X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help !! Estimate/Advice

Last edited by TheKOArtist; 07-08-2010, 10:48 AM.

Re: Need Help !! Estimate/Advice

That is just plain NASTY!
    You have a myriad of challenges:

1. shut the bathroom down, turn off the water etc. if you have another bathroom use it and secure the room and stay out of it unless you're fixing it

2. remove all fixtures toilet & sink and moldings around the room

3. inspect the floor for obvious rot and damage
    wear a mask as there is obvious MOLD!!!!! REMOVE MOLD properly

4. repair the rotted floor, and damaged walls [carpenter and building
    permit]

5. inspect and repair plumbing supply and drains [plumber and
    permit]

6. replace all old fixtures with new ones [properly installed of course]

The cost? I'd say from the photos hard to tell. You do not indicate the square footage of the bathroom but I suspect $150-$250 a square foot. The MOLD damage may have gone up higher inside the walls etc. I'd say plan on $5000.00 or more depending upon what new fixtures you select and what you'll select for a new finish floor [I suggest porcelain floor tile] The cost will also depend upon how badly damaged your floor is as there may also be serious structural damage!

save your shekels it's gonna be expensive..you may be able to save some money by doing the demolition yourself but again with the mold you have there are special steps to address that

good luck!!!

Cactus Man

Comment

how would we know what you want? go to where you are going to buy materials at and get prices. breid...................

Comment

Definitely hire a carpenter.

Comment

Im looking to buy the cheapest material.
          Well, you're off to a bad start, since you are limiting your choices to the cheapest materials you can find. They might be the least expensive going in, but down the road they might cost more, so keep an open mind when selecting materials, fixtures, etc. as to what the true cost is.

You came her asking for the advice of pros, so when they tell you don't go with the cheapest what will you do? Follow the advice of those who know, or listen to your wallet?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

CALL SOME CONTRACTORS IN YOUR AREA ! ?

THERE IS NO WAY SOMEBODY NO MATTER HOW EXPERIENCED CAN PRICE

THAT JOB ! FROM 500 TO 2,OOO MILES AWAY

HAVE NO IDEAL WHAT FIXTURES,PARTS,MATERIALS, PERMITS, INSPECTION,

STATE LICENSE ETC. COST IN YOUR SMALL PART OF THE BUCKEYE STATE !
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I realize you're new here but think logically for a moment.

How can someone in Arizona or Canada or California give you a dollar figure!!!

How much does a 2x4 cost there? Arizona? Canada? California?
              How much does ABS pipe cost? or for that matter a new toilet?

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and price a new toilet, 3/4" plywood, 2x6 lumber nails etc etc.

Talk to the help desk and see if they can refer you to a REPUTABLE contractor to give you an estimate. Remember you will be required to get building permits...talk to your building inspector department and ask for an inspection to help determine work that is required....
              warning..that may cost you a lot as he may find other critical problems!

You indicate you have no knowledge base regarding this stuff, That's OK what does your cousin do for a living? If he has no knowledge base for the job use him to demolish and haul trash....not repair or build.

YOU need to get skilled professionals to do this job!
              Can you operate a nail gun safely?
              Can you operate a tile saw?
              Can you safely operate or own power tools?
              Can you do plumbing repairs?
              Do you know how to install a toilet properly?
              Can you do rough carpentry? plumbing? electrical?
              Can you do finish carpentry? plumbing? electrical?
              Do you know the building codes for your area?

Yes we can root for you and encourage you, but there is no way we can estimate your job..besides we do not know what's under the floor, or the condition of the plumbing...likely it's galvanized and must be replaced, or the condition of the electrical..in bathroom remodels you must have a GFCI circuit etc.etc.

Please accept this in a positive direction for learning that watching the DIY TV remodel shows do not present reality! It's obvious you're in the beginner skill level.

We are rooting for you to do it right and safely

Cactus Man

Comment

Can you get a picture of the underside of that bathroom, maybe from basement? Not sure how you get a toilet to lean that bad without structural issues. Was this always a bathroom? One of the pics shows a black line in front of the toilet that may have been a partition wall

Comment

It is a real simple answer, any Forum that gives you an estimate will be inaccurate. Think about it, you would probably get a different price every time from people locally. So, for someone to estimate that over the web would be doing you a disservice.

As far as materials, don't be cheap on the foundation of any project. After all, it's the foundation of the project!

You need to get good look at the framing and subfloor. I'd say replacement with treated materials. The increased cost of that is so negligible I won't debate it.

Once you get the "bones" of the structure in order, you might be able to save some here and there on the things you actually can put your hands on to change easily if necessary.

Many people make the opposite mistake, cheapening what they don't have to look at and spending more on what they see. Not recommended.

Good luck. But again, that cannot be estimated accurately on any Forum.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                    Can you get a picture of the underside of that bathroom, maybe from basement? Not sure how you get a toilet to lean that bad without structural issues. Was this always a bathroom? One of the pics shows a black line in front of the toilet that may have been a partition wall
                    I never seen a toilet lean that bad in my career either.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      I never seen a toilet lean that bad in my career either.

I have seen one this week

Tk what ever work you get done ...Dont do it half way or you will be doing it again very soon

Comment

by by

you know my wrestling coach here in indiana would not of cut an run. must be the difference between indiana and ohio. breid...........

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                          I realize you're new here but think logically for a moment.

How can someone in Arizona or Canada or California give you a dollar figure!!!

How much does a 2x4 cost there? Arizona? Canada? California?
                          How much does ABS pipe cost? or for that matter a new toilet?

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and price a new toilet, 3/4" plywood, 2x6 lumber nails etc etc.

Talk to the help desk and see if they can refer you to a REPUTABLE contractor to give you an estimate. Remember you will be required to get building permits...talk to your building inspector department and ask for an inspection to help determine work that is required....
                          warning..that may cost you a lot as he may find other critical problems!

You indicate you have no knowledge base regarding this stuff, That's OK what does your cousin do for a living? If he has no knowledge base for the job use him to demolish and haul trash....not repair or build.

YOU need to get skilled professionals to do this job!
                          Can you operate a nail gun safely?
                          Can you operate a tile saw?
                          Can you safely operate or own power tools?
                          Can you do plumbing repairs?
                          Do you know how to install a toilet properly?
                          Can you do rough carpentry? plumbing? electrical?
                          Can you do finish carpentry? plumbing? electrical?
                          Do you know the building codes for your area?

Yes we can root for you and encourage you, but there is no way we can estimate your job..besides we do not know what's under the floor, or the condition of the plumbing...likely it's galvanized and must be replaced, or the condition of the electrical..in bathroom remodels you must have a GFCI circuit etc.etc.

Please accept this in a positive direction for learning that watching the DIY TV remodel shows do not present reality! It's obvious you're in the beginner skill level.

We are rooting for you to do it right and safely

Cactus Man
                          cut and run ? haha this guy pretty much said what needed to be said. So thats all there is to it. And im from san diego not ohio im in ohio helping a freind with the highschool wrestling team for 4 months. Nice try though buddy leave your smart *** remarks to yourself.

Comment

Working...
                          X