X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving the drain/installing kerdi drain

hi, i am renovating my bathroom and need help with the drain.

i removed the old tub and plan to install a shower. i need to extend the drain pipe about 2 ft and am planing to use kerdi drain. i live on the 4th floor of an 6 stories apt building in nyc.

here are images of
    1. how it was before
    Click image for larger version

Name:	99aaf1202dcb4c7016910ca549ed4f58.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	11289

2. photo of the stacks running through my wall

Name:	d4809dbce940f7c4aeab27b757e7ff65.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	11291

3. what i am planning to do
    (cut drain pipe + fernco + p-trap + kerdi drain)

Name:	668131a7eef24403492e23a7721d806f.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	11290

is this a good plan?

i am new to plumbing and need all the feedback and help i can get.

thanks,

Tom

Re: moving the drain/installing kerdi drain

no fernco. why not hire a licensed plumber to put in drain. you know if you screw up the cast in the wall you are up the creek without a paddle. hugely expensive to fix. your call. breid............

Comment

6 story apartment building with wood joists? WOW!

Comment

1920's

have they had lots of problems in the building with leaks? i would think they are going to have a major repipe coming up.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

do it

Comment

thanks to all for replies.

this is an early 1900s building in nyc.

i can not hire a licensed plumber since i am on a budget.

as i can see in my ceiling, they did exactly what i am planning to do in the apt above and i had no leaks from there for over 2 years.

why no fernco? why would cutting the pipe as shown in my drawing/photo screw up cast iron?

what would be an alternative solution?

or is this a good plan as LThompson seems to suggest?

i am confused with mixed replies. any specific information will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
            Last edited by Apt4C; 07-11-2010, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Looks like galvanized drain arm threaded into cast tee.
              If I were doing it, I would remove the galvey completely from the C.I.
              and go with PVC from the tee. But since you are doing this yourself
              with no experience and probably limited tools your original idea is OK.
              Nothing wrong with a fernco but you need to be very careful when
              cutting the old pipe. Don't move it or allow it to vibrate. A grinder
              with a cut off blade would be your best bet. Cut it as far back as
              possible to eliminate as much of the galvey as you can.

Comment

" i removed the old tub and plan to install a shower "

What size pipe is that your tying into?

Comment

Originally posted by Apt4C View Post
                  thanks to all for replies.

this is an early 1900s building in nyc.

i can not hire a licensed plumber since i am on a budget.

as i can see in my ceiling, they did exactly what i am planning to do in the apt above and i had no leaks from there for over 2 years.

why no fernco? why would cutting the pipe as shown in my drawing/photo screw up cast iron?

what would be an alternative solution?

or is this a good plan as LThompson seems to suggest?

i am confused with mixed replies. any specific information will be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
                  NYC plumbing codes are very strict, I would say even stricter than Chicago. To best answer your questions and to ensure you are doing things to code, you should contact the building department and speak with a plumbing inspector. They will tell you what is allowed and not allowed. You have to do this to code since if you mess something up it will not only affect you but who ever lives below and around you.

Here in Chicago, we are not allowed to use PVC pipe or fittings on any building over 3 stories. Ferncos, no-hub, and the rubber gasket used for cast iron hubs is not allowed at all in Chicago.

You state you can not afford to hire a licensed plumber, The reason they charge the rates they do is because they are licensed, insured and bonded. If they screw something up their insurance will cover the repairs needed. If you screw something up, and repairs o other units or the building are going to be on you. So the question is can you really afford not to hire a professional? But at a minimum make sure you talk to the plumbing inspector, and get a permit to CYA (cover your a**).
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

If you use a grinder to cut off the pipe watch out where the sparks are flying. There is a ton of 100 year old wood that could go up in flames. There probably are some pockets where the sparks could fall down into the wall/ceiling below. Probably better to use a hack saw if you can get in there. Also, in Toronto showers by code are supposed use 2 inch DWV pipe. What does NYC code call for?

Comment

i can guarantee you that what you wont to do will not float in hicktown indiana. new york actually has some rules like ratz said. the ones of us that are saying no really have your best interests at heart. we have had the honor of repairing fubars before. you will do what you wont. are you going to use the whole schluter shower system? if so it is the only good idea that you have mentioned yet. something else. are your neighbors going to turn you in? guess where you are at then? if you put this all together and it leaks, where are you at now? your call. breid...................

Comment

Also when you go to sell your place, they are going to realize you modified the plumbing with out a permit. I had a job where a brother of the home owner remodeled a bathroom in the basement without a permit. The inspector made them open the tiled floor and walls to show if it was done properly, which of course it was not and required a licensed plumber to come in and make the corrections which involved more of the tile and marble to be removed.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That plumbing has been there for close to if not longer than 100 years. I can guarantee that if you mess with that galvanized you are looking at a leak. A plumber would remove the galvy back to the CI hub and lead in a transition. If you are installing a shower the drain is undersized also and needs to be increased to 2". Be mindful that anything you F up means water leaking through the downstairs apartments ceiling. Usually right on top of the big screen TV and surround sound
                          sigpic

Comment

I'll try just about anything once but I also own what I am working on and have no opportunity to affect others. 100 year old pipes can thin and break if you put too much torque on them but this has already been pointed out.

The only thing I have to add is you need to cap off that open vent above and to the right of the pipe you are working on (pic 2) and make sure the trap remains full or you need to plug that as well or you will fill your apartment with sewer gas.

In pic 2 the pipe under the one you are working on appears dark, is there already a leak?

Comment

Why remove a tub which can still serve as a shower?
                              Though I always take showers to save water and gas and be cleaner,
                              there have been a few times where I needed to relax sore muscles in a hot bathtub.

Is not a 2-inch drain required for a shower?

How did they get the inverted triple wye? Did they make them just for the job?

In our local plumbing code a Fernco may not be allowed to be horizontal and, if allowed vertical, may be required to be accessable.
                              I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                              It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                              "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
                              X