X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underground supply line for a garden

I would like to put a supply line underground. It can have threaded connections at each end, so i can connect it to the house's outdoor hose bib when I need it, but disconnect it when I don't.

At the other end (near the garden) I can have a threaded end for a sprinkler, etc.

I get very cold winters - the frost like is about 4 feet in my area. My question is, if i blow out the line with compressed air before each winter, can I bury it just underneath the surface of the soil? Also, should I use copper or pvc?

Re: underground supply line for a garden

I would slightly pitch it back to the house, and install a boiler drain, draw off, hose bib, (what ever you guys call it up there) and just drain it every fall. (if you have basement) (also assuming you don't make a trap by accident with fittings)

If you're on a slab, I wouldn't even attempt it.

Comment

sure. winterize it with rv anti-freeze. fill with af. i have a customer in indiana that does that with her hoses. goes -15c to -25c. here. she just dumps it in. breid...................................

Comment

what about materials? Should i use copper or pvc?

Comment

Pex.

J.c.

Comment

Did something similar with a kit called Mister Mister(think I found it at Loews),ran black poly underground about 12" down for about 50' and ran a loop around the flower garden,you can get different mini sprinkler heads(90 deg,180 deg,270 deg,360 deg,drippers) to install on it ,works great.I blow it out with compressed air each fall,remove the heads and reinstall them in the spring.It's been in the ground for 6 years in No. Illinois(we can get frost to 5') with out a problem,I did put a RPZ on it only because I had one laying around collecting dust.
            Last edited by leakfree; 07-13-2010, 04:48 PM.
            Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

PVC or polyethylene. If you slope it towards a drain of some sort, you don't even have to blow it out.

VERY IMPORTANT: you must install backflow prevention, or you risk serious issues.

Comment

Here is a pic of what I did on the inside. On the outside I transition to IPEX (home depot sprinkler isle - black pipe white stripe)

Bury it 4" or more in case you ever want to aerate your lawn with a core machine.

I used a gate valve for better flow and a regular valve for the drain. In the winter I blow out the sprinkler and then open the lower valve and drain whats left into a bucket. This feeds a 4 zone sprinkler but the principal for what you want to do is the same. Never used antifreeze at either house and have not had issue yet, just blow it out.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by wbrooks; 07-13-2010, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                  Here is a pic of what I did on the inside. On the outside I transition to IPEX (home depot sprinkler isle - black pipe white stripe)

Bury it 4" or more in case you ever want to aerate your lawn with a core machine.

I used a gate valve for better flow and a regular valve for the drain. In the winter I blow out the sprinkler and then open the lower valve and drain whats left into a bucket. This feeds a 4 zone sprinkler but the principal for what you want to do is the same. Never used antifreeze at either house and have not had issue yet, just blow it out.

Your backflow preventer is not an approved device for your sprinkler system. It should be a double check assembly, or an RPZ. what you have there is a duel check valve. The difference is a double check assembly is testable to ensure it is doing its job. The device be it a DCV or a RPZ should be tested yearly. But I do see you are in Canada, so codes I have to follow may not apply to you. But I would check what the requirements for backflow prevention is for your area.
                  Last edited by SewerRatz; 07-13-2010, 08:31 PM. Reason: corrected a typo
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out Ron. Once again Canadian codes may be a bit lax. Up here you can use a DCVA on all applications that are defined as moderate risk, some examples are irrigation without chemical injection, swimming pools, schools. An RP must be installed on applications classified as severe risk, some examples are blood clinic, gas station, golf course, hospital, funeral home.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                      Thanks for pointing that out Ron. Once again Canadian codes may be a bit lax. Up here you can use a DCVA on all applications that are defined as moderate risk, some examples are irrigation without chemical injection, swimming pools, schools. An RP must be installed on applications classified as severe risk, some examples are blood clinic, gas station, golf course, hospital, funeral home.
                      Here in Illinois when they say DCV its Double Checkvalve Assambly. If the requirement was a duel check, that is what they would call it a duel check. They would not call it a DCV. Below are the defnations out of my code book.

"Backflow Preventer, Double Check Valve Backflow Preventer Assembly (DCV)": A plumbing appurtenance consisting of 2 internally force-loaded, independently acting check valves which operate normally in the closed position; 2 tight closing resilient seated shut off valves; and 4 test cocks.

"Backflow Preventer, Dual Check Valve Type": A plumbing appurtenance consisting of 2 internally force-loaded, independently acting check valves, designed to operate normally in the closed position.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                      X