X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irrigation pump problem

Hopefully someone can help me. I have a Grundfos CU301 system (pump and controller). This system operates the irrigation for my property. The controller regulates the pressure on the system. Recently the pressure dropped from 70 psi to 40 psi. Over the years I have been able to walk up to the control box and raise or lower the pressure as needed. Last week the controller "froze" and will not allow me to make any adjustments. A red "lock" symbol is now evident. By going on line and talking to a couple of pump guys I have discovered that a special "R 100" remote control is needed to disable the lock. Does anyone have an R 100 controller that I could get hold of or some experience in disabling this safety from inside the controller.

Re: Irrigation pump problem

Do you have a flashing red light or a solid red light?

Go to the control panel and press the two arrows simultaneously for about 5 to 8 seconds and see what happens.

Thanks.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 07-05-2010, 11:31 PM.

Comment

You don't need the R100 remote

Hold the two arrow buttons in simultaneously for 5 seconds and the keyboard will unlock

Change your setting and you can relock it.
      This feature is to lock keypad to keep homeowners from setting pressure above system shutoff capabilities, thus burning up pump.

Comment

Damn, JCS beat me

Comment

just got off the phone with the rookie

he tried the double arrows with no luck

the pump and controller is probably from 1996, but is seasonal / non winter months, for irrigation use only.

i guess the controller makes the pump a variable speed drive as there is no pump pressure tank connected to this system.

is there another way to reset or a power on power off sequence

rookie and i are city slickers and not country boys

is the inferred remote something still available if need be?

thanks,

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I'm pretty sure the remote is not needed. Pushing the arrows should override the lockout.

Can you straightwire the pump to confirm it to be good?

J.C.

Comment

as far as i know the pump is running, but at a lower psi.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

JC, It's a solid red light all the time but when I push both arrows at the same time then it will blink for that moment. The goofy thing is also that I cannot turn off the system from the on/off button that is green. There is a sub panel right next to the control box so I can turn it off that way if I want to.

Comment

Been awhile since I've read up on "constant pressure" pump systems. So we all might learn something from each other.

If I recall, there are multiple things working together on these that are dependent on one another so it can be frustrating.

The tank has to be set correctly. There is a pressure sensor, controller, & pump all reading one another.

Rick reminded us the pump is working, just not up to pressure or you're unable to increase pressure. I'm thinking the pump is fine as it is a variable speed pump and probably is just not getting a proper reading from the controller and/or the pressure sensor.

I'd focus there. You can check for blockage at the sensor. But I'm leaning toward controller replacement.

You should not need the remote to unlock or use the system.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks JC, your probably on the right track but I have talked to a couple of pump guys who are familiar with this problem and insist that they can remedy my problem with their remote control. It also sounds like this problem will reoccur again. Also it does not sound like the new controller is compatible with the old pump.

Comment

60/80 pressure switch, cycle stop valve, and hit that controller with a hammer.

(Honestly, please report if the Cali. pump boys get it working with the remote. I can learn something new too!)

Later.

J.C.

Comment

60/80 pressure switch, cycle stop valve, and hit that controller with a hammer.
                        I would have given the same advice. Get rid of that electronic junk and go back to basics. Electronics and Mechanics are just not compatible yet.
                        Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I'm surprised the pump lasted that long. The controller has STB.
                          sigpic

Comment

I had an R100 once, besides allowing single PSI digit adjustments (versus 5), reading pump rpm, cycles, and a few other items it was purely optional to have.

I'm thinking controller too. Note its not a speed controller, the pump motor is a variable speed unit, that it controls.

Try removing and cleaning the transducer sensor, it has a very small inlet hole for pressure sensing.
                            Last edited by Lee H; 07-06-2010, 05:33 PM.

Comment

STB??? Is that like ADD?

Comment

Working...
                              X