away, and I trimmed the whole thing myself, thanks to all the experts here. Thank you guys again!

With the help from generous experts in this thread, I think we have a primary suspect of this whole leak issue - the shower pan - guess the previous plumber never bothered to put one in.

With this information, now I can ask for recommendations again and get it fixed properly.

The power of the internet and forums like this is that you get real expert opinions. Each occupation has different levels of competence/experience.

My sincere thanks to all the experts here again.

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            I'll say it. Holy flying f*** people, the man can afford a multiple grohe shower system and he's leeching us for free information so he can save a buck!!! How about yoyo calls a plumber and pays him to do a proper job?? His shower cost more than my first 2 cars. We're not talking about someone who has gotten screwed by a plumber and wanted a second opinion, he just wants the free information so he doesn't have to pay a plumber. We're screwing our plumbing brethen in IL by giving this guy step by step instructions. Why is it always the engineers who want the free ticket?

Comment

Oh btw, I got the plumbing company recommended by the manufacturer to put in the tankless water heater system a month ago (and I have done research a lot on it before that), and they have done a lot of these before.
                              I paid the asking price, no price haggling.

Right now, my system is still not working properly. Why? The exhaust pipe was not sloped properly so water blocked the whole pipe. Also, the gas line is not sized properly for the length of run.

My research into the system myself lead to prevention of some other issues, and discovery of one of these issues. If I was not informed at all, the system would be dead by now. I am waiting for them to fix it - tomorrow - already waited 3 weeks.

I am not bashing them.

Point is: Each individual has different level of experiences. Forums like this one with experts willing to helping the regular folks are invaluable!

I will report back in a few days after getting a camera inspection.

thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post

Guess I said too much. I'll try to do better.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X