HELP! Shower faucet valve repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Shower faucet valve repair

The cold water valve on our shower was getting increasingly mushy, every time we used it we had to turn the valve a little further to shut it off then last night we couldn't shut the cold water off completely. So this morning I shut off the main water, removed the valve guts and got a replacement from our local plumbing store. I used the special L tool to remove the valve seat. I tried to install the new seat but couldn't get it to thread, so peered in with a flashlight and saw that there was a crack in the threads (running perpendicular to the threads) at the 6 o'clock position and that area appears bent. Hard to see back there but it also appears that there might be a crack running parallel to the threads at the 3 o'clock position. Questions:
    - could this have happened as we tried to close the valve tighter and tighter since it started to leak?
    - could I have done this while removing the old valve seat?
    - could I have don this while trying to install the new seat? I did not apply much pressure, just enough to try and catch the threads
    - is there any way to fix this w/o opening up a hole in the wall (which will require removing tile)?
    - is there any way that I can convince my husband that this wasn't my fault????? since I was the last one to use the shower before it broke AND the one that tried to repair it?

Re: HELP! Shower faucet valve repair

i have been at this for 61 years and i have never broke a faucet like this. it was already broke when it got "mushy". moot question. yes tile will be removed or wall opened on backside breid.............

Comment

The problem with 2 & 3 valve diverters is...people think they have to crank down on the handle to shut them off. When you use the proper torque to turn off the handle, whatever is in the spout or shower head is coming out regardless how much you tighten it. (unless washers and seats are worn really bad)

Think of it like this..your bath spout is the biggest spout in your home. It's one of those things in where you have to walk away from it for 5-10 minutes, and come back to see if it's still dripping. Same goes for shower only applications. If it's a shower only, I always take the shower head off, cause water gets trapped in the shower head itself, and people assume the shower is leaking.

Ask your Plumber to show you how to properly turn off your handles, and I'm willing to bet the life of your washers and seats will last a lot longer. But also keep in mind quality of water plays a big part as well, when it comes to Plumbing fixtures and faucets.

Just my .02
      Last edited by Flux; 07-07-2010, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Oh gosh, thank you for your response. I'll let my husband know that a master plumber says it couldn't have been me!

Unfortunately, this wall is an exterior wall so busting the tile will be the only option. I wonder if we should consider making the hole big enough to replace the hot water valve, too. We replaced the guts in it last year but left the seat since we couldn't get it out. What causes the threads on the seat connection to distort and crack like that? House was built in 1993, that doesn't seem THAT old.

Comment

Originally posted by angelah100 View Post
          Oh gosh, thank you for your response. I'll let my husband know that a master plumber says it couldn't have been me!

Unfortunately, this wall is an exterior wall so busting the tile will be the only option. I wonder if we should consider making the hole big enough to replace the hot water valve, too. We replaced the guts in it last year but left the seat since we couldn't get it out. What causes the threads on the seat connection to distort and crack like that? House was built in 1993, that doesn't seem THAT old.
          Now I didn't say that..lol You both more than likely turn off the handle too tight. Everyone is guilty of it.

Comment

So... is there anything we can do for a 'long term' temporary repair? If we could get the seat to stay in place somehow, the valve would work at least for a while. We tried bending the bent portion back in place but couldn't. The seat won't thread on, not just because of the crack but because it is bent it is now a larger diameter opening that we are trying to thread into. Do they make larger seats that we could try to screw in there? There is not a shut off for the water to this shower, except for the main water shutoff valve to the house. I've been going outside and turning on the main valve so that I can do laundry, dishes and showers but it is not very convenient (3 small children, lots of laundry). It is going to take some time to find a plumber and finding tile to match 20 yr old bathroom. Not really in the mood for a master bath remodeling job right now....

However, am still relieved that it was not my repair job that broke the darn thing altho I will be take communal responsibility along with everyone else that has shut off the valves too enthusiastically.

Comment

Check your private message box !
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

A valve replacement should not be considered major remodeling.
                If there is no access in the wall behind the valve, then a hole can
                be made on the tub side no bigger than necessary to be covered by
                a remodel plate. Your plumber should be able to install a single handle,
                pressure balanced valve of your choice without involving a tile man or
                any other tradesman. A three handle valve body in good condition might
                be repaired by drilling and re-tapping the seat threads, but one that is
                cracked...forget it. Don't waste time or money on a temporary fix.
                Go ahead and have the valve replaced. A good repair plumber should
                have the necessary skill and resources to do the job at a reasonable
                price, within a reasonable time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by angelah100 View Post
                  The cold water valve on our shower was getting increasingly mushy, every time we used it we had to turn the valve a little further to shut it off then last night we couldn't shut the cold water off completely. So this morning I shut off the main water, removed the valve guts and got a replacement from our local plumbing store. I used the special L tool to remove the valve seat. I tried to install the new seat but couldn't get it to thread, so peered in with a flashlight and saw that there was a crack in the threads (running perpendicular to the threads) at the 6 o'clock position and that area appears bent. Hard to see back there but it also appears that there might be a crack running parallel to the threads at the 3 o'clock position. Questions:
                  - could this have happened as we tried to close the valve tighter and tighter since it started to leak?
                  - could I have done this while removing the old valve seat?
                  - could I have don this while trying to install the new seat? I did not apply much pressure, just enough to try and catch the threads
                  - is there any way to fix this w/o opening up a hole in the wall (which will require removing tile)?
                  - is there any way that I can convince my husband that this wasn't my fault????? since I was the last one to use the shower before it broke AND the one that tried to repair it?

Your a super mom to attempt this! I am actually impressed! My wife won't get near anything that requires repairs.

Comment

Working...
                  X