X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporadic water temperature while showering

I'm having sporadic change in water temperature while showering. The water runs from acceptable temp to hotter, then cooler, then back to acceptable temp throughout the course of a shower.

There are no other water sources running at the time of the shower, such as dishwasher, washing machine, sprinklers, toilet, etc.

Not separate hot and cold handles, the fixture is the pull on single knob style.

Any insight?

Re: Sporadic water temperature while showering

Need to know the model and brand before we can make a guess.

Comment

tank or tankless heater

handheld shower or shower head?

pull out and turn sounds like a moen.

while this is going on, can you test the temperature at a sink 2 handle faucet and get back with all the results.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

3 years later, still no plumber called.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12110

J.C.

Comment

Shower head, not hand held. The water heater is a tank type not the tankless and is heated by gas. Do not know the brand of fixture it is? I did replace the cartridge about a year ago (purchased at Home Depot, maybe 5 inches long and about 1/2 inch in diamter) but do not think the change in temperature started with the new cartridge?

Other comments - The temperature problems are what my wife is experiencing in "her" shower (I use the shower on the first floor) but I do notice in my shower (first floor) that after she has showered it might have filled the cool water line to my shower with some of the hot water.

JCsPlumbing - that thread you linked was for a friend of mine and is not related to this issue but I am impressed with your throughness in gathering all the facts. Not sure if she ever called a plumber (I know it was nothing I wanted to get involved with).

Rick, I will try the sink while she is showering but the only two handle faucet is down stairs.

Many thanks for your time guys.
          Last edited by Jackford; 07-05-2010, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Take the aerator off the bathroom sink faucet where the shower is acting up.

Turn on the hot of same sink faucet at shower temperature to see if it does the same thing.

Report back. Thinking....

J.C.

Comment

how old of a water heater?

is there a circ pump on the line?

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The cartridge you described does sound like a Moen 1225.
                If so, then your valve could be a Moentrol pressure balanced
                model with a separate balancing spool, #1423. It would located
                to the right of center and may be accessible by removing the
                cover plate. It will have a screwdriver slot cover on the chamber.
                Be sure the water is off. There may be integral stops on either side
                of the valve so you can turn off the water without going outside.
                Replacing or cleaning that spool may solve your problem.

Comment

Hi Guys,

JC - I did the water test while the wife was showering and did not feel any fluctuation in temp but her shower was working fine that day as well. I also cranked on the hot and then tried the cold from upstairs as well as down stairs and that did not really interfear with her show temp either.

Rick - No circ pump involved here. I would describe the water heater as old (maybe 10-15 years?)

Big Jim - I replaced the cartridge a year or so ago so I do not remember seeing any fancy slots or screwdriver adjustments (does not mean it was not there). Only a hot line and a cold line meeting where I replaced the cartridge, which was about the size of my finger. I remember I had to turn off the water to replace this cartridge. There was a small clip in the front that kept the cartridge back in place. I did give the cartridge a good smear of grease when I installed.

This morning for the first time I felt the water temp fluctuate in my shower too. She was using hers while I was showering at the same time and felt pulses of warm and cooler water.

I think I also heard a different sound from the pipes (or the upstairs shower) as the temp would vary.

Any more insight? (much appreciated)

Comment

Has to be the cartridge 1225

Comment

Is the hot and cold water pressures the same at the shower tap.?

Tony

Comment

I call Moen and suggest replacing the cartridges in both valves. Could be that there is a pressure balancing spool that is directly above the cartridge instead of right of center. Had a similar problem and that corrected the issue. Have you checked the toilet to make sure that it is not leaking water through the flapper and refilling while the shower is going? That would be only if there is no balancing spool.

Comment

Have you taken the water saver out of the shower head yet
                          More flow will help keep it in balance

Comment

any chance there's an anti-sweat mixing valve on one or more of the toilets?

just another thought

Comment

Working...
                            X