How to replace the plumbing here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to replace the plumbing here?

I am currently gutting my upstairs bathroom. As you can see in the first picture, the original plumbing was put in the floor right under the wall. Might have been smart at that time, but not anymore, since I dont have any idea on how to get to that plumbing (waste pipe) to remove it. I dont want to remove the wall and tear up the floor, since - what you can see in the picture as the subfloor - is actually the hardwood floor in the next room.

I am not sure if that is the right place to ask the question, but I am trying to avoid major demo. is the only way to open up the ceiling in the room below?
    Attached Files

Re: How to replace the plumbing here?

sounds like they notched the top of the floor joist to run the waste pipe just under the floor. does that sound correct?

problem you have is unless the joist are running parallel with the pipe, you will have a hell of a time drilling your joist bays to get the pipe in.

since i can't see a whole lot with the 1 photo, does this seem to make sense?

typically notching is not permitted more than 25% of the joist and usually only within a few feet of the supporting walls.

never notch the bottom of a joist

drilling is also approx 25% of the joist., but how will you get piping between all the joist centers?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Actually, the joists run parallel to the piping (or vice versa). So that is not the problem. the problem is more that right on top of the piping in the floor joist, they have a wall. If I can get to it, I can probably take out the pipe and hopefully get it out of the Y going into the cast iron stack and then replace the entire thing with new plumbing. The way it looks I dont think there is any other way than trying to get to it from the downstairs, since it probably will be a major undertaking to take out the wall, rip out the floor (which turns into the hardwood floor of the next room and then take out the plumbing and put everything back together.

The problem is that the room under that room is the kitchen and the cabinets are in the way of easy access...

I guess I'm screwed... Unless someone finds a different solution I didn't think of yet

Comment

Originally posted by Peter76 View Post

The problem is that the room under that room is the kitchen and the cabinets are in the way of easy access...

I guess I'm screwed... Unless someone finds a different solution I didn't think of yet
        peter, post some more photos. a couple wider angle shots and maybe a couple closeups.

hard to see what is being described with the 1 photo.

there's always a way. it might not be simple, but there is a way

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

What exactly do you want to do?

J.C.

Comment

The first picture is a wider angle of the same spot - where you can see the piping running parallel to the joists. The pipe coming up is obviously a vent pipe. I didnt open the entire floor yet, but to the left of the vent pipe there is also a floor drain that used to be a shower. I dont know yet what they did with the joists there.

Name:  86e89337805ca137513215545b47fd13.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  33.7 KB

The second picture shows the stack coming up and going into the attic. This is where the pipe is connected (most likely, since uncofirmed so far). Sorry, it was a bit difficult to get there so the shot is not that great. The pipe in the foreground is a vent pipe coming up from the first floor. The first 2x4 you see in the picture is actually where the wall of the bathroom is and that is where the pipe should sit. So what I am assuming is that they put a 45 in there to direct the pipe over to the stack.

Name:  6b89ad4bb953095d82cd2256b0116479.jpg
Size:  34.4 KB

The last picture shows the floor on the other side of the wall just to make it a bit clearer that the wood planks seen on the first picture are actually really the hardwood floor.

Name:  72d8a5a5fc20649b7e2a46cf3d2dc821.jpg
Size:  24.1 KB

I don't have any pictures yet from anywhere else, since my wife would probably call the cops if she woke up and saw someone running around taking pictures

Comment

In the first picture, that back vent is illegal. But then again..when that was done, it probably wasn't in the code.

Comment

My goal is to get rid of that plumbing and put replace it with new plumbing, which I will route according to code (the first installation was done 1950) and also to my needs.

Comment

I can see no way out of tearing the wall and the floor up.
                  sigpic

Comment

You need a contractor to make sure the structural integrity will be
                    maintained as well as code compliance for your area. This will be
                    a major job and you don't want to cut corners.

Comment

Thank you guys. I was afraid of that, but I do agree that it should be done right.

Comment

Working...
                      X